1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disaster/survival kit

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Marc2017toyguy, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    motodude95

motodude95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB, OME 886s, 33s
    Everyone has enough guns and ammo for their own militia, but no one is stocking more than a few days worth of water or canned food. That's pretty much 90% of "preppers". In reality, a SHTF scenario you need to be on the move and going to a secure location wherever that may be. You can't carry your arsenal with you. You need a few days worth of food and water, and transportation with fuel supply. Not 30,000 rounds of ammo and a bunker in your yard like a lunatic.

Another thing preppers don't get is that most people in society are good people, and your chance of survival increases ten fold in a disaster situation when you're able to come together with your community and all help each other. Those "lone wolf" prepper types are the first guys who will get their asses killed because they are easy targets. No looters are going to want to fuck with a group of well armed good intentioned neighborhood of people looking out for one another.

.劉煒 likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:13 PM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    Well, most of the preppers I've seen on TV and UToob are pushing 400lbs. They will probably be able to last a while once they run out pf beenie-weenies.

.劉煒 and Trouble_The_Tacoma like this.
  3. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    And a lot of your average people don't realize that 99% of preppers don't fit the 'prepper' stereotype. Most of the people who are prepped for a long-term grid-down sort of scenario aren't nutjobs with a million rounds but no food, but they're also not going to get on TV because:
    1) They're not going around telling everybody that they're a prepper with a stockpile
    2) They aren't planning on shooting their neighbors and starting their own tinpot dictatorship
    3) They don't have the 'shock value' of putting somebody who's got a doomsday plan that involves shooting things other than food.

For instance, I have a few thousand rounds of various ammunition, but it's because I enjoy shooting as a hobby in addition to my 'prepping' hobby, not because I'm planning on shooting up the neighborhood if things go South. I have a larger variety of rounds suitable for hunting than I do for defensive use. And I've got a LOT more food/supplies than bullets, lol.

4. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    golfindia

golfindia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes.
    Vehicle:
    pickup truck
    I dunno. I used to work at gun shows. I've seen some shit.

5. Jan 14, 2019 at 1:26 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Meh. I'm not saying that there aren't some crazies running around praying for the end of the world. But I'd be willing to bet real money that there's a lot more people preparing for it in a much more practical, quiet fashion than the nutters who get on TV.

.劉煒 and Atlastrekker like this.
  6. Jan 14, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    wood714

wood714 Got any Quaaludes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Coast Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 V6 SR5
    Living in FL near the coast, I always have at least a months worth of food and water on hand at all times.

I also have a generator, a generator lock out switch on my breaker box...no extension cords all over the house. During hurricane season I always have 25 gallons of gas on hand also. I have hurricane panels too.

I honestly have never worried about being in a prepper SHTF situation.

As far as guns, my dad never was into sports. When all my friends dads were teaching them sports and going to games, my dad had me out fishing and hunting so my love of guns started when I was probably 6 years old.

7. Jan 15, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Atlastrekker

Atlastrekker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Sierra Foothills
    Vehicle:
    04 taco
    The generalization of preppers is pretty ridiculous. Everyone thinks that a prepper is a 400 pound white man with a dictatorship in mind. The reality is most preppers are country folks who garden, hunt, fish and enjoy being left alone.

Beaner Taco, QMEDJoe and .劉煒 like this.
  8. Jan 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    .劉煒

.劉煒 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno DCSBTRDORMT
    I don't know about you. I don't plan on having canned goods sitting around, but I do keep several months of rice on average. Kimchee and other pickles. A little bit of freeze dried camping stuff.

It's also called a pantry.

Yeah, sure, most neighbors are good, but in an emergency you might want to make sure that the ones who aren't avoid your spot for easier pickings. Best way to do that is to have a big group that cooperates well. Can't stand all night watch or rebuild by yourself.

Also fuel is nice, but not-using fuel is better. Electrical power tools and a little bit of solar helps that.

Atlastrekker and lucky13don like this.
  9. Mar 27, 2019 at 3:18 PM
    DansSr5

DansSr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Sr5 double cab silver 4x4
    P265/75/16 Destination AT stock wheels 12v socket bed pocket install diy Truck bed beer bottle opener No drill hidden/uv5r ham radio installed GoPro hero 5 session Center console organizer and top tray Front air dam delete Sidestep delete Add factory mudguards Recovery/equipment: Everything fits behind or under the seat Tool roll up bag Battery terminal cleaner Electrical grease for terminals Digital multimeter Alternator tester 4 gauge jumper cables Breaker bar with 19&21mm sockets Viair compressor Tire deflator Tire repair kit Tarp Hitch with d-ring Standard hitch 1 1/8 to 1 1/2 open ended hitch wrench Rope Ratcheting tie downs Tire gauge Cellphone charger wall/socket adaptors Gloves Recovery strap Crowbar Mighty might fishing pole Small tackle box First aid kit Michelin road atlas (4) 1 liter water bottles in rear doors 1 empty grey plastic ammo can (not sure what to put in it yet).
    beertimecontinuum likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2019 at 9:33 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
    Random thoughts:

Get a safe deposit box and put your documents or copies, depending on what it is, there as well as in your ‘go’ pouch. Deed, insurance, titles, passport, etc. Copy your computer occasionally and store a hard drive in the box too.
    Put a couple Rubbermaid totes in the pantry ready to scrape a whole shelf into and throw in the truck.
    Your hot water tank probably has a month of clean water in it.
    Get an inverter for your vehicle (it’s already a generator)
    Plan a secondary heat source for your house.
    Get a high quality water filter and a well stocked first aid kit.
    Get a no shit fire extinguisher.
    Keep a gallon of bleach all the time.
    Leave your camp stuff by the door.
    Think about what you can haul in your vehicle, but more about what you can carry on your back.
    Take a first aid class.
    Soap, shampoo, razors, toilet paper, toothpaste, dish soap, nail clippers, scissors, mirror, vitamins, aspirin, powdered Gatorade, Imodium, cough drops, etc... think about the last time you were sick, filthy, constipated, etc. and keep the things you need to stay clean and healthy.
    Always park your car with a full tank.

whatstcp likes this.
  11. Apr 7, 2019 at 9:50 PM
    windsor

windsor Just a guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Homeless in Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Super Duty aka Tundra
    Canopy, fitted seat covers, OBA with self leveling air bags, 100w solar, dual Rhino Rack Pioneer platforms, side & rear LED work/FU lights, CB, cell booster. 7x16 cargo conversion, 3" lift, 7'x6.5' fold down aluminum rear deck.
    Note: If you have a long beard, it can double as a large particle filter if pulled back up over your mouth/nose.

12. Apr 7, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
    I don’t get it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top