1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Disturbing conversation at work.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dhawk1313, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Rep to you sir!

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    TacoAL

TacoAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    The Gunshine State
    Vehicle:
    TC
    None (for now)
    Not sure about your state but in FL the company foots most if not all of the unemployment. I had a guy that was worthless till after lunch time. He would come back well over the limit and make 3x the money others would in half the time. But I had to fire him because of insurance issues and it was cheaper in the long run. Got to love these laws!

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    bethes

bethes Señorita Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beth
    Tulsa/Sand Springs, OK
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 TRD Off Road
    Quitting of your own accord also precludes you from collecting unemployment. I worked for a company that would harass employees until they quit because they didn't want to pay unemployment. Cussing people out on the phone, taking away their bonuses for stuff that was in violation of quality standards or was in a gray area but they always let slide until they wanted you gone, allowing supervisors to be horendously mean until the person quit, trolling people's LinkedIn accounts (can't block people on LinkedIn), not approving time off for weddings and funerals (or approving the time off then changing thier mind at the last minute), "randomly" drug testing them constantly, they even transferred one guy 1000 miles from home with no notice just so he'd quit. I worry that the company isn't just looking for a lawsuit there, but that kind of crap was often that last straw when someone shows up at the office with bombs and guns and starts shooting.

Luckily I was never the target but once I noticed the pattern I started looking for a new job. In the case of the OP, the company should have been honest about why he was fired; it was for cause and most definitely his fault. The fact they allowed that to happen is on them, they can't complain about having to pay his unemployment.

But for most people who are let go without cause, unemployment is earned. It's part of their employment terms, something the company agreed to. Saying they shouldn't take the unemployment is about like saying they shouldn't take thier paycheck. They really are entitled to it because they met their end of the employment agreement.

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    meh, people like to whine and complain about everything..."oh, well how come a retired president makes $450,000 a year?" "why does a veteran only get $500 a month after risking his life for the country!" There's a lot of people who think they're entitled to something...I truly don't care who's getting "free" money...I have a job that I love...i love it and will hopefully do it until my back breaks...not giving this person money...or complaining about the president getting a shit load of money for the rest of his life will not change how i live...OP you're 19....focus in what's going to make you money and take care of your family/future family...let the douche play his video games...rant over.

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    It's one thing to draw unemployment for being let go from a job due to downsizing/reorganization, etc... but being fired for cause is another thing altogether.

Now, drawing unemployment temporarily while actively seeking employment is fine by me--that's what it's there for--but to choose to draw unemployment with no intention to seek further employment--effectively, milking the system--is laziness, pure and simple and I have no time for people like that. Unfortunately, we have far too many of them nowadays. People can blame the economy all they want, but it boils down to a matter of personal initiative and motivation.

When I hear people whine about being unemployed for months on end (the 99 weekers), I can't help but think three things: First, you aren't trying hard enough. Second, move to where the the jobs are. And third, suck up your ego/pride and take whatever job you can until you find something better.

How anyone with children can live off on unemployment for months/years on end and still be able to look those kids in the eye is beyond me. The same goes with welfare. If you need it to get by for a little bit, fine--again, that's what it's there for. But to choose to be a perpetual drain on society and collect public assistance for years on end is disgusting. Any parent that demonstrates that sort of laziness to a child is a criminal in my estimation; a horrible example for their own children to imitate.

Bottom line: In the end, we are each the masters of our own circumstance. If your circumstance is shitty, change it. Don't whine, don't beg, and don't expect a handout. Bust your ass and change your life. Millions have done it... and those that don't are not sufficiently motivated. That's why public assistance and unemployment must be limited in their duration, otherwise, most people will eventually lose all motivation to be productive members of society.

Reminds me of these idiot "occupiers" that are out there protesting, waiting for the government to come give them a handout. They want to be taken care of because they can't take care of themselves. They are owed nothing. What exactly are they protesting? Hell, they don't even know. They are jobless, spineless, lazy, and have nothing better to do than spend their days whining about what they don't have, and that others have too much. Pure jealousy and hate for those that work hard and are enjoying the fruits of their labors. The "occupiers" have lost hope in themselves and in doing so, all self respect.

Notice, those that are employed--especially those with families--don't have time to go sit around in circles and protest all day long. They have responsibilities and know that hard work and a disciplined work ethic is rewarded.

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM
    bobg03

bobg03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NE Ct
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Wheels, Bull Bar, Tonneau Cover
    The years and years makes sense......BUT he was fired for drinking, thus should get NO benefits. More likely he should seek help, cause my guess is he's young, no?

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    People abuse the system all the time for their own benefit. There is a former cop in Washington who was fired for an off-duty DUI hit-and-run and who wanted to get paid a quarter million dollars and reinstated as a police detective because being a drunk is a "disease" and the city should have been nicer to him. Apparently the city said "no" and now he's suing for four million under the Americans with Disabilities act. If he wins this you might as well throw out the legal system because anyone will have an excuse for doing anything if they are a wino or druggie.

http://www.kxly.com/news/City-Not-Happy-Rehiring-Thoma/-/101270/9223890/-/ljq6jaz/-/index.html
    http://www.khq.com/story/17027891/spokane-officer-fired-possible-4-million-dollar-lawsuit-on-the-way

8. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Do you get disgusted when you use the insurance for you truck, or health insurance, or house? Unemployment insurance is just that... when you get laid off or become unemployed then its there as insurance. Now, being fired and/or let is a justification for insurance , not a good one, but still a justification. They guys attitude is piss poor and a bit unsettling, but thats the only problem I see... there is nothing wrong with collecting the insurance money that you paid whether its health, auto, or employment

9. Apr 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Wet Okole's F&R, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs, Leer 100r, aFe air filter, K&n cabin filter
    x2.. I used to whine about paying health insurance every month but oooooo after almost $500,000 in surgery/physical therapy later I'm glad I only have to pay my tiny chunk a month and not that huge sum off for the rest of my life.

Products Discussed in

To Top