1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discrete way of weighing down bed?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by FLtaco, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Nov 22, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    I tried searching but no luck. Has anyone seen or tried a more discrete way of weighing down bed. Maybe sandbags in behind the bumper. Looking for a way to drop the rear a little with weight because it's slightly higher than front. But don't want sand bags just laying in bed. Any info is appreciated.

2. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Yes but no. I've already got tc spindles and 5100s at 2.5 up front and a add a leaf and 3" block in rear. Eventually plan on allpro leaf pack but in till then looking for cheap way to drop it a half inch or so.

3. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:00 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Just tired of the un level rear high look it has.

4. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    That can't be good for even wear on tires though right?

5. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Plate steel under the rubber bed mat. My dad does this every winter, he uses long pieces of flat stock that are cut to fit the truck's bed front to back. Just slide them under the rubber bed mat and done. Another option would be flat tractor weights. They can be found in 1" plate steel so a nice low profile. You'd need a rubber bed mat so they don't slide or would need to secure them other way. You'd have to put them against the front of the truck bed.

Best option, rear plate bumper.

FishingInSand likes this.
  6. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    No, it's not and also not good for MPG's. I run about 3 - 4 lbs less in the rear tires since the back is so light anyways. If you're adding weight though, you'll want to keep the pressures even.

7. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    take the block out and leave the aal in

8. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Don't think that's doable. My fronts maxed out right now. Understandable how both could be bad but some trucks use sandbags alot during winter and some beds are loaded down year round. So suspension wear isn't a top worry of mine. Deflating tires would definitely cause uneven wear though. I've currently got 3 cinder blocks back there and am going to purchase tube sand at lowes just curious if anyone has found better place to put it other than in the bed.

9. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Plan on getting leaf pack. I know there's a million ways I could fix this by adjusting suspension. But I only want to do it once. So I plan on doing when I buy leaf pack. Intill then I'm looking for inexpensive ways and seeing of someone has discrete way of hiding sand bags. Thanks though everyone.

10. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    <rant>
    Sorry man, you're asking a question that represents an opinion shared by a lot of guys. Nothing personal, but I just need to get a good rant off my chest.

I do NOT get this fascination folks have with "level."

A truck with an empty bed is functionally sprung and ready to work.

It's ready to carry its load rating - for a Tacoma, say roughly half-a-ton-give-or-take.

You want your truck looking like it's carrying something, without looking like its carrying something. :confused: :rolleyes:

I even hear guys call the unloaded look the "stink bug" look. Well, to me, the "ass down" look reminds me of nothing so much as a dog wiping its butt on the grass. :mad: Or the "overloaded" look of the gardener hauling 2000lbs of sand in a truck designed to haul 1000lbs. At least he's using his truck for the job for which it was intended.

End rant. Nothing personal. You just asked the wrong question at the wrong time. I feel better for getting that off my chest. Now go do what you want with your truck.
    </rant>

11. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    This is the most practical and helpful suggestion. I'd recommend doing this to achieve the result you're looking for. :)

12. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    oh, from my perspective i was thinking maybe take an hour and do it on your own. but thats me :) goodluck

13. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Spare tires a good idea. Your the first person to answer actual question I had. Is there a discrete way to keep bed empty. Thank you

14. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    To each his own. That why you own your truck and I own mine. We like different looks than one another. Was a "rant" necessary? Because you disagree with the look of a truck?

15. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Sure most practical. But then I'd be Cali bulldogging. Not looking for that just level.

16. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    No, pugga was the first guy to answer the exact question you had.

17. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Intend on doing work on my own. Part of the reason I dont want to get under truck and do it twice operating jacks and jack stands without help isn't something I enjoy doing if I can avoid. If I had a helping hand maybe it wouldnt be as big of a pain in the ass doing things twice. But trying to avoid that.

18. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
    not that it's the right answer. but yes, you got the answer you wanted to hear :)

19. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    How is it that if my truck sits level its for looks not functionality. I use my bed of my truck daily. Even if it's level. Don't see how functionality has been affected. Unless you just don't like the look with bed weighed down. But in my opinion still functions.

20. Nov 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    FLtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    And that was only answer I was looking for not everyone's opinions on what they like for a truck to look like. No offense anyone. But it took 15 comments to get my answer because opinions on what they think looks better and beating around what I'd already said. I intend on 3" leaf pack but intill then looking cheaper. Sure I could remove block add this take out that. Hell I could go buy a LT kit. But I'm trying to avoid this right now. Weather it seams pointless or stupid or not what you'd do. Rant over. Thanks for answer though man. I was just curious how if anyone had done this and saved bed room

Products Discussed in

To Top