1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discount Tire Rant

Discussion in 'Discount Tire Direct' started by ZachPrerunner, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:39 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    OR, he just lies

Taco me elmo likes this.
  2. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    ZachPrerunner

ZachPrerunner [OP] Live LOUD, REDNECK PROUD!

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Offroad Prerunner
    I'm not bitching about anything. I'm simply stating my experience with my "local" Discount Tire. Let me make this clear, I don't want anything from DT. I'm sharing the experience that I had with them. The off-road shop didn't screw with anything because I watched them the entire time. I didn't make you comment on my thread. If you don't like what you see, then don't view it.

3. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Winner Winner chicken dinner.

4. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM
    sean266

sean266 #ThinBlueLine Moderator

Member:
    Some of u

image.jpg

ZachPrerunner likes this.
  5. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
  6. Aug 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM
    WheelInTheSky

WheelInTheSky Ramblin' Man

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed
    His LIFE WAS ON THE LINE!

I think earlier he brought up his family's lives as well.. This thread is hilarious. I feel for anyone being pissed about their time being wasted but when you spend more time bitching about it than was wasted in the first place.. it's time to stop. You paid your money, you have all of the things you paid for. Sorry you wasted time and gas. Trying to take everything that was said at face value despite all of the odd miscalculations and story modifications. I think it's time to stop this rant now, a bad experience at one specific DT shop is like a bad alignment experience at a firestone.. it doesn't mean that there aren't other franchises out there that know exactly what they're doing and take great care of their customers to boot.

Can this be done now please?:locked:IBTL!!:locked:

7. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    bilsteins, 2010 Tacoma 17" alloys w/265's, driveshaft mods, 1.25" hubcentric spacers.
    You should have contacted Corporate...many, many years ago (about 20 years ago) an America's tire (same company as Discount Tire) in Concord, California screwed up a rim swap on a bent rim, replaced the WRONG one and refused to exchange a real bad set of tires (they had hard spots, no matter how they were balanced, vibrated)...I came unglued and flat out told them they were wrong and I was going to contact Corporate, the store manager laughed and said good luck with that...he was a Richard for sure....

I contacted Corporate, not only did I get a refund on the bad tires, they included the cost of another rim to replace the one the shop didn't replace right the first time, when I walked in with the check, the store manager's jaw dropped, and soon he was not there anymore...I was never going to use them again, but because Corporate came through I stayed with them and have used them ever since...part of the reason I stay with them is they have outlets all over the USA, and I travel a lot, nice to know if you have a problem you can usually find a shop and get stuff done for free...

Moral of the story, you need to contact Corporate and go from there....as far as I am concerned, they stepped up and kept me as a customer...I have had a couple of sets of tires that didn't make the warrantied miles, never a problem with prorating towards a new set...several flats, repaired with no costs, in and out within an hour, even showing up with no appointment..

You had a bad experience, but it is up to you to go bitch to the right people, you might just be surprised at the response you get...just sayin'..

8. Aug 4, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    I'll see what corporate has to say when I get the chance to make a call. Seems that the higher officials are willing to help their customers.

9. Aug 4, 2015 at 2:05 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    bilsteins, 2010 Tacoma 17" alloys w/265's, driveshaft mods, 1.25" hubcentric spacers.
    You can call, but best is to write a letter, with very detailed and accurate information, not estimates or guesses. Make sure your math is right and be firm, but polite. I think the best you are going to get is a discount or coupon on a future purchase.

No one was hurt, yes they put the wrong lugs on, and the supplier of the items you ordered screwed up. Discount in your mind was the one that should take the heat and rightfully so, they have to assume responsibility for incorrect INSTALLED parts. Just tread lightly and get your facts straight. As pointed out by many here, you got a bad store run and populated with poorly trained employees..

Your letter will help Corporate improve the standards at this sub performing store.

Good Luck...

10. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    Discount Tire Direct

Discount Tire Direct Wheel and Tire Guys Vendor

Member:
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us here, ZachPrerunner. It seems we dropped the ball a few times with regard to communication, we apologize for this. We want to help; PM coming your way.

For reference, seven(7) full turns from the lug nuts is the minimum requirement needed for proper thread engagement. I double checked the mounting pad thickness on the 17x8.5 ET-6 MB TKO and the 12x1.5 SD 1.4" lug hardware that was invoiced meet the requirement for this application.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    tcBob, sean266 and T4RFTMFW like this.
  11. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    So, the plot thickens. Apparently the other shop gave the OP some wrong information on the lug nuts...this thread is deflating like a punctured tire...

lol

12. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    For extra irony, while I was catching up on this thread, I got an email from DT with a survey request about my latest service visit.

Since I'd already set such a high bar with the hookers and blow comment, Imma gonna have to work on this a bit, if I'm going to have a shot at besting that one...

13. Aug 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM
    ZachPrerunner

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    Hmm. Maybe the quoted lug nuts on the invoice weren't the ones the DT installed. The reason I say this is because I couldn't get the lugs to turn past four full turns.

14. Aug 6, 2015 at 3:42 PM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    well, as good as your are with numbers, maybe you tightened 4 turns twice?

15. Aug 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    Discount Tire Direct

Discount Tire Direct Wheel and Tire Guys Vendor

Member:
    The factory studs are 12x1.5 and are 22mm long. As long as 12x1.5 lugs were used, you should have gotten more than four full turns because the mounting pad on the wheel is 10mm thick. At any rate, we're glad the new lugs are working out for you. Just responded back to your PM by the way. Let us know if we can be of further assistance.

16. Aug 6, 2015 at 3:48 PM
    Taco me elmo

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    At this point i dont believe a word out of ZachPrerunner anyways.o_O

From his blatant exaggeration on everything
    Not dealing with Discount Tire with his issues that could have easily been fixed if they even exist.
    to waiting nearly half a year to blast said company on a public forum with absolutely no proof.
    then backtracking to edit and hide his previous idiotic comments to having an offroad shop deal with him..

17. Aug 6, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    The down side to having editable content

As much as non-editing pisses me off at places like Fark, there's something to be said for not being able to hide one's dumbassedness.

18. Aug 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD
    So it boils down to 7 pages of nothing...except for the wrong center caps....and a possible but unlikely lug nut problem....

I am just flabbergasted and mildly amused....

19. Aug 6, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Lunar mist 04 Tacoma DCSB TRD 3.4 V6
    Icon 2.5 Ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's, rear Icon smooth body 2.0's and a 1.5" AAL. Custom color matched retrofit HID projectors w/ RGB halos. Deck plate mod. Flow master 40 series. 3D optic 42",4D optic 22" light bar & 4D optic Pods. 16x8 Method double standards w/ machined lip, wrapped w/ BFG KO2's. Steel grill insert by DB Customz. TG Front & Rear bumpers and sliders. Tundra Brake Upgrade. Complete Interior LED Swap.
    I bought BFG KO's from them and every time I have them balanced & rotated they don't put the lug nuts on by hand and then tighten them with an impact. So three different times they have had to break my OEM tire stud to get the lug nut off. 3 different times! Then they had to have me go to a separate shop to get the stud replaced! What a waste of time! But the manager said he would discount me $50 on my next set of tires I bought there. HAHAHA!!!! Now I rotate them myself and actually pay a different tire place to balance them when needed. Never going back there again. That is why they can give good prices on tires and rims cause they don't do anything else. After my BFG's wear out I am going somewhere else. I would rather pay a little bit more for better service and I agree their techs don't know shit!

20. Aug 6, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Last thing they should do is impact the lug nuts on. sounds made up, too