1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discovery Channel's "Moonshiners"

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by saundern, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    meatman

meatman I deal with dead animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Murphy N.C.
    Vehicle:
    (built) 04 Tacoma SR5 4x4 and 01 TRD 4x4 DD
    Yes bad shine will make you go blind that is why you do the flame test. if the flame is yellow them stay away.. But this is caused from using old raidators from trucks in the distilling process. It would leach out the lead from the soldering and that is what would cause the blindness and the yellow flame (lead poisioning). BTW my wife made some in chemestry class when she was in collage.

2. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    you want a BLUE flame!

3. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM
    Madams

Madams Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    They call it barney
    My ken folks were moonshiners years ago.

If we didnt have them they wouldnt be no NASCAR. Its boring now, I liked watching it when Dale Sr. was racing.

Next month, when deer season goes out (so I wouldnt make it act like im baiting deer). Im going to buy some corn (not using sugar or yeast, just letting it sour that way) for me and the wild hogs i got on my club. Im going to make us both some and we both are going to be drunk.

4. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    What do you think ferments the corn? It's all fructose whether or not it comes from corn or from apples. And they are still both considered "moonshine" and both can be high proof. The difference in the two is after aging. Distilled and aged corn is called whiskey. Distilled and aged fruit is brandy.

5. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    im not really sure what your argument is, but sugar based moonshine is moonshine like a tofu burger is just as good as beef burger. real moonshine is made of first fermented, then distilled corn meal (there can be sugar added, usually malt, and always yeast) end of story. i know how to make moonshine, people that hypothetically (for TW law breaking reasons) make moonshine, and what makes good and bad moonshine. not trying to get in a dick measuring competition, but it's the facts.

6. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    fake as hell, just like all the other "reality" shows. it breaks my heart that the only remaining good tv channels are going to this shit.

7. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    why do you say it fake? just wondering. i have not seen it yet.

8. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    WhiskeyDeltaTango

WhiskeyDeltaTango Resident Redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Braselton, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Dirty Black Taco
    ARB Bull Bar, ProComp 9" lights, Dual Hella aux backup lights, WARN VR10000, OME 886x, Dakar Leafs, UWS Low Profile Toolbox, Kicker CVT10, Kicker 750.1
    :thumbsup:

9. Dec 7, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
  10. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    Madams

Madams Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    They call it barney
    the corn swells as its seats the sugar and yeast just hurries up the process and makes it ferment faster. Then you have to boil it for a long time. then it steams and you have to capture that steam. That steam is your moonshine.

11. Dec 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    So I've heard.. :spy:

12. Dec 7, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

Corn does not "eat" ( I presume) the sugar. Corn contains starch that needs to be converted to sugars. This is done by taking the corn and heating it to 170 degrees, adding an enzyme (unless naturally occurring in the corn being used) and agitating for 15 or so minutes. The temp and the enzymes work to convert the starches to dextrin. After about 15 minutes of vigorous agitation the mash is heated to a boiling for 30 minutes. Bring the mash down to 170 degrees and hold for another 30 minutes (more enzyme) and stir (agitate) constantly. Rapidly bring mash down to 90 degrees after the 30 minutes, pitch the yeast (proper yeast not bread yeast/beer yeast/wine yeast) take gravity reading with a saccharometer and seal the vessel (fermentor). Let the mash ferment at 85-90 degrees for 2-3 days.

To get the alcohol from the wort you will need a still and a cooling coil or "condenser". Heat the mash to 170 degrees (the point alcohol boils) inside the still. As the "steam" rises it will condense and cool in the condenser and drip out of the opening. That, is your "moonshine"

This is all informational and what you chose to do with it is your responsibility. Distillation of alcohol for beverage consumption is against Federal Law without the proper taxes paid and licenses obtained.

13. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    okay so I was wondering, how do they get away with making this show? like they practically give the location of the still and they know who he is since they showed that he was the chief of the fire department. like is their a law that protects them or what?

14. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    double post.

15. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    Freaking reality shows, this guy is getting ready to lite up the still and he has to go volunteer at the local station, WTF?

16. Dec 7, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Corn won't grow at all on Rocky Top, dirt's too rocky by far
    That's why all the folks on Rocky Top get their corn in a jar :)

17. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    cakmakli

cakmakli Finally made it - U.S. Army Retired

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    True that. If it burns blue it is true. If it burns red you're dead. And as someone else already stated it is best to know where it came from. I won't drink it if I don't know who made it. I drink quite a bit of it but I know who makes it and I know it is good stuff.

As to the show it is bullshit. I'm from that area (Galax) and no one acts like those retards. He's looking for a place to place his still and he just pulls off the side of the road on posted land and within spitting distance from the road he proceeds to check if that was a good area.

And then you have the old man on a four wheeler with his old lady on the back with a shotgun and a stupid inbred look on her face. Who the hell runs around with a single shot shotgun? Most people I know just sticks a pistol in their pocket. And the way they talked was obviously scripted. It was just plain stupid.

This show just builds on the dumbass hillbilly stereotype that people have of folks in that area. F this show and F Discovery Channel

18. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    we have some of the store bought moonshine at the country club i work at. i think my boss said it was about $40 bucks for a half gallon. of course the members at the club would never drink it (they prefer bloody marys and martinis) so he let me try a little bit of it. it was pretty good but i am sure it is not as strong as the real stuff (or so i have heard :cool:)

19. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    nice. :thumbsup:

20. Dec 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    Ccwahoo

Ccwahoo "Get comfortable being uncomfortable" Goggins

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    This show is funny, Jesse the abc agent is the joke. It cost taxpayers a lot more money paying these clowns then the lost tax dollars on moonshine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top