1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DishNetwork or DirectTV?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Banchi94, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 24, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    bauermike

bauermike Western Alliance

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08' Prerunner, Radiant Red
    Billet Grill

I will let you know! I travel up to Parker as well, my Aunt lives there. We are excited to move. Finally the Army is doing something right with me!

2. Jun 24, 2008 at 11:59 AM
    Banchi94

Banchi94 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Blue TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Thanks for your service, bro! My dad is retired Coast Guard. We were stationed in Guam (3 years), Hawaii (4 years), and Alaska (11 years). I loved Kodiak, but Hawaii sure was nice!:D

3. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:06 PM
    bauermike

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grill

Alaska would be cool. The unit I was with for 5 years was based out of Hawaii, but I never got to go there, :mad:I just stayed in Tacoma, WA. Until we deployed to Iraq. You dont have to thank me, I have never felt like I "serve." I just really love what I did while in the Army, and I felt that when I left, I was making a mistake.

4. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:08 PM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    No matter...you still serve our country, and being from a military family, it's still a sacrifice. Thank you still!

5. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM
    bauermike

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grill
    :)ok, I wont argue

6. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:23 PM
    BLOCKADE

BLOCKADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Front Bed D-Rings...
    even though the thread isn't exactly on topic any more, I though I would add my two cents.

I have DishNetwork, I was about to switch to Directv about a month ago simply because they had like three times more HD content than Dish. The very same week that I was considering the switch, Dish added a bunch more HD channels with the promise of a total of 100 being added by the end of the year. DishNetworks Duel tuner HD DVR is THE BEST DVR out there right now, CNET and ConsumerReports both gave it the highest praise. You can record two HD channels off the Satellite as well as a local HD channel off antenna (if you have one hooked up) all at the same time (that's a total of 3 recordings at once!) and you don't have to pay a dime up front. I had a Tivo and I don't think Dish or Direct compare to the UI but Dish is definately better than Direct when it comes to usability. Also, you can add an external Hard Drive and store and endless amount of shows and movies (that ability does cost and extra $40 wich sucks but might be worth it).

7. Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 PM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Thanks for the input! I'm definitely leaning more toward DishNetwork...I just need to find a good sale for new subscribers.

8. Jun 24, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I was like you. I hate CRAPCAST! So when I moved to my new house I wanted Satellite. But which one? I did some research & found Dish was much cheaper than Direct. Direct wanted $200 for the HD DVR. Plus $99 for installation. There monthly service was going to run me $160 with 3 tv's (1 of them HD), 1 premium channel. I got dish for free installation, no eqiupment to buy, with the discounts service was $70 for the first 6 months. With dish, my home phone service, & DSL I pay $140 a month now. Dish hardly ever goes out, unless it is an extremely bad storm. It never goes out if it is just raining.

Dish does have a bunch of HD channels & are adding more constantly. I think once Feb 2009 comes & goes. Every channel will be HD. The problem is small stations can't afford to send both analog & digital. Once analog goes away, that will change the playing field.

Good luck,
    Sean

9. Jun 24, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Thanks, Sean! I need to find some good discounts in my area. Like you, I also found that DirectTV asked so much money for their hardware and pretty much charged for everything.

10. Jun 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    You are welcome.

If you really like CRAPCAST (for those that read this and do). There is a trick with them that you can get a great deal. I used it in the past. Call them up and tell them you are thinking of switching to satellite (even if you aren't thinking this).
    And ask what can you do to keep me as a customer? I did this twice (because at my old house I couldn't get satellite, too many trees) & they gave a "ditch the dish" credit $25 a month off service for 16 months. Plus I got my highspeed internet for $20 a month for 6 months. Also this only works if you are not getting discounts on your service currently.

Good luck,
    Sean

11. Jun 24, 2008 at 6:48 PM
    bauermike

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Billet Grill
    that is awesome!

12. Jun 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    i dropped charter for dish network and have to say their hd-dvr is the best i've used.lots of hd channels and if you really want dish pm me and i might have a coupon where we would both get free ppv movies or something. i will have to check.

13. Jun 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I did my research, and for the price we got a few more HD channels on DTV for the price. We have 2 HD boxes one is the 120 GB DVR (I think, highest capacity they had). I have been pretty pleased with the service. Used to be stuck with Coxuckers. I was not a fan.

14. Jun 24, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We ditched Comcast about a year ago and went with Direct TV.Comcast sucks for HD content.
    It's been great!! The only problems we experience, is about once a month the DVR box locks up and it needs to be reset (10 minute process ?).

My Dad down in VA had Dish network for many years and became annoyed with it - not sure why but I think he had a lot of signal problems and tried to remedy it with them without any success. You don't wanna piss off my dad .... He used to work in the TV business.

He actually switched from Dish Network to Direct TV last year. I haven't heard any complaints yet.

15. Jun 24, 2008 at 10:47 PM
    genxer36

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Long ago Dish Network was crap. He may have just had old equipment. Dish Network of today is much better. Old Dish Network you had to have a second dish to get local channels. Todays Dish Network 1 dish works for both. I had Dish network many years ago & now I have it today. Much better now. I tried Direct tv long ago also, but it was the most expensive of the bunch. My rankings are Dish Network, Direct Tv, & Crapcast.

16. Jun 25, 2008 at 1:31 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If it was the equipment.... then why didn't Dish Network offer to upgrade his equipment? My Dad's been complaining to them multiple times over the years without any results or success.

Hence, why he left.

17. Jun 25, 2008 at 8:38 AM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    Thanks so much for all your feedback, Gang! Very helpful and insightful. I will be moving over to DishNetwork as soon as I can find a time that they can come over and do the install.

Y'all rock! :rockband:

18. Jun 25, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I have Dish as well with a dual tuner DVR. Don't pay much attention to HD as I have 3 older TVs, and the video to our main one is split through a box switching between sat, xbox, ps2, and dvd player. But I LOVE the DVR!!! :D I can pause it every time the wife goes wandering off for something, or the kids come running in making noise. Dual tuners means 1 box can run 2 tvs with no extra cost. So one runs the main tv, and the other runs one in the kids' room (with an RF remote, and split to the TV in our bedroom).

I've had Time Warner for the last 9 years, and most recently I had more fade outs, picture break up and sound dropping from Time Warner's cable than from Dish once we bought the new house. I don't get it! :laugh: Direct cable connection to TW, and the service at our appartment crapped out more often than the dish at our house does even with rain and snow.

Not to mention we got Dish through Frontier in a package deal with phone and DSL. $150/mo for DSL, unlimited long distance and 250 sat channels.

The Frontier guys rocked setting it up too. Unlike TW where I always had to go behind them and rewire it the way I wanted.

19. Jun 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM
    Banchi94

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    ToyTec 3" basic lift
    I don't get it either...you'd think a direct connection from the cable source would provide better signal strength. I guess it depends on where you live and how many people are pulling off of the main cable line. I live in a townhome with 5 other units, so I'm sure the signal strength has degraded some. With dish, you don't share with anyone.

20. Jun 25, 2008 at 10:10 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Funny part was I had 3 different TW techs out there because my RR signal was crap and kept dropping so they removed every single splitter or tap between my apartment and the pole. RR worked great (except for need to replace the modem twice), but the TV still flaked out. Dish goes out for a few minutes here n there when we have HEAVY rain, but that's about it. Had it for almost 2 years now and I think it's better than cable! :D Not to mention, my DSL seems better too. Not faster than cable internet, but things download in less time so maybe the speed is just more consitent. Instead of spiking and dropping like with cable. Either way, I don't miss cable! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top