1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dip stick

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by DanGer, May 23, 2009.

1. Jun 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM
    mdbrjb

mdbrjb Member

Member:
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Cruise Control, Fog Lamps, Tonneau Cover, KYB Shocks, ScanGauge II, AFE ProDry, Prodigy Brake Controller
    My service manual is for 05 and 06. At the end of the section on changing the oil filter it gives the oil capacity (this is for the 2.7). It was 5.8 with filter change (this is the same as my owner's manual - 05). And 6.1 dry. (it also says without changing the filter, but I don't have the manual here at work so I can't tell you what it says.)

I wonder if they increased the capacity on later models? Or maybe they made a mistake on later owner manuals and put the dry, 6.1 figure. This would explain the dipstick problem.

I wonder what the 08 service manual says. I think you need to contact Toyota for clarification.

2. Jun 29, 2009 at 10:48 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I've actually been filling the engine with 5.5-5.75 qts and that seems to put the oil level at the fill mark so maybe the 6.1 qt requirement is for a dry engine. Someday I'll check with the dealer and see what their service manual says.

3. Jun 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The manual says.................

LUBRICANT​
    Item Capacity Classification​
    Oil grade - API grade SM, Energy-Conserving or ILSAC
    multigrade engine oil, SAE 5W-30
    w/ Oil filter change 5.8 liter (6.1 US qts, 5.1 lmp. qts) -
    w/o Oil filter change 5.1 liter (5.4 US qts, 4.5 lmp. qts) -​
    Dry fill 6.1 liter (6.4 US qts, 5.4lmp. qts) -

4. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Mine takes 5.4 qts WITH the filter change to get to the FULL mark on the dip shit. And believe me, that is after letting it drain for 2 hours.

5. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    mdbrjb

mdbrjb Member

Member:
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Cruise Control, Fog Lamps, Tonneau Cover, KYB Shocks, ScanGauge II, AFE ProDry, Prodigy Brake Controller
    Apologies! I stand corrected. :eek: My owners manual says 6.1 quarts. I was reading the liters instead of quarts. I need to check my service manual when I get home to see if I was also reading it wrong. (probably was...)

Back to the drawing board. 6.1 would be way over the high mark on the dipstick.

There is only one more guess as to the difference between the dipstick and the manual. What if we are all pushing the dipstick down all the way, when maybe it's supposed to be read when just resting and not pushed down? That would make about the right amount of difference. Is this far-fetched?

6. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    it would be the only vehicle in my life that that would hold for. I doubt it

7. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Pour half a quart in the filter & 5 in the motor, drive it & see where you are. Probably gonna be just about F on the dipstick.

8. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I think I'll just keep putting 5.5 qts in the engine. No need to make a mess trying to fill up the filter, the oil pump will do that for you. :)

9. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Isn't any harder than pouring it in the motor & my filter screws on facing up so no spills. Only lessens the dry clacking of the valvetrain on restart. Worth it to me.

10. Jun 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I stand corrected also. It does say "with oil and filter change." My mistake.

11. Jun 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    As well with the 09- it states 6.1 quarts. I know as soon as I got home after the purchase, I checked the oil on the truck, and it was at the same level as when I change the oil with 6.1 qts, which is about 3/8" above the full level on the stick... so thats what I have stuck with the first two oil changes.

12. Jun 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB

Am I missing something here? You do have a double cab V6 after all, do you not?

If this is the case, what would the amount of oil you use have anything to do with a I4? Excuse me if I am wrong here, I just don't understand your situation at the moment.

13. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:39 AM
    mdbrjb

mdbrjb Member

Member:
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I sent an email to Toyota explaining the problem. Hopefully they will respond and have an answer. If they do, I'll post it here.

Bob

14. Jun 30, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    You are THE MAN WITH THE PLAN!!!! Thanks!

15. Jun 30, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    mdbrjb

mdbrjb Member

Member:
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Well, I wish Toyota said a little more but here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate the opportunity to review your inquiry regarding maintenance for your 2005 Tacoma.

In general, the owners manual for the 2005 Tacoma recommends that the oil capacity with the filter is 6.1 quarts. It is also recommended that when changing the oil, to add five quarts of oil, start the engine, let the engine run for a short time, and then add the oil accordingly.

If you have any addition questions regarding the maintenance of your vehicle, we recommend you contact the Service Manager or Customer Relations Manager at your http://www.toyota.com/dealers local Toyota dealership.

We certainly hope this information has been helpful. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us via email or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM, Pacific Time, on Saturdays.

Thank you again for thinking of Toyota,

Michelle Nafziger
    Toyota Customer Experience

The way I read this is that you are to go by the dipstick regardless of what the manual says. I interpret "then add the oil accordingly" to mean to add oil until you reach the level on the dipstick. This is how I have been doing it and is how I will continue to do it.

Bob

16. Jun 30, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Toyota = Dip Shits

17. Jun 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    NAAC3TACO

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I maybe wrong, but I think we should go by the dipstick reading. Worst case scenario is that the engine will be slightly underfilled, which is better than being overfilled. Overfilling an engine can cause aeration in the oil pan that can lead to premature bearing wear. JMO.

18. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows

I would have to agree

19. Jun 30, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    mdbrjb

mdbrjb Member

Member:
    Spartanburg, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I really was hoping that Toyota would select one over the other. But I guess that they don't want to say one is wrong and the other is right.

There is one other possibility.

Let's imagine that under normal circumstances one can only drain from 5 to ? quarts. In other words there is always some oil in the engine and that amount can vary. The variation would depend on factors such as if the truck is level, the temperature of the oil, how long the oil is allowed to drain, etc. Based on this idea, one could never put a set volume of oil in the engine because you would never know how much was still in there. But one could always fill to the high mark on the dipstick regardless of how much came out and be confident that the oil level was adequate.

This would explain why they said to put 5 quarts in, run the engine, and then check the level. For some drains, 5 quarts would be enough. For others (like mine) 5.5 would be right. And why others in this thread say 5.8.

I can easily drain the oil on my Prerunner without lifting the front. But on some trucks I'll bet the owner puts it up on ramps (like I do the wife's Corolla). Up on ramps, I'll bet you can get a little bit more oil out. Some oil that has pooled in the engine would drain better when tilted.

Use the dipstick.

Bob

20. Jul 2, 2009 at 2:01 PM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    this all sounds like another ploy to get people to have to take their vehicles to the dealer to get an oil change...lol

To Top