1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DITCH CAI FOR DECKPLATE MOD AND AIRAID INTAKE TUBE??

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by crainz277, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    crainz277

crainz277 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma double cab
    Deck plate mod, Bilstein 5100 struts with 3" eibach coils,toyotec diff drop, 5100 rear shocks, 3" tuff country AAl, 265/75/16 GY wrangler authority on Moto Metal 955 chrome wheels, husky liners, 10" kenwood sub and kenwood deck.also ARE cap, Avital keyless entry and remote start, winter tires- 265/75/16 BFG at's on stock wheels, homemade bpv valve bracket, extended rear brake line, light racing UCA's, tinted windows... It's all in the build
    Hello fellas, I know there has been a fair share of threads on the deckplate mod vs CAI and supposed hp increases...I know I know. But I was looking for your opinion. I'm currently running a K&N CAI, but have been looking at the airaid intake tube/dry filter combo..I wanted an opinion from all, especially those that have gone from CAI to deckplate.

Should I ditch the CAI and get a stock air box, do the deckplate mod as well as buy the airaid intake tube with dry filter?

or

Save my money and just keep the CAI?

Your opinions/experience are greatly appreciated.

Zach

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Do the deck plate, with the stock tubing. No gains from getting the Airaid tube.

3. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    crainz277

Member:
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma double cab
    Deck plate mod, Bilstein 5100 struts with 3" eibach coils,toyotec diff drop, 5100 rear shocks, 3" tuff country AAl, 265/75/16 GY wrangler authority on Moto Metal 955 chrome wheels, husky liners, 10" kenwood sub and kenwood deck.also ARE cap, Avital keyless entry and remote start, winter tires- 265/75/16 BFG at's on stock wheels, homemade bpv valve bracket, extended rear brake line, light racing UCA's, tinted windows... It's all in the build
    Hmm interesting..I can agree with those who like the airaid intake tube for the cleaner look.lol I do like that. Problem is..I would have to drop some money on a factory airbox and intake bc I sold mine. So I wonder if I should save my money or go for the deckplate bc it is supposedly that much better.

4. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Thor

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The K&N showed no gains, while the deck plate does. Your call.

5. Mar 21, 2012 at 2:53 AM
    01TacoBuz

01TacoBuz Well-Known Member

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    To the Op, try to find a stock airbox at a junkyard and do the deckplate mod

I am using the K&N stock replacement filter with deckplate mod, if you go with the same filter, just make sure after every cleaning that you use minimal oil, just a very light spray and that`s all, if not, you will be removing your MAF sensor and cleaning it everytime

I also fabricated walls that are attached to the sides of the stock airbox to keep hot engine air from getting to the front of the airbox

I removed rear cat and I have the URD rear simulator, Im running a MagnaFlow muffler with stock piping size

Some say you lose low end torque by removing rear cat, If anything, throttle response is much better, I dont notice any loss at all from low rpm`s through the power band and the power band did not go up it remained the same

With these inexpensive mods I am getting better gas mileage than I have ever gotten, as long as I keep my foot out of it

At my last fillup on sunday, 11.53 gallons for 297 miles comes to 25.75 :) if I recall when it was new it was only rated at 24mpg hwy

25.75 mpg is combo of city and hwy miles, I used to get an average of 20 to 21

I cant wait to see what it will get with all hwy miles on a tank of gas

Good luck with what ever you decide

6. Mar 21, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    crainz277

Member:
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma double cab
    That's actually what I was thinking. I called around a couple days ago to see if any junk yards had any..no luck. I definitely am not looking to buy a new airbox as they are around $200 which is almost as much as the CAI when I bought it. I really wish now I would have just held on to my airbox when I had it. I would trade the CAI for a factory intake if anyone was willing...but I would want some $ in addition as I paid about $260 for my CAI. I would value a used factory intake at about $70. I sold mine for $100 shipped with a K&N drop in.

7. Mar 21, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    That K&N isn't cold air.

8. Mar 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    01TacoBuz

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    K&N drop in filter, URD rear simulator, Deck plate mod/home made CAI, No rear cat, MagnaFlow muffler
    Crainz
    Call every junkyard in your area and check some sites online that sell junkyard parts

Dont give up youll eventually find one

9. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM
    01TacoBuz

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Just filled up again yesterday, this is the 3rd tank of gas since all of the changes

On this tank I kept my foot out of it to see if it would be any better, shifting at around 2k

338 miles using 12.2 gallons=27.7 Mpg Hwy and City combined :D

I still havent taken it on a road trip to see what it will get strictly Hwy

10. Apr 3, 2012 at 5:52 AM
    crainz277

Member:
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma double cab
    You must have a 4 banger??

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    01TacoBuz

Member:
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Yes, but it has never gotten close to the gas mileage that it is currently getting

It used to get 20 in the city and 24 hwy

To Top