1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dippers that have quit, Have you...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by blackwatertaco, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I not a huge dipper (about 3/4 of a tin a day). I gave up a cigars (2 a day) about 6 months ago for dip. It took about 2 months for me to get hooked. When my last 2 cans are gone, I'm going to try to quit. I'm going to go cold turkey. Wish me luck.

2. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Here in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets, half of my training company dips (one dude was even dippin' in the shower this morning) and I got hooked...I chew alot of gum to get away from it. I also found out that the sweetener that they put in sugar free gum is also a decent laxative in large quantities.

3. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    i have dipped for almost 6 years now. first things first, don't start! it was kind of a thing to do to fit in, in a small rural town in the ass crack of GA, everybody dips. all your buddies dip, even your teachers dip, football coaches, dad, and everybody in between. before you know it, you are dipping. i have noticed that it is habitual. of course when you first start, you don't have a desire or craving to get your nicotine, you just do it. but before you know it, you have developed the habit of getting a dip, after breakfast, on your lunch break, on the ride home, after supper, watching tv, etc. even though in the beginning, you didn't desire or "need" that dip, you've now programmed your body to feel like it needs it. and that is exactly how i feel. i've tried to quit dipping a few times. i've tried cutting back, and that somewhat worked. i went from a little over a can a day to just 2 or 3 dips a day for a week or two. but every time i gradually got back to the point to where i started in the beginning. i found that cold turkey was even worse. i would get so anxious and restless when not getting that dip after supper. the sunflower seeds just made me angry. i would be very tense and short tempered. that's when i realized how addictive it is. i tried just earlier this week to quit and lasted a day. i kept burning up sweating at work, getting frustrated at everything, tense, etc. i really advise anyone considering it to not even try it, because the addiction will creep up on you. i went from stealing a dip or two of my dad's skoal to going through over a can a day in no time.

what makes it hard for me is that i can't truly convince myself that it is that bad for me. yes, i've seen the pictures of the guy with half a jaw and heard a few horror stories. but i know so many people that have dipped for years and never had a problem. my dad has dipped for almost 40 years and has never once complained about anything. not sore gums or teeth, never had any spots that were pointed out by the dentist, or anything. the worst thing that ever happened to him was when he tried to quit. he quit for a week and ended up in the hospital. yes. his blood pressure was out the roof and his body was just freaking out from the lack of nicotine. i don't want to ever be in that shape. i don't want to waste my money. and i don't want to have that influence on my future kids. i don't want him to want to dip to like me, just because he might be the one in a million that gets cancer and dies. i remember asking my dad when i was little "why do you even want to put that in your mouth?" i didn't say it because i thought it was nasty, i was used to it because he's always done it. i wanted to know why? why do you want that? now i sit here asking myself that. why do i even want it? i've got the desire in my head to quit, but two cans of copenhagen sitting on my nightstand mocking me. i've got to quit.

4. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    maybe try using Snus, i have a few friends to have dipped and started using a swedish brand called General brand Snus with good success. not to say that it is safe but its much safer and should be easier to wean off of

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    snus is still tobacco though. just like going from cigarettes to dip.

6. Dec 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    YeahBoyyy

YeahBoyyy I <3 Taco's

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010, Sport, 4 door, Mag Grey
    Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, Two 10" Rockford Fosgate p3 subs, Westin chrome bull bar, Westin chrome tube steps
    Nobody who smokes or dips is going to listen to someone who has never tried it that is saying "it's bad for you" or "it causes cancer" I'm pretty sure everyone knows that, so shut up.

7. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    snus is camels version of chewing tobacco in pouches that you can swallow without making you sick, me and my friends used it in HS due when they were small pouches that could easily be hidden in your gum. the "real" snus from sweden which we could only find in select tobacco stores in our area is nothing more that "premium" chewing tobacco. neither is no different from anyother chewing tobacco.

i have to agree with yeahboy on that one

8. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    is yeahboy and superwhite10's posts directed to me for my comment on snus?

9. Dec 12, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    superwhite10

superwhite10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    no superwhite10s comment is not meant to insult you or anyone for that matter. superwhite10s comment is to clarify what the product tacosupreme54 is referring to since superwhite10 has used both :) just trying to shed some light on snus, its not a substitute for chewing tobacco, it is chewing tobacco

10. Dec 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Gauntlet

Gauntlet Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oswego, N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    I started using Copenhagen back in 1980 when I was 17. My high school drafting teacher was doing it in class and I tried it and it went on from there. I did everything with it in my mouth. Over the years I went from a half a can a day to one and a half cans and back down to a half a can. On a couple of occasions, I burned the inside of my lip and gums to an almost white color. It was even worse when studying for exams with a dip in because I would be concentrating on the books and not on how long it was in my mouth. I tried to quit several times over the years, but kept going back to it. About 5 years ago I was determined to stop, but wound up putting chewing gum in my lip just for the fixation. I then came across "mint snuff" which is tobacco free. It quickly fixed the lip sensation and comes in several flavors. I quit the tobacco, but still dip the "mint snuff" on a regular basis and it is less than $3.00 a can. You can even order it direct if you do not have a retailer nearby. Just do a search for mint snuff or you can call them directly at (800)-EAT-MINT. I know what the others are going through trying to quit and I feel for them, this stuff really worked for me. Just keep trying.

11. Dec 12, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Dipped for 15 years. Quit using the "mint snuff" method.

Start by buying 6 cans of your favorite chew and 1 can of mint snuff - 100% mint leaves, no tobacco - http://www.mintsnuff.com. Can also be found in most grocery stores in the tobacco section. There are others tobacco-free varieties as well (one's made of red clover).

Dump all 7 cans total into a bowl, mix together, then spoon the mixture back into the 7 cans. That gives you a ration of real:mint of 6:1.

Once you finish those 7 cans, then mix 5 real : 1 mint. Then...

4 real : 1 mint
    3 real : 1 mint
    2 real : 1 mint
    1 real : 1 mint

(now go the other way)

1 real : 2 mint
    1 real : 3 mint
    1 real : 4 mint
    1 real : 5 mint
    1 real : 6 mint

Then just chew 100% mint, or (as I did) transition over to gum for the oral fixation.

Been tobacco free going on 3 years now.

One word of warning though - if you think about it too much, you won't get it done. Just make your mixes then chew as normal. Don't think about it being less nicotine. Because this is so gradual, your body easily adapts. That is unless you fuck it all up with thinking about it.

12. Dec 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    I would say find something else to do like sunflower seeds. My dad has Chantix, but wont use it, he has tried quiting many times and hes always an Asshole when he quits. but find something else to ocupie your time.

13. Dec 13, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    tacosupreme54

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    i have used both also. i was just saying that the snus isn't really any better for us. on a side note, the camel and marlboro snus are a joke. nothing like the real swedish snus.

14. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    Just went to the dentist today and my mom told him that i've been dipping. All he did was point out where i put it and said "you put your dip here huh?" and i was like yeah and he just told me to switch up spots where i put my dip and not always to put a pinch in the same spot.

15. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:15 PM
    ClemsonTacoma

ClemsonTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Lexington, SC
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Pioneer DEH-P5100UB single din HU and black dash kit, Alpine 12" sub custom inverted box bed liner'd, various interior trim painted black, 48 blue LED domelight, cheepo floor mats, hose clamp mod, Cobra CB and knock off firestik, Stock steelie rims, with 265/75/16 Sumitomo HTR Sport A/T's
    [​IMG]
    I just found these chillin in random spots in my truck when i cleaned it out back in November lol

16. Jan 5, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I remeber Generals. My buddy would order them for me online and I would just pay him back. I love the Swedish stuff more then anything American I've tried and so far that's Grizzly, Skoal, Camel, and Cope.

I started this crappy habit a while back when I was pissed off at a lot of things and nothing was going good, so I got some from my friend who always had some. I did it off and on for a while back then, never was really addicted to it. It'd take me almost a month just to go through one can. Then shit started going down hill again so I started doing it more and more (This is when the addiction sneaks up on you). I'm not quite going through a can a day but I don't have the time to. I can't do it while I'm working. A few months ago I quit cold turkey, had a girl throw away the couple cans that I had (nothing had gotten better though). I went on for maybe two months and shit started going down even more, so now I'm back.

I just found this thread and saw the link to the smokey mountain snuff. Maybe I'll give that a try. I don't know though, dipping calms me down. If I don't have it for a while I start bitching people out.

17. Jan 6, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    I need to quit soon, I am 40 now and have been dipping since ~ 7th grade. Kinda roulette now I guess. Talk about a bitch to quit.

18. Jan 8, 2011 at 1:21 AM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i quit, this is the 3rd and final time. I'm using the patch and its day 8.
    just gotta do it.

19. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    28Gauge

28Gauge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grapevine, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5
    Sockmonkey Graphics, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 265/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T's, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats, Dee Zee Bed Mat, Map Light/Dome Light LED's, Flo-Pro Muffler w/Stainless Steel Tip, Dome Light/Map Light Mod, Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil, LED Cupholder Mod, Grillcraft with TOYOTA emblem, Vision 375 Warrior Wheels, Extra Bed D Ring Mod, TRD Skidplate, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, Front 5100's set at zero with Eibach springs, Toytec 1.5" rear TSB add-a-leaf springs, Toytec swaybar relocate kit, Katzkin Leather Seating, Front Window Tint
    I'm going the cold turkey route right now. It's been about 10 hours without a dip. I'm about to go crazy!!!

20. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    Cold turkey is shitty, I would know. Just hold up man and don't look back like I did

Products Discussed in

To Top