1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by maverick491, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Apr 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    07TacoRidah

07TacoRidah SHHHH, this is interesting

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Base Model Access Cab
    Engine bay: aFe Pro Dry filter Secondary air filter deleted Sokie Tech hood damper kit OReiley battery terminals Big 3 upgrade (0g wiring) 2012 Headlight swap HID kit (headlight 6k/fog light 3k) Sylvania Zevo LED turn signals w/hyper flash resistors Rear back up light GY6 bulb Bullz Audio 0g wire Exterior: Dynamik Retro Projector style headlight housing Depo Euro Black Altezza LED tails 2012 front grill/bumper cover w/ fog light and hood swap Rear bumper swap (to chrome, painted w/bedliner paint) 99 Cents Store tailgate lock Suspension: XR Bilsteins Universal Air Suspension strut bag Custom UCA's DJM 4" rear drop kit 1" spindle spacer kit 4x4 leaf pack swap (middle leaf removed) Air Lift rear helper springs 4 Siria (Asco) 3/8" air valves 3 gallon air tank 1/4' air lines 90's Acura Integra door switches to air valves ViAir 450 air compressor Rims: 18x10 Work VS-KF front w/5" lip 18x11 Work VS-KF rear w/6" lip 225/40/18 tires all around Sick Speed 3 piece spike lug nuts Pepboys valve stem caps 1" wheel spacers all around Interior: Wink Mirror rear view Center console lid fabric Metra Dash kit Kenwood bluetooth headunit Hifonics Zeus ZXi 6410 PB 6 1/2" component speakers up front 10" single Hifonics subwoofer 10" sealed angled box Katana shift knob
    OOHHHH snappp!!! lol had me confused for a quick minute. I didn't use the adpaters BUT this is how I think they will be connecting - obviously via the OEM harness for input, BUT instead of 4 wires coming out from the adapter, it will only have 2 (on the OEM harness, the main output wires from the H.U. are easily sectioned to one side), so it will look like the OEM harness, just minus 2 wires that go to the 6x9 (cause you will need is the main output wire to go to the crossover to your comps, positioning is all up to you and that allows).

Photo0827 copy.jpg

2. Apr 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The Crutchfield (and Sonic, and *********) adapters simply plug into the stock 6x9 (or 6") connector and give you the female spade terminals that connect to aftermarket speakers.
    Crutchfield is normally good about installation instructions so they MAY go into more detail, but maybe not.

I have not seen any adapters that plug into the tweeter connector, but that would be a perfect place to tap into the stock harness without having to do any cutting of the factory wiring.

I cut the tweeter and jumpered the tweeter connector, then used the adapter to plug into the harness that was plugged into my 6", and connected that to the crossover (mounted that under the armrest).
    Ran from the crossover to the tweeter and the mid.

A great idea would be to pull the entire door harnesses from a junkyard donor truck, cut the connectors off where they tie in under the kick panels, and use those to build your own harness from the kick panels out.

3. May 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM
    tacoidaho

tacoidaho Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Got my Alpine speaker set today and have to say I am pretty disappointed.
    I have read and re-read what little documentation came with the speakers and I can say without reservation the Alpine instructions are pretty much useless.
    Even the Crutchfield pics leave you guessing for disassembly, which i have no problem with. Lots of help there on the Tube.
    Lack of wiring instruction leaves you in the dark.

What a pity.
    Was hoping better from Alpine , I'm gonna call Crutchfield for tech help. If that too-is all hype, I'm sending them back.

4. May 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    So........
    Here is a pic of a all the pieces. You would think it would be easy to show this wire goes here?

Have no idea what this cigar looking thing is in shrink wrap? And where do we mount it?
    4 wires..... really? and none of the connectors line up?
    Gonna call Crutchfield tech support.

Hoping I talk to somebody who can figure this all out.

[​IMG]

5. May 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The cigar shaped thing is likely your crossover. It will plug into the tweeter, the other end most likely connects to the spare set of lugs on the woofer.
    Do verify this with Crutchfield, but that looks like a high-pass filter.

The short adapter will connect the woofer to the factory harness.

You will have to modify the factory wiring since unplugging the factory tweeter will disconnect the woofer from the head unit.

newspkrwire.jpg

6. May 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Rich,
    First of all, thanks for your efforts to help!

Spoke w/ "Tom" @ Crutchfield and he said wire them up as described below.
    Do you see any problem???

[​IMG]

7. May 6, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's going to take some cutting and soldering. The Alpine tweeter won't connect directly to the factory harness.

That's also going to send 100% of your unfiltered signal to the tweeter. Doesn't sound right.

8. May 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    OK
    I will try it your way first, Tom didn't sound too sure of himself.

Tried an email to TT for a mounting adapter for the tweeters, if I don't hear back in another day or so, prolly just go to Lowes and make my own.

Can't be that hard, the tweeters are 2" in diameter, I've got a hole saw that size. That and a bench sander, go to go.

Thanks again, Bud.

9. May 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    the4cecop

the4cecop Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner Sport
    Actually guys, am still working it but just hooked up the same Alpine Components (610C) and Alpine Coax (610) to my 2012. The components mounted for me (used the existing Tweeter mount, simply cut out cheap tweeter and the 610c tweeters went in just fine), little bit of adapting required. Mind you, I cut away the rest of the tweeter frame in the rear. Worked like a charm. The answer to the crossover hookup.....Attached factory harness to Alpine 6x5, attached required end of crossover to other set of tabs on 6x5, and ran other end of crossover wires to tweeter. Factory wiring going into the tweeter sounded like crap and had no effect on the 6x5, so I just taped them up and left them alone. Wouldn't work for me even jumping them to the tweeter crossover wires. Sounded like crap too. Works just fine the way I hooked them. Will send pic's when I wrap up my install.

10. May 7, 2012 at 4:43 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Hey, thank you very much!!!
    Sounds like you wired everything up the way Rich described above, ^^^

Please do post pics, I'm curious on the factory tweeter mount fitting the new Alpine tweeters, mine measured 2" diameter.
    DO you have the factory sub in your rig? (One with the blue light :)

Where did you end up mounting the crossover filters?

11. May 7, 2012 at 8:25 PM
    the4cecop

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner Sport
    No, no Sub. That's another pending project. I tucked the Crossovers behind the thickest factory wiring and zip tied them on each end. Plenty of room, didn't interfere with panel.

12. May 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    AF guy,
    Any pics yet?

13. May 12, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    the4cecop

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner Sport

Here you go:

Tweeter2.jpg
    Tweeter.jpg
    Crossovers.jpg
    Crossover2.jpg

14. May 14, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Saaweeeet!
    Are you happy with the way they sound?

By the way, thank you for your service!

15. May 14, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    the4cecop

Member:
    Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner Sport
    Thanks, appreciate you saying that....yes, much better than the stock, am happy with the sound. Can imagine greater sound with an amp. Next thing.

16. May 23, 2012 at 2:20 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    not sure if someone stated this already, this thread is huge! Looking on taco tunes under regular cab for my 07 they dont offer front mounts for 6x9's only for 6-1/2's. Is that because they wont fit in the front of the regular cab? I want some decent base without a sub so i was thinking 6x9's would be better than 6-1/2's. I dont know a lot about sounds just want some good stuff that sounds awesome. I have an alpine aftermarket deck so need to upgrade speakers now. Not sure either what brand to get i will check on that. Any help is appreciated. Sorry again if this has been addressed.

17. May 26, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    tacoidaho

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Thanks everyone who responded to this thread.

Just finished the speaker upgrade and am very pleased with the difference!

The highs from the new tweeters are most noticeable. Alpine setup is worth the money.
    Much cleaner sound.
    Used "Rich's" wiring scheme...flawless.

Only one casualty; the drivers side door "button" that gets pushed in, got pushed in a little too far.
    Still debating whether sound deadening is needed?

Just finished listening to Van Morrison's --- "So quiet in here".
    Ya baby, I've found tunes again! :bananadance:

18. Sep 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    coolerpooler

coolerpooler Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Martinez, GA
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Shaved Badges, Removed mud flaps and side steps,
    are there any speakers that dont require the taco tune spacer?

19. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You can make your own spacer, or buy a Metra or other adapter.

There are no round speakers that will bolt right into the doors.
    Not sure if a 6x9 will work... my truck is an RC and came with round speakers.

20. Sep 12, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    Nope but depending on what you buy your speakers, an adapter is usually available. Crutchfield generally gives the adapters away with your speaker purchase.

You can get an adapert to place a 6x9 speaker into the front doors but if you have rear doors, 6x9 will not fit without modifying the door.

To Top