1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DishNetwork or DirectTV?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Banchi94, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 26, 2009 at 6:23 PM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Any other comments out there? I've had DirecTV for 10+ years now, but I'm paying $80 a month for the Choice package, 1 DVR, 1 HD receiver. I'm thinking about switching to DishNetwork Turbo HD with 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver, and it would be about $20 less per month. It is less channels with Dishnetwork, but who watches Galavision and Lifetime?!?

2. Jan 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    DirecTV did to me exactly what they are being class-action sued for in more than one state.

I moved exactly 1.2 miles from my old house to this one. I used the "movers package" from them two days before I disconnected the receivers and hooked them up at the new house.

Guy shows up and tells me I have old receivers and they won't work anymore. Keep in mind this is 4 days after they were working fine 1.2 miles away. So he gives me new boxes. Apparently that meant I was locked into a NEW 2 year contract.

I went to temporarily suspend service since I got laid off. They declared I had terminated the two years early, got into my bank account and took 461 bucks. Early termination fee, "deposit" for two receivers (they never asked for them back, ever), balance due while the service was suspended, and the NEXT month's bill. I had been a DirecTV customer since 1990, this is the way they treat their (formerly) loyal customers.

DirecTV are bastards. My bank took the money back from them and changed my account number so they can't take it back. Now, they can rot in hell.

3. Jan 29, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    Gorilla_97

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    I called DirecTV and was able to negotiate the following:

1. $199.99 HD DVR - $60 instant credit
    2. Free HD access for 1 yr - $119.88
    3. Free DVR service for 6 mo - $35.94
    4. Free Showtime for 3 months

So I pay upfront for the HD DVR to be dropped shipped to my house (I'm not paying some tech $99 to hook it up!). Then I get my money back in the form of credits for the next 12 months. I will actually end up about $17 ahead at the end of the 12 months.

Should I ask for more? I've been a DirecTV customer for over 10 years, and I didn't have to ask very hard for this deal.

4. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    Gorilla_97

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    So after doing alot of research and price comparisons, I've decided to switch to Dishnetwork. Here's what I'm getting:

1) Classic Bronze 100 Plus with local channels
    2) Bronze HD
    3) 1 HD DVR receiver
    4) 1 HD standard receiver
    5) Cinemax - 1 yr for $0.01

All this for $32.97/mo for 6 months, then $67.97/mo for the next 18 months (24 month commitment). I'm paying almost $82/mo right now with DirecTV.

All told I'll be saving almost $500 over the next 2 years vs. my DirecTV service, plus I get 2 HD receivers (only 1 with DirecTV) with one of those being an HD DVR (no HD DVR with DirecTV).

Install is scheduled for Saturday so I can be present. I'm not going to cancel DirecTV until the install is completed and I'm satisfied.

5. Feb 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I've made some observations on both:
    I have Dish BTW
    My folks have Direct TV- Their equipment cost imo is overpriced. I know the serivce is regional and there are different service centers.. but my folks had to do without for a week at one point to get the main cabling repaired. Now keep in mind they (folks) have not one but 8, yes eight! receivers. They still blew 'em off.

My Dish guy went the extra mile setting up my system. Made sure and double checked aiming, signal strength, connections. Heck I hadn't even moved in yet, no tv's in the house. He said no prob.. :cool: I plugged my HD in and smiled. :D I have a decent treeline behind the house and still no signal degradation during foul weather.

Dish is faster on channel switching esp on HD feeds and the guides are much better laid out for programming, recording.

6. Feb 17, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I'm happy with my DirecTV service. The new DVR is nice... plenty of capacity, can stream media over my home network to it, and they have tons of awesome free video-on-demand content. If you call them and tell them that you think dish has a better package, you can easily get them to throw in a bunch of freebies. I got the HD-DVR for $99, showtime free for a year, a coupon book for discounts on ppv stuff and other programming, as well as a 3 free months of programming. My signal is awesome too. I've had it for about a year now, and it's never dropped on me to my knowledge.

7. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Do you have the newer style DVR box? (If you look on the back, I think it'll have cooling fins back there).

We were running the older designed box for a couple years and the thing kept locking up and causing us all sorts of problems. They finally sent us a newly designed box and we've haven't had any problems since. It's about damn time! Love the service otherwise....

8. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Yeah, I've got the newer box. It's 100x better than the crap DVR from Comcast.

9. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Dish sucks, Directv all the way!

10. Feb 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    SilverSeven

SilverSeven Rock Solid Toy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    South Jurzee
    Vehicle:
    6" 35s mud and scratched to shit
    i keep not getting dish, and always wish i had..

You can watch AlJazeera with Dish, AND all the football games

11. Feb 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    Gorilla_97

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    Got Dishnetwork installed today, very happy with the service and picture quality. Another nice feature is I can now use my picture-in-picture on my big screen TV, I couldn't do that with DirecTV. Plus I'll be saving over $600 in programming fees for the next 24 months.:thumbsup:

12. Feb 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM
    kvnhlstd

kvnhlstd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Valley of the Sun (Hot Sun)
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    DishNetwork blows DirectTV away, within two months they will have more HD channels for less price...
    The only thing that Direct has is the NFL ticket. Word is that will go away in two years though... NFL network is taking all the games once the contracts are up.
    DishNetwork has a new DVR coming out in three weeks... 922. It is the fastest, biggest hrd drv and a built in slingbox. With the sling technology you will be able to watch your home TV/recorded shows anywhere in the world on a laptop, computer, PDA with a wireless connection.

13. Feb 22, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    We recently switched to DishNetwork from Charter Communications, who will systematicaly suck the life out of you if you let them.

We don't watch all that many channels, so we got the TurboHD Bronze package. In fact, the only channel we gave up that we really cared about was Fox News. To our surprise, though, even Fox News has been coming in the last few days. We couldn't be happier.

We have two HDTVs (one w/ a DVR) and two standard definition TVs (one w/ a DVR). Almost every channel we get is HD, including all locals. We pay just under $50/month including taxes, fees. Except for a $6/month fee that has been waived for the first 9 months, it's not a promotial fee.

14. Feb 22, 2009 at 7:17 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
  15. Feb 22, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    TacoCo

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    And only get 20 channels in HD? No thanks.

16. Feb 22, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    kvnhlstd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    Delmarva... I would think that you would be all over DishNetwork, with your type of job.
    Just think, you could watch every episode of the "Office" :cool: while deployed to some Sheethole place. Just bring out your laptop with wireless and click on your DVR's homepage and start watching your TV from a thousand miles away. Plus if you recorded shows you could watch them over and over.

17. Mar 1, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    jmo

jmo Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD 4.0 V6 TRD Off Road
    TRD CAI, TRD Catback, nurf bars, 3"procomp suspension lift
    I personnally have to go with Directv just for the NFL packages!!!

18. Mar 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    How's that work? I have DIsh.... Thought I needed slingbox to do that... :confused:

19. Mar 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    kvnhlstd

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4X4
    DishNetwork has a new DVR coming out in three weeks... 922. It is the fastest, biggest hrd drv/ 1 terrabite and a built in slingbox. With the sling technology you will be able to watch your home TV/recorded shows anywhere in the world on a laptop, computer, PDA with a wireless connection. stated above...

20. Mar 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    Sweet. It might be time to trade in my trusty series one I've hacked a dozen times to end up with 600GB. If only I wouldn't lose that lifetime subscription.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top