1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disable Power Lock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Warren Thompson, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jul 20, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    Warren Thompson

Warren Thompson [OP] GeoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma DC TRD Sport RadRed
    How do I disable the Power Lock on a '06 Tacoma? I am an exploration geologist in Nevada, and am in and out of the truck many times. The power lock will lock all doors when shifted into Drive, but will only unlock the drivers side door when shifted into Park:(. Can I set it to unlock all doors in Park? I would perfer to disable this altogether.

Is there a way to do this? Please help!!

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    I didn't even know this was available on tacomas. You must have an add on alarm system?

3. Jul 20, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Warren Thompson

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    No. It is fairly standard. Pg. 20 in the Owners Manual. Mine does have an alarm system, but the Power Locks are pretty standard. They may be useful in a city driven my a mom with kids, but for me in the Outback USA, it is more of a hinderance.

4. Jul 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    prae

prae Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 SR5 BSP DCLB
    Bilstein 5100s, eibach springs, AAL, TRD anthracite FJC rims, PIAA Fogs, Pace-Edwards hard rolling tonneau
    Hey Warren,

I realize power locks are standard on everything but base. It's this automatically locking all doors that I did not know came on any factory 2nd gen. Here's a thread with some discussion on the matter, it contains a writeup purported to enable/disable this feature.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/41738-auto-door-locks-09-taco.html

I strongly suspect it is related to your alarm system. If you could provide more details as to exactly what kind of alarm you have installed, that may be illuminating.

5. Jul 20, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    Warren Thompson

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Prae, I called the dealership and talked to a knowlegeble tech. This feature can only be disabled using the computer at the shop. Bummer. I bought it in Twin Falls ID, a 2.5 hour one way for me. I love rural America, but some things are frustrating!!!

I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

6. Jul 20, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Access Cab, TRD Sport
    Depending on how much it bugs you you could get an aftermarket alarm system that can overlay its own logic on the locks. And by simply picking the correct points to tap the wires they can be installed to act progressively or to fire both locks at once. Then by enabling "ignition controlled locks" on the alarm system you would get both lock (usually 3 seconds after start) and both unlock upon key off.

Some systems like some DEI products, even if installed for progressive locks, are smart enough to unlock both doors if the user did 2 pulses to unlock both doors when getting into the vehicle. In that instance the next auto unlock will open both, and not just the drivers side.

But in your case I'd probably just get it installed for both at once.

7. Jul 20, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    Warren Thompson

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Elko, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Raylo. The Taco came with an aftermarket alarm system (Karr 4040A). I learned I will have to go to a dealership to have the system modified. I will do that soon. Thanks for your help.

8. Jul 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    Raylo

Raylo Well-Known Member

Member:
    MD, USA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 Access Cab, TRD Sport
    You should be able to program the ignition controlled lock feature to "off" yourself. This just takes a specific sequence like key "on" then "off" then some number of presses of the alarm system's valet/program switch. Alls you would need is to find the Karr user manual. Of course then the locks would have to be operated via the door switch.

To Top