1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Diode Dynamics Elite Fog lights "Condensation"?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Toy2Guy, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:21 AM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hello Everyone,

I installed the "Elite" DD Fog lights. Being that it is Winter and Cold/Rain I have noticed alot of Condensation inside the light housing. I am wondering if other people have had this happen. I inquired to DD and they told me that is possible and would evaporate after "HEAVY" usage. I had them one for about 1/2 hour the other day no change both sides.?

Thanks for input/feedback.

2. Jan 20, 2023 at 7:45 AM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    No condensation on any of my DD lights. Check the gasket.

3. Jan 20, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    vicali

vicali Touch my camera through the fence

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Kam,BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 1D6
    Condensation inside means they have water in them, that means the seal is leaking or the lens is cracked.
    Warranty time.

edit, my Squadrons when I overtightened them..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    GilbertOz and odinsbro15 like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:36 AM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hello,
    There is no gasket as far as I can tell. This is the elite series fogs look like factory. They are a solid lens looking anyhow. They still put the light out nicely but I my concern is for how long as water and electronics do not mix.
    DD told me to use them "Heavily" for awhile then said they would warranty them if needed.

5. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hi,
    Not possible to overtighten these as the mounting bracket is separate from the lens. Only 1 screw holds them in place, same as factory ones.
    Thanks for the input.

6. Jan 20, 2023 at 9:39 AM
    jlemmond

jlemmond Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    josh
    Monroe, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    You are correct. I was thinking about the other lighting options from DD having a bolt on lense with a gasket.

vicali likes this.
  7. Jan 20, 2023 at 11:32 AM
    odinsbro15

odinsbro15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    LOS ANGELES CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Gray Tacoma trd offroad DCSB
    ROUGH COUNTRY FRONT 2 INCH LEVEL KIT, TINT, DIPPED RIMS, DITCH LIGHTS, CUSTOMER REAR FACING LIGHT, INTERIOR MATS
    @Diode Dynamics sounds like you may want to shoot this client a new set of lenses with gasket for customer satisfaction or at least as for them back for inspection. btw love your product. got my ss2 and getting ready for some ss3 and ss3 fog kits.

8. Jan 20, 2023 at 2:30 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    While researching Supernova LED lights for a clients bicycle I found this;
    "Why does my front lens fog up on the M99 and what can I do about it?

In a high-performance front light like the Supernova M99, the internal pressure fluctuates due to temperature differences. To compensate for this and still keep dirt and water away from the optical components, all Supernova M99 front lights are equipped with a breathable membrane like the ones found in modern car headlights. This membrane self-regulates to balance pressure and humidity without allowing salt, soot particles, or water to pass through. Nevertheless, small amounts of water vapor can get into the housing when humidity is high. These then settle on the coldest part of the front glass when the wind is cold. This is comparable to a mirror that has slightly fogged up. This is clearly visible from the outside, but up to a droplet size of 0.5 mm in diameter has no perceptible effect on the light image or on the service life of the electronics. The front lights are sealed for transport during production in Gundelfingen. Should you experience a large amount of moisture on the inside of the lens, you can remove the seal to allow moisture to equalize, which may take a few days depending on the environment
    ."

GilbertOz and Chew like this.
  9. Jan 23, 2023 at 6:32 PM
    Diode Dynamics

Diode Dynamics Automotive Lighting Experts Vendor

Member:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Hey all!

Some condensation is normal, lingering condensation or droplets of water is not. If this ends up being more than a temporary issue, we'll be glad to warranty under the 8-year policy on this product. Thanks!

10. Jan 23, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
  11. Jan 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hello,
    Well Pretty sure something is amiss as still condensation present in both lamps. Shipping was costly when I purchased these as I am in Canada. Will I have to pay again to return them? I have been taking pictures every couple days definitely condensation remaining after an hour of on time. Really don't want to return them as pretty pita to install for an old guy but may have to. I also put the connector on and then had to undo it and rotate it for both sides, 50/50 chance of getting it right. Maybe colour code the wiring to match Toyotas? Just a thought.

12. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:32 PM
    Rusty66

Rusty66 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    19' Limited Barcelona Red (01' TRD OR, 97’ SR5 V6, 88’ SR5 22RE)
    Periodic fogging is normal, if you have actual droplets inside the glass chances are it won't go away. The headlamps on both of my vehicles occasionally fog up. I buy desiccant bags and fasten them inside the housings after they come out of the oven.... some OE lights I open up actually have desiccant in them already.

13. Jan 24, 2023 at 5:34 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    I've got SS3 Max fogs and SS3 Pro ditch lights. Zero condensation.

14. Jan 25, 2023 at 11:34 AM
    Diode Dynamics

Member:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Please go ahead and give us a call at 314-205-3033 Monday-Friday 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. CST, or shoot us an email at contact@diodedynamics.com, and our service team would be happy to help you!

15. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Being located in Canada the LD charges would be costly. I have sent the pictures of the Elite Fog lights to you I have yet to hear back from anyone and it has been 3 days. The pictures clearly which show a significant amount of condensation still present. These are New Fogs only installed 2-3 weeks now on my truck.
    Bought from EBay Seller as your site showed back-ordered.

The email I got before sending pictures was that this is "Normal" when high humidity is present ie: winter time and that I need to use them under "HEAVY USAGE" conditions to try and evaporate the moisture which I tried a 1hr drive then another 1hr return trip with no change. Interestingly the SS3 version of the lights seem to have Zero Condensation.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:19 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    Vehicle:
    Show us the pictures! Post them up!

17. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    Diode Dynamics

Member:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Hey there!

I am sorry to hear about the response time or delivery issue. If there is no message found in your spam, please reply with your order number. If you were working with a specific team member, please feel free to let me know their name.

Overall, I've directly contacted our customer service team and will have them in touch with you before the end of the day.

Looking forward to hearing back!

Chew likes this.
  18. Feb 1, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    Toy2Guy

Toy2Guy [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco V6
    Hello there,

I have checked the Spam folder here just now. So I have the name of the person I had respond to the issue. No email yet but Thanks for your reply I am hoping this can be rectified.

LOGAN M. | SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE | DIODE DYNAMICS

Order info
    Time placed
    Dec 14, 2022 at 11:38
    Order number
    12-09470-05244
    Total
    US $252.80 (1 item)
    Sold by
    lightwerkz
    Diode Dynamics Elite Series Type B Fog Lamps (Yellow) Fits: Toyota / Lexus

US $220.00Unit price US $220.00

Item number:325270396924

Delivered on Sat, Dec 31, 2022

Paid
    Dec 14
    Shipped
    Dec 14
    Delivered
    Dec 31
    Tracking details
    Number
    UPAAF000000042123284

19. Feb 1, 2023 at 2:25 PM
    Diode Dynamics

Member:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Good afternoon!

I just spoke with Logan and he will be arranging a replacement set for you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Logan should follow up soon if he hasn't already with you!

Overall, I apologize on behalf for this inconvenience and cannot wait for our team to get you a fresh set of fog lamps.

shark56 and TacoDipVT like this.
  20. Feb 1, 2023 at 2:49 PM
    jkish17

jkish17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    -Dobinson’s IMS shocks on C59-354 coils -Dobinson’s rear shocks -Dobinson’s L59-111-R heavy leafs -Wheeler’ off road super bumpstops -Wheeler’s off road U-bolt flip -JBA Upper control arms. -35x12.5r17 Yoko Geo MT’s -17x7.5 4Runner spare steel wheels (Part #42611-35430) -Trailgear 1.5 spacers -C4 fabrication rock sliders -Relentless Fabrication High Clearance Rear Bumper, no swingout. -CBI T3 front plate bumper, no hoop/bullbar. -Ironman 4x4 12,000lb synthetic winch -Victory 4x4 roof rack -Softopper -CVC tuned -ExtremeLED lightbars in the roof rack and front bumper. -Baja Squadron's in the rear bumper -MESO customs stuff everywhere -Dobinson’s Zenith air compressor mounted under the hood -Homemade S-pod relay box -Entire sound system replaced and sound deadening added
    I'm actually having this same issue as well in both sides. This picture is atleast a week of no rain and the right side is still fogged up. They both get really bad with any rain though.

IMG_1316.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top