1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discount Tire Rant

Discussion in 'Discount Tire Direct' started by ZachPrerunner, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 3, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    ZachPrerunner

ZachPrerunner [OP] Live LOUD, REDNECK PROUD!

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Offroad Prerunner
    Discount Tire USED to be my go-to retailer for tires considering they had decent prices. When I purchased my Tacoma, I decided that I wanted to run a more aggressive tire than what came on it. After viewing some rigs with the OEM alloy wheels with some A/T's, I believed a new wheel would be more aesthetically pleasing. I initially liked the XD series until I came across the MB TKO's that Discount Tire sells. The following week I placed my order at a local DT for some BFGoodrich All Terrains and the MB TKO wheels. I also purchased the upgraded center caps that mount flush to the wheel. At the time of purchase, the employee believed it would be around a week and a half till everything arrived. Turns out the tires wouldn't arrive till two weeks after the purchase date. The next day I go into the store and was told that it would take around two hours to perform everything. I agree and called a friend to come pick me up so I don't have to take up space at the store. After four hours, the truck was completed. I arrive back at the store to find that the truck doesn't have any center caps on the wheels. I ask the manager and he says that the wheel caps haven't come in yet. So they lied to me about having everything in and I had to hassle them to put the stock MB covers that come with the wheels on the truck! After paying the full amount, I drove the truck home and checked the air pressure. The PSI ranged from 20 to 24! I angrily filled up my tires to the PROPER PSI and went on my way. Around a week later, they called to tell me that the center caps had arrived so I immediately went to pick them up. Guess what? THEY WERE THE WRONG ONES! I then demanded that the replacement caps be sent to me by mail considering that I don't have an open schedule all the time. The caps eventually arrived four days later. If you follow my recent threads, you found out that I installed Bilstein 5100's all around. The off-road shop notified me that the lug nuts were barely threaded on. To make matters worse, they were the wrong size!!! After this experience, I'm done spending money at Discount Tire. I paid $1600 for horrendous service that I had to argue for. Not to mention, it almost cost me my life. This goes to show you get what you pay for!

EDIT: Listed the wrong price for the service

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Mast3rSkywalk3r likes this.
  2. Aug 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM
    karmatp

karmatp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 4Runner
    You paid $2500 for rims and tires??? That is madness.

greeneggsnspam likes this.
  3. Aug 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I'll add fuel to the fire:

1) Brought in used tire to have mounted on a factory alloy bought from a member here. This was a spare so didnt want to spend $200 on a new tire for a matching full size spare. They gave it back to me without checking for leaks. When I brought it back, they found a pin hole on the edge of the tread and wouldnt patch. Manager comes out and gets loud. Acts like a jerk. I took it home, put stans no tubes in it from my mountain bike tires and no leaks after 2 years.

2) We went to a different store and bought some really nice tires for my wife's Lexus only to have them scratch the rims, not honor the $100 rebate advertised, and switch out her chrome valve stem caps for gray plastic ones.

I go outta my way now to avoid Discount. Discount might be the biggest but there are still many options around here.

Mast3rSkywalk3r likes this.
  4. Aug 3, 2015 at 1:56 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    I say $2000 is what I spent for all the parts from DT. The $500 includes gas (had to drive there around five times) and the new lug nuts.

5. Aug 3, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    the last sentence is so true,anything good cost$$$

ZachPrerunner likes this.
  6. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    In my experience with their franchise, I will never spend money there again. I was treated like garbage and the techs know nothing/don't care about the consumer. If they can't even fill up the tires to the proper specifications, how do I know they aren't cutting corners elsewhere? My local off-road shop was telling me that they hire teenagers that have very little experience to work in the shop. That's supposedly how they offer such "cheap" rates.

7. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    boogie3478

boogie3478 Tacomaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Centreville, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Off-Road V6
    Redline Tuning hood struts, Hella Supertones, AllPro High Clearance rear bumper, 16" Wheelers Steelies, LED lighting upgrades (VLEDS), Bed Extender, Weather Tech floor mats, AllPro IFS and Trans skid, BAMF LCA skids, Rigid Dually Ditch Lights w/CBI brackets, Flowmaster 50 series muffler (dumped at axle), Diff breather mod, bed mat, Relentless Fabrication bed bars, ET Bilstein 5100s, OME 887 coils, Dakar pack, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/Rs
    Lol, $500 on gas? I thought you said it was a local store.

doyouevenprerun likes this.
  8. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Report Undocumented Feelings

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R 4xRawr
    I don't lend any salt to what competitors say, especially when it is nonsensical like "they have teenage techs so they keep labor rates low."

All franchises are run differently, like dealerships. A 5 minute drive from one Toyota dealer/tire dealer to the next and it can be a different world altogether.

It doesn't really matter how old your employees are. Training is training, and a teenager can have more of it and more effective learning of it than a geezer. In the end, it doesn't matter who works on it. Either they do a great job, they fuck it up and tell you to pound sand, or they fuck it up, fix it, and go out of their way to please the customer.

Picking a new shop is easier than fighting with the same one. A call to Discount Tire's mothership might make you feel better and yield a little "reconsideration" from the location you went to, but other than that, bad business practice has little to do with age of employees.

MQQSE, MadDaddy, chunkymyster and 3 others like this.
  9. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    Haha my bad, I was thinking of my suspension upgrades. The final bill was around $1600. The store is around 30 miles one way. That means I put around 600 miles within the course of a month going to Discount Tire.

10. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:10 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Las Vegas NV
    Vehicle:
    05&04 Tacoma SR5
    Home Built Front Bumper HID Headlights LED Cab lights 2013 Radio swap MOLLE DC Insert Traffic Cam F&R 6'' Procomp lift Custom Grillie
    I never really had a problem with DT, other than they have cross thread a stud or 2 on my tacoma because of the short thread. They fixed one cause they caused it their. I had to fix the other myself cause i found it later. But yeah ive run into a few shops that hire the dumbest fuckin kids in the world. But I ALWAYS stick around for the work to be done and watch like a hawk.

ZachPrerunner likes this.
  11. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    UssMoGn

UssMoGn That Vegas dude

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Las Vegas NV
    Vehicle:
    05&04 Tacoma SR5
    Home Built Front Bumper HID Headlights LED Cab lights 2013 Radio swap MOLLE DC Insert Traffic Cam F&R 6'' Procomp lift Custom Grillie
    But the amount of good services for replacment tires casue I tore them the peices and help out on pluggin non purchesed DT tires for free out weights the bad.

12. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah I'm not saying that teenage employees are a bad thing to have. But when they install the WRONG lug nuts that are barely even threaded on, I have a huge problem with that. Luckily I had the tires rotated before my vacation at another shop, otherwise I wouldn't be here sharing this. It is a shame though that now I have to thoroughly go over everything a shop does to be sure it is safe.

13. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    I have had issues with 2 different shops in San Diego here, the shop I use now I have bitched and complained to the manager and he saw each of my points as valid, that shop has destroyed 4 of my extended lugs and refunded me the cost so I could buy new ones.. I think the monkey using the air gun was let go..

14. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    bilsteins, 2010 Tacoma 17" alloys w/265's, driveshaft mods, 1.25" hubcentric spacers.
    Depends on which Discount Tire you go to...I live about 2 hours from the one I use, located in Mooresville, NC (live in Floyd, Va.)...they know their stuff, the place is run like a Nascar pit stop, and they use the Haweka attachment for balancing Toyota alloys....Grreenville, NC is closer, but they suck and don't use the Haweka to balance....

You probably had no choice, but each Discount/America's Tire is run differently....when I was in California, the one closest to me sucked, but about an hours drive away was one that did it right....

Sorry to hear your plight...

15. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:34 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Official Bro

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    they scratched my XD hoss wheels awhile back. i complained and got new ones :D

delvin likes this.
  16. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:38 PM
    WheelInTheSky

WheelInTheSky Ramblin' Man

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed
    Very sorry to hear bad experiences. Seems that it's a matter of which store you go to as different franchise operators can have a very different quality of work.

My experiences with the Discount Tire on Sawmill Road in Dublin, OH have been stellar! Got a great price on my tires, staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and I can ask them for help/advice on anything. So far they have been flawless in terms of service for myself and for my family.

Sounds like OP and a few others here were unfortunate and need to find a shop with the right people running it.

17. Aug 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    I complained to the manager of that location and he offered to pay for the lugs which I ended up taking. The service I received once I had complaints was excellent, but I would rather not have to deal with them after every transaction.

18. Aug 3, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    Justinlhc

Justinlhc Not looking for a relationship

Member:
    First Name:
    Optional
    Vehicle:
    Brabus
    I has truck it has things and stuff derrrrrr
    I have been anti-DT for several years. They charged me $9 per tire to "rebuild" my TPMS because "we have to remove them to get the tire off". :jerkoff: I hope it was worth it to lose a customer for life.

19. Aug 3, 2015 at 4:44 PM
    randomguy

randomguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dalles, OR
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB TRD Sport 6 speed 4x4 BRM
    Pretty much all tire places suck in my experience.

delvin likes this.
  20. Aug 3, 2015 at 4:53 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Gretna Nebraska
    I bought my tires and rims in Georgia and had an absolutely awful time with them. Came to nebraska and again had a horrible experience. (Multiple problems almost every time) I refuse to go there anymore it's not worth it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top