1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dippers that have quit, Have you...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackwatertaco, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I tried chantix and it made me puke every time i took it, also some freaky assed dreams. I quit every morning when I get out of bed, then I slap a wedge in before I hit the facilities 5 feet out of bed. I am trying the commit lozenges(actually the equate brand at walmart is cheaper and the same shit) and they are working out pretty well, I have gone from a 1 can a day for the last 25 years to 3 dips a day.

2. Feb 24, 2010 at 7:26 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Oh god, That freaked me out.

3. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I smoked and tried to quit multiple times for 13 years. Dipped a little in there too. Decided to quit over memorial day weekend 2007. Been smoke free and dip free since then. Tried the gum, the patch and the pills what it came down to was the overall desire and willpower to quit (cold turkey). If I could not use any nicotine laced products for three days why not four. Four days turned into a week which turned into a month which turned into almost 3 years. Not even my son being diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic and spending 3 days in a childrens hospital with little to no sleep and my own blood helpless did a desire to start up again ever kick in. I have a very addictive personality and if I can do it so can you. That's my stance on it.

4. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    i quit 7 years ago,after about a year or two the urge finally goes away.

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    I fell down a flight of stairs with an eagle claw of Grizz Straight in and ended up swallowing the whole thing. Thats how I quit haha.

6. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    14 years and quit cold turkey 3 years ago. Still want one occasionally and still have a 3 year old unopened can. ;) It's all in your head. I don't deny myself, I choose not to dip. Much easier for my brain to deal that way. The first few months were tough especially when drinking. It gets easier but just remember it's all in your head. I'm no longer a slave to chemicals and life couldn't be better. Good luck and do what YOU want. Quit!

7. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    When I quit dipping, I was doing a can a day ontop of smoking damn near a pack of ciggarettes a day....

Fiance made me quit cold turkey.

It was hell. I chewed gum to try and get away from my cravings. it was worth it.

8. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:53 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco [OP] If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    Thanks ya'll...

9. Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    Timicha

Timicha Timicha

Member:
    First Name:
    TIM
    Tillamook / Portland , Oregon
    Vehicle:
    04 White Tacoma
    Fabtech 4 inch lift, tinted windows, diff drop, 33 inch MTZ tires on Raceline Raptor wheels, ELITE OFF-ROAD bumpers and sliders
    I dont understand why its so hard to quit i've smoked a few times and never had an urge to do it again, i've chewed plenty of times but never have an urge too. i think they're both gross and working at a hospital i see alot of different kinds of people come in and my mom works as a respiratory therapist so i here all her stories too. if your trying to quit then just quit all it takes is not doing it lol

10. Feb 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Addictive personalities... Some are more prone to it than others. It took me 13 years.

11. Feb 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    usnatclee

usnatclee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clark
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 corvette 12 Camaro 13 And Wrangler
    (SOLD)4 Bilstein 5100's, OME885s, 2" Toytec AAL rear, 3" total lift, 285/70/R17 BFG MTX on stock rims, AIRAID cold air intake w/ secondary filter removed, CB radio w/ firestik shorty antenna, custom bumper and sliders from those guys rod and customs, URD stage 3 competition clutch, Tom Woods one piece double cardan drive shaft, and URD short throw shifter.
    I used 2 packages of nicorette gum spread over a months time (yes I know I was using alot to start with) but I quit. Used alot to start then slowly used less and less until I didnt need it anymore. I was a smoker and a dipper. I hope that helps and good luck!

12. Feb 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    for me it isnt the dipping plenty of times in highschool that got me bad. First, it was house arrest where ALL I did was chew and play video games. And second, falling into routine chewing. Every time I got in the car I threw in a dip, after every meal I threw in a dip, after me and my gf...... well I chewed a lot, lets leave it at that

13. Feb 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

I took a guy into the hospital who had a tumor the size of a baseball in his jaw from dipping for 10 years. It started bleeding profusely cause it got so big it started to rip the skin of his face in half.

Ever seen alien? Image that, but in your face.

[​IMG]

14. Feb 25, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    jlvhrse

jlvhrse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jen
    SoCal SGV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport 4X4 Long Bed
    LSK front and rear LT and stuff
    Did you know that cancer cells are normal cells that have been mutated and no longer go through normal mitosis? Malignant cancer cells continue to grow (ie. skin cancer is visible on the skin) unlike normal cells that stop "reproducing". They can then enter the blood steam and move to any part of your body. The body does not "develop" cancer cells under natural conditions.

I am in my early 20's and have been smoking for over 8 years, does that mean I have the same odds as someone that just started? I wish! It all depends on genes and exposure.

Very true

x2 good post

Actually, Nicotine is addictive. The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit. Not just mentally but physically. I know you have hear of people going through "withdrawals" the same thing happens with nicotine. It affects the way your brain works and increases levels of dopamine (hence the physical and mental addiction). I bet you did not know that nicotine is just as physically addictive as heroin or cocaine.. The more you use, the more you need to get the same effect.

If you start smoking before you are 21 it is harder to quit. This is the time your brain is developing and fewer than 1 in 10 people who try to quit smoking succeed.

15. Feb 25, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I chewed Cope heavily for 20 years and quit cold-turkey 6 years ago.....I still think about it EVERY day and just reading this thread makes my mouth water. I've come very close to slipping on a few occassions but once the urge passes I'm proud of myself. I've saved THOUSANDS of dollars and am able to talk to my kids about not using tobacco with a clear concience. Great points made by all who talked about the important reasons and benefits from quitting.

I think that more than cessation aids and guilt, YOU have to be ready and in the right frame of mind.

Do it, I know you can.

16. Feb 26, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    huff.jeremy

huff.jeremy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2010 MagGray SR5 Access Cab, 4x4, 2.7L, 5spd
    OME 884's, OME shocks, Wheelers 1.5" AAL, Light Racing UCA, Jason Fiberglass top, URD Short Shifter, Fog Lights

Yes, if you give me your truck plus about $25,000. :D

17. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    can i ask? do you remember how fast you got addicted to dip? did it sneak up on you?

i am an engineer in a huge tunnel excavation. no smoking allowed, so EVERYONE dips, and snorts some ultrafine stuff. brutal. some young kids have succumbed to the peer pressure, and i think they are hooked.

18. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    derekAV

derekAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    Humboldt
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    itll deffintly sneak up on you!..one day youll just have to chew lol

19. Feb 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    I used to dip, and don't miss that nasty habit. That being said, I am not going to harp or nag, to me, I will save my breath. When you want to quit, you will. I actually joined a group on archerytalk.com and we all made a pact to quit. I bought a sample pack of smokey mountain snuff, it was about 7 bucks. I wasn't that hardcore of a dipper, but my gums have suffered because of my stupidity. Get some smokey mountain snuff and good luck. I am one of those people, that if I want to quit something like smoking or dipping, I want the nicotine out of my system. I have been clean for I think it is going on three years. Good luck. http://www.smokeysnuff.com/

20. Dec 11, 2010 at 7:37 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Reviving an older thread...

I started Chantix yesterday to quit dipping/chewing. I've been w/o cigs for 3 weeks today (actually pretty easy, even though I did it for 16+ years), but I was having trouble w/the Skoal (only 3 years or so w/the stuff).

No weird side effects so far...except for a little anxiousness (but I cut back on my Skoal intake by a 1/2 can since yesterday too...can't blame the Chantix yet). I've noticed that I'm hungry as hell though...I can tell that I'm going to pack on about 20 pounds w/o nicotine...meh, I'll start running again.

Products Discussed in

To Top