1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dirtbikes.

Discussion in 'All Terrain Vehicles' started by Lentsnh, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Apr 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM
    ditners

ditners Member

Member:

All im saying is that it is easier to go fast on a 4-stroke than it is a two stroke, and by this you tend not to push yourself as much to improve. I'm not saying 4-strokes are bad, I love them, but a 2 stroke is a better bike to learn on.

Take a corner for instance. If you had a 4 stroke you would enter the corner, let off the gas, most of the time don't even need to shift down, then halfway through grab a fist full of throttle and just power through, not much skill needed.

Now on a two stroke, and especially a 125, it's alot harder to do it. Come in the corner, shift down, hold in clutch while keeping revs up, then halfway through let out the clutch in a manner as to get power to the ground fast enough but at the same time without spinning the rear wheel and losing all traction.

Take any rider who's got some good seat time on a two stroke and throw him on a four stroke and he will ride the wheels off of it. Take any rider who's only ridden on a four stroke and throw him on a two stroke, then grab a coffee because his lap times will be ridiculous.

4 Strokes are not in pro racing because of riders choice, riders can only ride what the manufacturer makes and ultimately what the AMA states is legal to ride in that class. If the AMA changed the rules to allow 450 cc two stroke bikes in the 450 class it would be a whole different story.

2. Apr 26, 2009 at 4:18 PM
    stevomac59

stevomac59 Is mod CraZy...

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    3'' lift, custom stereo deck, 33'' toyo Mt tires, 17'' MotoMetal Rims, 20%Tinted front Windows, 5% Rear Windows, Blacked out Grille Surround, Bull Bar, HID Head and Fog lights, KC Daylighters, BHLM, Strobe Lights, Sockmonkey TRD 3rd BreakLight decal, 12'' MTX Thunder Subwoofer, 1000Watt Planet Audio Amplifier, Flowmaster Muffler Xhaust S40
    For your height I would suggest a Kawasaki . It's a powerful bike, but it's made for the tall rider. Go with 4 stroke... you will thank me in the future. Im about 6'1'' and I have a Kawasakie450F, I LOVE IT!

3. Apr 26, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    stevomac59

stevomac59 Is mod CraZy...

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    3'' lift, custom stereo deck, 33'' toyo Mt tires, 17'' MotoMetal Rims, 20%Tinted front Windows, 5% Rear Windows, Blacked out Grille Surround, Bull Bar, HID Head and Fog lights, KC Daylighters, BHLM, Strobe Lights, Sockmonkey TRD 3rd BreakLight decal, 12'' MTX Thunder Subwoofer, 1000Watt Planet Audio Amplifier, Flowmaster Muffler Xhaust S40

Haha, when I first went on my 450 (it was my first time on a bike for about 2yrs) I nearly shit my pants too, But I really enjoy its POWER and SPEED....then again, ive had a dirtbike since I was 5, so I am used to it.

4. May 14, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    Garrett Timmerman

Garrett Timmerman Active Member

Member:
    North Augusta, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2000 ext. cab lift 33" BFG a/t
    *33" BFG all terrains *15" Mickey Thompson rims *straight dual exhaust *K&N air filter
    dont dont dont dont dont go with a 2stroke. all the 2smokers are mad because they just can't hang with the thumpers on the track, plain and simple.
    i ride a yz250f, never had any problems, plenty of power
    relatively easy to maintain, i'll always be on a yamaha

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    1sicktaco

1sicktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD DC
    honda or yamaha

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    I have been on a two stroke since I started riding and just recently my dad picked up a yz250f for my bro and I to try out. I just came back from the track and it was only my second time on it but I love it! the power delivery is very smooth and the torque will push you through everything. I agree with the argument that states learning on a two stroke will make you better on a four stroke. ALL of the big name pros have raced 65, 85, and 125 before there were any reputable four stroke 250s and 450s available. I'm glad that I started on a two stroke, because all of the basics and fundamentals of ACTUALLY riding will become second nature on a four stroke. I think that anyone that starts on a 4banger will miss out on the intricacy of shifting and controlling a two stroke. IMO you should get a yamaha or ktm 125. I'm partial to ktm, but I've had great experiences on both. Good luck :)

To Top