1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY 1st gen angle iron Bed/Light Bar

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by geoff06, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    geoff06

geoff06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Sway-A-Way Racerunner coilovers, rear AAL, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steels painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, DIY angle iron bed/light bar, bumper-mounted halogen offroad lights, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    Well, I completed my project for a total of about $50. This is my first writeup, so please bear with me

Necessary for this project are--
    -6' length of 2x2" angle iron
    -2 6" stainless handles
    -2 3/8" dia. bolts/nuts
    -4 3/16" bolts /washers/nuts
    -power drill with a 3/8" and 3/16" metal cutting bits
    -sawzall
    -right-angle grinder
    -a pair of 55w fog lights (or any other aftermarket lights)

I started out with buying a 6' angle iron
    I next measured and cut the angle iron to fit the width of the entire bed top (60.5”—it almost reaches to the outside of my drop-in bedliner on each side). Then I notched out a 3.25” section on each side of the bar with a sawzall. Used a grinder to smooth/even out the cut area.
    [​IMG]
    Then I dryfitted the angle iron to see what I was up against with the position of the future mounting holes
    [​IMG]
    Next, it was time to drill the holes. I initially felt around under the top of the bedsides at the front of the bed and realized that there was an opening in the “inner” element of the 2-piece bedside. I used this as a starting point for where to drill the mounting holes in the bedsides. I drilled one 3/8” hole on each side exactly 4-3/8” back from the front edge of the bed.
    [​IMG]
    After drilling the bed holes, I drilled 5 3/8” holes in the top of the angle iron. 2 mounting holes—1 hole 1” in from each side. 2 holes for mounting my 55w fog lights—1 hole 6” in from each side. And finally 1 hole about 1’ in from the left side for mounting my CB antenna later down the road. Then I drilled the 4 3/16” holes to mount the handles in the rear facing edge of the angle iron.
    Next, I sanded the bar down with 220 sandpaper, then sprayed the bar with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating.
    [​IMG]
    After the bedliner spray had cured, I mounted the lights and handles on it. To ground the lights, I found it convenient to just have the built-in ground wire ends bolted to the bar on the outermost handle bolts. After everything was tightened up, it was time to mount the bar to the bed, using the 3/8” bolts. I held each nut in a socket extension in a bedliner opening just under the bed holes so I could put the bolts through without losing anything under the drop-in liner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now time to wire everything up. First I used about 3.5’ of wire with an inline fuse, leading from the engine bay fuse box through the firewall to the switch (I put this switch next to my aftermarket front light switch in my in-cab fusebox cover). 12’ of wire leading from the switch to the drivers side bed light, running back through the firewall, down near the transmission area, along the frame through openings in the bodymounts, and in between the cab/bed with a “Y” terminal at the end (I put this run in a ridged plastic sleeve to protect it from the elements). 4’ of wire from drivers side light to passenger side light.
    Here’s my colorful switch setup
    [​IMG]
    And that’s pretty much it. I’m happy with the outcome, as the whole bed bar/light setup doesn’t draw too much attention to itself. Can be used camping, emergency situations, running tailgaters off the road…(JUST KIDDING!)
    Thanks for reading!
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen > 2nd gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4 MANual
    sparkles, fairys, and happy things.
    pics are uhh... :confused:

3. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    geoff06

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    3" lift, Sway-A-Way Racerunner coilovers, rear AAL, Rough Country 9000 rear shocks, 265/75/16 AT's on stock steels painted black, All-Pro 1.5"F/1.25"R wheel spacers, airbox elbow mod, Flowmaster Super 44, Davico post-cat, DIY angle iron bed/light bar, bumper-mounted halogen offroad lights, bed wheel well shovel-mount, blacked out grill emblem, Poineer DEH-P3900 head unit, Alpine Type R front component speakers, Pioneer Coaxial rears, Dynamat in door panels, scratchbuilt aluminum holders for my ipod nano and phone, and for some reason, I painted the headlight fillers black...
    fixed. can u see em now?

4. Mar 24, 2011 at 7:54 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    Resurrected LT TRD S/C 4x4
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th Injector Kit, Total Chaos LT, King Coilov....too much shit to list.
    :thumbsup:
    Nicely done!

5. Mar 24, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Anthony250

Anthony250 E-Fabber

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Gabriel Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    Eagle Alloy's 058 on Goodyear BFG All Terrians . 265/75/16. Kenwood Stereo, 12" JL Audio Sub. Led Lighting interior. Led Turn Signals. Custom Bumper ,Total Chaos Long travel Sway away shocks, glassworks fenders, ,Spintech Super Pro street muffler, Hellas 500ff HID Converted, Window Tint,Black Emblems, Deckplate, , Deaver Prerunner Pack, Bilstein 7100's 12" SB's and Sway Away 2" Air Bumps
  6. Mar 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM
    stevenstaco

stevenstaco B A N N E D

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sacramento ca
    Vehicle:
    o7 trd sport sr5 4x4/06 4runner sr5 4x4
    1.5 aal,Tacomaworld sticker,Blacked out tail lights,bhlm,.dumped exhaust,relocated 7 pin ,rear diff breather mod,bed lights,hella 500s behind the grill,plastidipped lower vallance,mag light mod,debadged,black billit grill,bedmat mod,airaid intake,vynil armrests and back rests,tailgate theft mod, ipod interface,backseat cargo mod,front 5100s
    looks good ...gotta love ange iron:D

7. Mar 25, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    I like that a lot. Unfortunately I just got a new camper so I won't have any use for this really. Had I not have just bought the camper, I would be doing this today.

8. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    geoff06

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    thanks guys!

9. Mar 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM
    BSPDX

BSPDX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ha... I am doing the same thing! Nice wripte up and pics!

10. Nov 24, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    geoff06

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner Xcab lifted
    A note to anyone who might make this bar for their truck:

I'm sure most of you will realize that only one mounting bolt per side is not enough to make this thing very stable and usable. A couple months after I made this, I installed an additional mounting bolt on each side. It is way more usable now and solid as a rock

11. Feb 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM
    TacoSurf4x4

TacoSurf4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seal Beach
    Vehicle:
    4x4 board truck
    3 inch lift
    Great write up! simple and informative...

To Top