1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

discouraged by lack of build quality

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2011Streaker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hello all,

I have a 2011 DCSB SR5 V6 A/T 4x4. I bought it last August after admiring teh pure sex of the tacos for a long time. Over the last 8 months, I have had more issues than with any other car i've ever owned. Blower motor, vibrations while braking, squeaky leaf springs, low volume through the aux port (i realize this isnt necessarily a problem, just annoying). On the horizon I see having to replace the headlights when the DRls eventually melt, and maybe the leaf TSB. This truck has 8200 miles on it and I've already had these issues.

Is this normal? I really want to love my truck but I got out of a Jeep and into a Toyota because I wanted something bulletproof and I'm just discouraged by the little things.

I brought it into the dealer for the blower motor and they fixed it. I brought it in for the vibes and they replaced the rear drums (no difference). I gotta bring it back in and see if they can fix the vibes and the squeaky leafs but after all the threads I've read I am not hopeful at all.

Again, is this normal? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Pretty much everything you have listed has been an issue with most people on here. It sucks I know but these issues are pretty common.

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Any vehicle is going to have common quirks. Personally I've had nearly 40,000 trouble free miles(knock on wood). Only issue was needing the transmission TSB done. Poor volume through the aux was an issue, but the factory radio is garbage to begin with(I've replaced mine with aftermarket).

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    NoDrAmA357HK

NoDrAmA357HK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 Timberland Mica DBL CAB 4x4 TRD Sport
    3" Pro Comp w/ AAL, 17x9 -6 Offset 4.75 Backspace Pro Comp 7033, LT285/70/17, Xtreme M/T Pro Comp - 67285
    7500 Miles on mine and only issue was the Blower Fan.....

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    2011Streaker

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    I see what you're saying. And if this was year one or two of a new bodystyle I'd have some understanding. But it's like the built it in 2005 and forgot about it. Few issues were addressed over the years. You'd think the vibes (most annoying issue, by far...) would have been addressed years ago. It can't be that difficult for an automotive engineer to figure out what is vibrating and how to fix it.

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    bubbagumps

bubbagumps Well-Known Member

Member:
    On my second tacoma. Never had the slightest of issues with the first one and took it to 200,000 miles with just oil changes and scheduled maintenance.

Toyota does have a decent track record and the tacoma has a solid reputation. However, do not confuse this with the statement that you will never purchase a toyota or a tacoma that is not issue-free. The law of averages state that any mechanical device is prone to mishap and defect. Toyota is no exception. It's just that absed on the numbers available to the public, the rate of defect is smaller on many Toyota models. It doesnt mean you can't get a truck with issues. It just means you are less likely to do so.

I don't really know what to say about your situation. Maybe you are just one of those who drew a short straw in the statistical pool. Who knows.

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sell it, buy a Ford or Chevy.. they are issue free.:rolleyes:

8. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    tuckdaddy

tuckdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tucker
    Lake McQueeney, Texas
    90,000 problem free miles replaced the blower motor 4-5 times though... on toyota's dime.

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I had the blower motor replaced. No problem with the leafs. Why don't you use the leaf squeak to get the TSB 4-pack leafs? As for the DRLs .. that's one feature I'm really glad I didn't get because of the melting issue. However I though Toyota fixed that problem on later models (???). As for the AUX port ... it's not boosted at all. Just line in. My old MP3 player was really quiet through it. But my gen6 iPod Nano is much louder.

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i dont have a loud blower motor. and siting i can hardly hear my engine running. i have started it and waiter a few min because i was sending a few text before i drove(illegal and unsafe to text and drive and i will not do it) and i turned my key to start and it was already running. have done this prob 5 times or more. :eek: AUX port say like for ipod or something not being as laud as radio of CD’S. has been an issue in every car/truck i have used one in. ’05 scion xb, friends ’11 FJ, his dads ’11 f-150, brothers ’09 silverado. it’s not a taco or toyota thing.

11. Apr 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    2011Streaker

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    No need to hate. I am just trying to figure out if I am an anomaly. I hate GM (bailout, horribly ugly cars, cheap) and Ford scares me too much, especially the sticker price.

I am not flaming the taco or toyo, just looking for feedback from fellow taco lovers.

12. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry I must have missed the part where you weren't flaming your Taco.
    Welcome to TW!

13. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    TastyHuman

TastyHuman Oh. Bummer.

Member:
    Tacomas have crappy build quality. They are, however, slightly better than the other crap out there.

14. Apr 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    11Speedway

11Speedway Well-Known Member

Member:
    Held Hostage in Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    Stock 11 TRD OffRoad Access Cab
    Build quality isn't what it used to be.

15. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:04 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Blower motor and vibrations while braking are really the only thing I see as an issue. The others are known issues with known fixes. The braking vibration should be easy enough to fix and both of these should be under full warranty.

I've owned several new vehicles. The only one I had literally zero issues with believe it or not was my wifes 2006 Kia Sportage, the first year of the redesign. That thing is amazing. 92,000 miles missed a service i think either the 30k or 60k and we've done all the oil changes on time. Only expenses in has been one set of tires, oil changes, two services. It's the V6 AWD version and we've taken it everywhere. I know it's a Kia, but I brag about it whenever possible as it's just been fantastic.

Every other new vehicle has had some sort of minor issues. Dodge truck X2, Ford focus, Saturn car etc.

16. Apr 22, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

You're pretty much only noticing these things because the internet told you to. Otherwise it would've never entered your mind.

Go take a ride in most any other vehicle and really really pay attention for little problems like these. You'll find every other vehicle on the road has a similar laundry list.

Tacomas are well built trucks, especially where it matters (engine, transmission, transfer, frame). They won't leave you walking unless you abuse the shit out of them, and you have a ton of aftermarket options to improve the things you want improved.

This isn't a build quality problem, it's a cars-are-complex-machines-with-thousands-of-parts problem.

17. Apr 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    ranchonodinero

ranchonodinero Active Member

Member:
    DFW Metroplex
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD sport
    Hmm, let's see my recently disposed of GMC 2500HD duramax/allison (government motors crap) had the following: rear diff (twice), defective tires (noticed when had a blowout at speed-caused body damage too), defective tailgate stays (broke and taco'd the tailgate), speedometer, power steering pump, oh yes, defective diesel injectors that would have cost 4500 or so to replace if I had kept it. There were probably more.

18. Apr 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    Same. They're not great trucks, they're just better than the other crap in their class. The foundation for Toyota quality from the late 70's and early 80's is long worn out, as is the original simplicity.

The vibration problems is a huge issue, you're not alone. Contact Toyota to have it fixed don't let them make it your problem.

19. Apr 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Slodgetto

Slodgetto Über Posre

Member:
    First Name:
    Silas
    1st Gen FTW! :D

20. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Frame Rust.
    Ball joints.
    P0420.

1st gens have their own issues. And they *started* the wimpy leafspring trend that Toyota for some reason decided to carry into the second gen.

Rose colored glasses...again, no vehicle is perfect. Tacomas are best in class, but not perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top