1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disappointed with Toyota

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by jimsmithrn, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM
    jimsmithrn

jimsmithrn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Disclaimer: This is PURE gripe. So stop reading now if you don't wanna read my bitching.

My '16 Tacoma is my first Toyota. I was happy to purchase a Toyota because of their perceived quality. I mean, just look around at all of the old Toyota's still on the road.

Mine has had everything that everyone has complained of on here: Hood vibration, wind howling at 30 mph, terrible gearing making it downshift on even the slightest uphill grade, and the leaking cab. Give it a week and I'm sure I'll find another. Almost everyone here chalks the problems up to the re-design of the truck.

Anyway, a month before I got my Tacoma, my wife bought a 2016 Hyundai Tucson. It is a complete re-design of the 2015. Her Tucson has had only one problem and we didn't even know it was a problem until the dealer told us they had to upgrade the ECT software.

Previously, I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata which was a total re-design from the previous model. Guess what? No problems at all. I have bought other newly redesigned vehicles from varying brands as well with no problems at all. So, chalking up all of these problems to the re-design is, in my honest opinion, a piss-poor excuse.

And here I am with my Tacoma and a tail load of problems. I was comfortable with buying a newly redesigned Toyota because IT'S A FREAKIN' TOYOTA. The company has been around for a really long time. They've released countless new vehicles. They should have had their ducks in a row before they released the new Tacoma.

That's it. Rant over.

DustStorm4x4 and ZachMX like this.
  2. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Sounds like you had good luck with Hyundai.

3. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:53 AM
    jimsmithrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, we have. In current times, they build a quality product. Not sure you can say that for their initial entry into the US market. I have also had good experiences with the initial quality of my Fords and Jeeps.

4. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:55 AM
    jimsmithrn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    I an fine with the fact that they are fixing the problems. My issue is that the problems even exist. They all seem like things that should have been identified before release.

5. Jan 18, 2016 at 7:55 AM
    rawdog

rawdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    The 2016 Tucson is a very nice vehicle... I drive them all the time at work. The only problem with Hyundai, and us, is that they don't make a truck and for us that want an import truck we are left with either the ridgeline, frontier, or tacoma. I'm sure we don't need to go down that avenue on which is best.. haha

although I hate to say it, I actually agree with you, shame on you Toyota, after 11 years of the old body style they were still not able to work out all the quirks in the new design?? Sorry to hear about your problems with your new truck... I hope mine doesn't develop the same issues!!

K Mac and jimsmithrn[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:01 AM
    TacoBella

TacoBella Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma (SOLD) leased RTL-E Ridgeline
    AVS Bug Deflector. TruXedo Lo Pro
    if we could accept a truck with 300 miles on them , we may have a trouble free truck, But Toyota has No way of determining what may need attention until thousands of them are "beta tested" by owners. Those owners with issues need to open a ticket with Toyota and it will get fixed from there. Toyota cannot guarantee a problem free truck. The test a few. Until thousands make it to the streets and trails, no one will know what will need attention.

I had an issue that would have caused me to sell the truck if it were not resolved "under the table" as Toyota still does not have an "official" solution to an issue they claimed was "a normal characteristic of the truck" That was the howling issue. You can fix that by taping a couple holes on the front of the lower control arm

7. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    GeneC

GeneC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR Access cab
    rangerraybies likes this.
  8. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:14 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    Tunngavik and CusterFan like this.
  9. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:27 AM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    2018 new Ford Ranger and Jeep Wrangler pick-ups roll out.

I'm glad I bought the tried and true 4 cylinder now. I had a V6 ordered but I do not like being lied to. Dealer 1st said 6 to 8 weeks for delivery then another dealer told me it takes him 3 months minimum to get a truck after you order. I canceled and found my black Betty on cars.com. Drove the same distance to dealership as the 1st one I had ordered from.

Sorry to hear about your truck. I had the same experience with a 2015 Colorado I bought new and traded in after 6 months.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Gettin Lost and TacoBella like this.
  10. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM
    Garyji

Garyji Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 BR SR5 DCSB V6 4WD. TRD Pro 17's, BFG KO2's
    Mine's been perfect from day one. Absolutely no issues.

G.

Jaycen and TOMRR like this.
  11. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:39 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed

12. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:40 AM
    UrbanT@co

UrbanT@co Taco FANatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSBOR 4x2
    * BAMF Grille *50% tint driver/passenger front window * NFAB steps * Bakflip F1 tonnaeu * Bed extender * Bed mat * Weathertech digital floor mats * Black reflective Tacoma tailgate decal
    Hyundai is a trusty brand after they stopped making their throw away crap cars. Parents have a 2006 Tucson with zero problems and a buddy has an 05 Sonata. I had the first gen Genesis Coupe in 2010 and that was decent minus a dash rattle at 30k...which has been my departing milage with cars for the last 6 years. When it's time to change the wiper blades the cars gotta go lol.

This one I see owning long term....but don't quote me. :D

13. Jan 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM
    Hammer16

Hammer16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand Tacoma DCLB TRD OR
    It sucks to hear that so many people are having these types of issues. I'm curious though, has anyone tried to figure out if this is isolated to early production runs, a specific trim level, etc? I'd be curious to know if certain issues only occurred before, say, Dec 1 or if they only occurred on DCSB TRD trims, etc. Thoughts?

14. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Because he didn't get an Elantra....weakest ass ever rr coils. Spent too much time on bump stops with 1 or 2 people in the car and cars don't come with a spare tire, not even a donut. They just throw in some chimpy air pump and some fix-a-flat nonsense. 2010 Genesis Coupe rode worse than my slammed lowrider Mazda and the turbo 4 cyl was not impressive in mpg or performance.

15. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM
    UrbanT@co

UrbanT@co Taco FANatic

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSBOR 4x2
    * BAMF Grille *50% tint driver/passenger front window * NFAB steps * Bakflip F1 tonnaeu * Bed extender * Bed mat * Weathertech digital floor mats * Black reflective Tacoma tailgate decal
    The 3.8 coupe on Stance coil overs rode like a dream. Never frame banged and had plenty of get up and go. Was a novelty car after I stopped riding street bikes....so served a purpose.

IPHONE011.jpg

I guess back on topic....peeps shouldnt be an early adopter if they don't want to be a test bunny. I was an early adopter for the Gen Coupe and Prius C....no issues and have no problem being one for the 3rd Gen Taco.

Danielnc06 likes this.
  16. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Onwards and Upwards!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 ACLB, ‘99 XCLB, ‘92 RC, ‘85 4R
    Those seem like minor issues to me. I grew up with 60's-70's built vehicles.

Tacoma is luxurious comparatively....think there are too many car guys, buying trucks. The Tacoma is a dream to what I grew up driving. Honestly if anything, the "car people" are ruining my beloved little Toyota truck. It went from a no nonsense basic little truck, to a blinged out comfort queen for soft handed Nancy's.

The wind howling and hood vibration complaint has me chuckling. Trans, the computer has to learn your driving style...though I think autos don't belong in trucks, imo. Autos have never been in the right gear for me, don't like how they shift buy a manual.

Leaks, wrong gasket or misalignment during install somewhere...nothing huge really. Easy fix.

We humans aren't perfect, don't expect our vehicles to be.

17. Jan 18, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    ditto. hope I get a cute little clappy gif too! :D

TRD On Road, OkieWil and BuffaloScout like this.
  18. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    2004TacomaNavy

2004TacomaNavy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Oak Harbor, WA.
    Vehicle:
    04 Extra Cab 4X4 SR5
    All Pro rock sliders, U-Bolt flip kit, Shock mount relocation tabs, All Pro Billy 3" lift front and back, 2014 Tundra Bed Rail tie down system, Fuel 17X8.5 Wheels on 32's, LED front light bar, Raptor style grill W/lights, Tinted Headlights w/LEDs, ARB Dual Air Compressor W/ 2 Gal. Tank, Smoked Tail Lights, Double Din Sat radio w/ back-up camera, Redline Hood Struts, ARB Dual air compressor W/ 20 Gal. air tank, Sig P320C Security System!
    This is why you should never by the first year of a new model (unless your willing to deal with the issues). There will always be problems identified and buying a year or two later gives the manufacture time to fix the issues.

JC914, 12TRDTacoma and dlakerguy like this.
  19. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM
    MaxxTRD

MaxxTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maxx
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    King Extended Travel Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Kings with Icon AAL, Cab mount Chop, 305/70/16 KO2s Moto metal wheels CBI Off Road Fab bumper and sliders Rad industries grill
    no problems what so ever on mine, just hit 2000 miles

bajatacoguy likes this.
  20. Jan 18, 2016 at 10:25 AM
    luchin

luchin living the Canadian dream

Member:
    Vancouver Island
    Vehicle:
    15 6MT DCSB SR5
    OME 885 coils, Dakar leaf pack, Bilstein 5100 struts, SCS Matte Jet Black SR8 wheels, 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country AT II, Arrow cap, Truxedo Truxsport Tonneau cover, TRD Exhaust, colour matched grill.
    This is why I purchased a 2015 Tacoma OP, I didn't want to deal with problems of a first year vehicle. My 2015 has been problem free with none of the wind noises people talk about or any of the other problems people seem to have with the 2nd Gen Taco.

Hyundai....I'm glad you have had better luck then I have. I took a BIG hit on my 2014 Santa Fe Sport AWD Limited just to get rid of the bloody thing. Melting spark plugs every 5K, running like shit when it did run and having to use 91 octane gas just to make it run like it wasn't a diesel, Hyundai claims 87 octane is all that was needed but every time I ran 87 octane the damn thing ran like shit. The third time I took it in for melted spark plugs the ceramic from one of the plugs was completely missing...yeah imagine the horror of the thought that the ceramic traveled through the entire engine. They did a bore scope, checked the turbo and cat and assured me everything was fine. Two months later it started running like shit again so I took it back and they flashed the ECU with new programming, almost two months to the day of the ECU flash it started acting up again, I was up the street from my Toyota dealership so I pulled in and traded in the Santa Fe for my Tacoma. The Santa Fe had the 2.0T engine. A friend of ours also has a 2014 like ours and has had their own problems. I suppose every rose has it's thorn.

Sorry you're having so many issues with your truck. Problems take away from the joy of ownership, especially if making payments.

dlakerguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top