1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Digital Rear View Mirror - Is It A Thing?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ScootARoot, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Mar 23, 2021 at 1:13 PM
    Unorgnl-V

Unorgnl-V Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 superwhite TRD OR

The vantop camera comes with everything you need. I bought the USB power so I didn't have to plug it into any of the open facing ports in the cab.

I had the anytime front and rear camera prior to the vantop, those feed to my entune unit, they serve a different purpose. The vantop is nice for full visibility front & back, the other cameras offer additional viewing angles on trails as well.

2. Mar 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    IndyTac

IndyTac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB w/JBL
    Total Chaos bed stiffeners CaliRaised bed tie-downs CaliRaised 0-degree, bolt-on rock sliders Meso Customs Gas Hole JDM console and dash organizer Ceramic front tint Ceramic windshield coating Ziebart underbody and rust proofing Taco Garage Dashtop Multi-Mount (DMM) Black SR5 Grille Surround Swap Tacos4cheap Grille Badge Redarc Tow Pro Liberty Brake Controller Car Solutions Anytime Camera Mod TacoMods Radio Knobs Desert Does It Seat Jackers
    If you don’t like the block of wood, use black HDPE or pigment some epoxy and pour into a form.

3. Mar 23, 2021 at 1:48 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
  4. Mar 23, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    ScootARoot

ScootARoot [OP] Where's my keys

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR Black
    WOW! That's a lead time for sure!

When yours comes in, would you take off the OEM arm or just mount the back panel to the OEM arm?

Edit: How do you power your mirror? I've seen some plug into the ports center of the dash, and have seen where you run wires to a fuse box?

5. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM
    crashngiggles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    I actually didn't order it.....I just came up with this solution instead and I am happy with it. In with regards to powering it, I haven't run the wires as of yet, but I placed a power distribution block underneath my driver's seat. I am going to run the power cord up into my roof lining, across to the driverside A-pillar, and down under my dash. I am going to get a 12 volt socket like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07H1MGWFN/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A16CVBF2I7CB1S

and run it from my power distribution block that is underneath my seat so it always has power going to it (mine will run and record on a loop even when the truck is parked in case it gets hit when I have it parked) and the screen has an On/Off button underneath it so even though the screen will be off, it will still record. I have an X2 power agm battery so I am not worried about battery drain.

cmonjack likes this.
  6. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    ScootARoot

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR Black
    That's too cool. So you're essentially relocating your usb/cigarette plug to keep all the wiring clean? This eliminates having to run to your battery, and also allows you to use for other accessories that will need power? Sorry for the questions, just trying to learn a few things, and get some ideas for later down the road. I know my truck has the outlet in the bed, but I may try to do something similar in the bed later down the road

7. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:51 PM
    crashngiggles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    No problem at all....ask away. I ran 2 8awg wires from the battery to positive and negative distribution blocks from the very beginning. I did this because I have things like a cb radio, and 2 separate USB charging plugs for the back seat so both of my kids can plug in their tablets or phones. It just made things easier that way.

8. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:05 PM
    ScootARoot

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR Black
    That was a smart move. Do it all once, and now you have everything inside the cab. Makes it much easier.

Did you just run the wires from the battery through the cab and under the carpet? Is moving the liner and a-frame pillar section difficult? Did you use any special tools to snap the plastic piece free from the pillar?

Based on what you did with disassembling the OEM mirror I'm sure your work is pretty clean. I've done mechanical work, just haven't done much electrical work.

9. Mar 23, 2021 at 6:26 PM
    crashngiggles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    I have had another truck before I bought this one and learned to prepare for things ahead of future mods. You can tuck the wire up into the headliner and the A-Pillar is just 2 10mm bolts and it pulls right off. I ran the wires through the hole in the firewall, underneath my weathertech floormats, and mounted them under my seat.

10. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:12 AM
    ScootARoot

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR Black
    Thanks! I might buy one used from a member on here if they have all the hardware for installation. If not, I will go the Amazon route. Either way, this is bound to be helpful. Also your help will come in handy too. Thanks again!

11. Mar 24, 2021 at 5:00 AM
    crashngiggles

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Anytime......just shoot me a PM if you have any issues.

12. Mar 24, 2021 at 5:21 AM
    oogielaflick

oogielaflick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4-door; Prvious 23 year owner of 1996 Tacoma
    Quicksand with hood protector, color matching decals on tailgate latch, mudflaps, glovebox, and tailgate hitch cover.
  13. Mar 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM
    ScootARoot

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCSB OR Black
    That should be standard on all vehicles. Such a nice feature.

Also, I think he ran a red light. LOL. He broke so many laws filming that. :rofl: Dedication right there.

crashngiggles likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top