1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Basic Speaker Upgrade- 2nd Gen Access Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by maverick491, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Jul 21, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    StompinStu

StompinStu Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Access Cab I4 5 speed
    why do you need to use the TacoTune spacers? Why cant you just re-install as you took out?

2. Jul 21, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    The holes from the stock speakers are HUGE!

3. Jul 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM
    Osiris117

Osiris117 "Historicly, Historic"

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Blazing Blue Metallic 2017 TRD Sport 4x4
    Totally "Stock"
    the holes that are left from the factory speakers are about 8in in diameter, thats why u need the spacers but u can make ur own ones way cheeper out of 1/2in MDF and rolled ice and water shield

4. Jul 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    do u mean line the whole door panal with rolled ice and water shield?

5. Jul 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    Osiris117

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Totally "Stock"
    u can go that rote but its a real pain in the ass, all u really need is a double layer on the back side of the speaker mount (the side touching the door, and not the side the speaker is attatched to). All you are really doing is cancelling out any unwanted panel vibrations that might be caused by the speakers

Elwing likes this.
  6. Jul 22, 2008 at 2:30 PM
    jtaco

jtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07,trdOR,DC,4x4,v6,saw2.5s,OMEdakars,LRarms
    saw2.5s,AEMshortair,skyjackershocks,LRa-arms,OME dakars,Alpine,JL audio 6x9 3 way in front doors
    ok i c, i used strip cauk for that.

7. Jul 22, 2008 at 2:31 PM
    Osiris117

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    Totally "Stock"
    either and or, its all good really

8. Aug 20, 2008 at 5:27 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    Quick question. How do you unclip the wiring for the windows on the driver's side door? I got the passanger side with no problem, but I could not get the driver's side door harness off. I'm scared to pull it too hard. I can't imagine what that would cost me to replace. Any instructions on getting that off? Thanks.

9. Aug 21, 2008 at 4:15 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 [OP] Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There is a push clip thing just like the passenger side, but it is rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise (if memory serves) just be patient, take your time and feel around and you'll find it. Squeese the tab, and it will come apart nicely like the other door.

10. Aug 27, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    TIM GAINOUS

TIM GAINOUS Well-Known Member

Member:
    tallahassee fl
    Vehicle:
    o7 base desert sand
    tints,venvisors,low pro toolbox, readylift sst ,afe pro dry,dynomax muffler,sec air filter removed. jvc aresenal, with rear jvc 6x9's front blaupunkts.
    Ive got an 7 std cab idont see any screws in the armrest area.i was wondering if all i gotta do is pull the sail panel and the screw in the door release handle? Im just a little leery about tearing into a late model truck. Anyways any help would be appreciated.

11. Oct 7, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    Toyotaphile

Toyotaphile New Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    89 supra getting my 09 taco in a few weeks
    None yet
    Hey little new to this love the tips and mods I do have some input in the stereo department in response to an earlier thread crutchfield only offers 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 bc the goal is to put your bass behind you,your highs ahead of you, and your mid range beside you. The 6x9 puts more bass to your side. The best way to accomplish a good sound configuration is component speakers in the front 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 (component speakers come with the speakers tweeters that are separate from the speaker its self and a crossover to get the appropriate frequencies to the right speaker) this allows for better sound because you have the option to mount the highs away from the mids the factory tweeter location would provide for good sound.

12. Oct 24, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    robsatx

robsatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma & 2008 Tundra
    Audio, lift
    Awesome write up!
    ********* has custom size mounts.

13. Oct 24, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    Mr. Marv on here makes the mounts as well, and they are SPECIFIC to your speaker. In some applications, my 6x9's for example, required specific mount widths. Mr. Marv did an excellent job (and was cheaper). :)

14. Oct 24, 2008 at 1:31 PM
    robsatx

robsatx Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma & 2008 Tundra
    Audio, lift
    Cheaper? Might want to check again . . . ********* has outdoor grade MDF for much less than the plastic mounts most people opt to buy from the website.

Custom sizes (specific to your size) are also available at no cost. ********* are a full 1" thick (I think others are using cheap 3/4 mdf). The ********* mounts are made from outdoor grade MDF, t does not contain formaldehyde.

Most peeps opt for the plastic over the MDF as they are pretty much bullet proof.

Elwing likes this.
  15. Jan 14, 2009 at 9:50 AM
    gbmo60

gbmo60 New Member

Member:
    Tinted windows, Lock on bed box,Fog light Mod, HID Headlights, Genex mirror, Pioneer 6x9 & 3.5's in front door & 6.5 in rear door
    I decided to replace my speakers and while I was at wanted to do something with those tweeters. Not finding anything that I liked, I put in a set of Pioneers 3 1/5" speakers tsa-878. It took a little modifying but am pleased with the sound. Did'nt think of taking any pictures.

16. Feb 3, 2009 at 3:56 AM
    dannyd1972

dannyd1972 Active Member

Member:
    Nashville,TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Magnetic Gray
    First let me say, bravo Maverick for that incredible write-up. I know that had to have been incredibly time consuming and we all appreciate the effort! Does anyone know if Toyota decided to drop the rear speakers in the access cab doors for the '09? I bought an '09 Prerunner last Oct. and don't have the grills pictured in Mav's write-up on my access cab doors?? I do however have these circa 1953 wafer-thin speakers in the headliner above both front buckets, which might quite possibly be the most painfully poor sounding speakers I have ever heard (reminds me of my Mom's old '77 Dodge Dart). I do not have the JBL 6-disc system but do have the factory XM satellite radio. Was this the punishment for not spending the extra $ on the "premium" sound system, or are they cutting corners this year...any ideas?

17. Feb 3, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Ha, if I could get the truck without any stereo hooked up, I would. The punishment is having to pay for any of that trash in the first place.

Toyota isn't likely to remove rear speakers. People assume you need speakers in all 4 corners of the vehicle. Play with the balance/fade controls to find the speakers

All levels of the sound systems offered give you trashy speakers - it's just how many trashy speakers you get!

18. Feb 4, 2009 at 1:44 AM
    dannyd1972

dannyd1972 Active Member

Member:
    Nashville,TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Magnetic Gray
    Oh yeah I agree with you about the poor quality, and I have already checked the fade and balance controls. This is how is was able to isolate those rediculous sounding overhead speakers in the headliner. My rear doors do not have the pre-form plastic grills on the panels as do the pics in Mavericks install, which leads me to believe either a: Toyota opted for the overhead speakers for '09, or b: only the JBL "premium" system has the rear speakers in the access doors. Either way..I'm not trying to pull of the rear door panel just to see if the wiring harness is there until I know for certain.

19. Feb 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    It would be option A, too expensive to make special doors just for the speakers.

20. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    Major

Major Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2009 V-6 Tacoma Crew TRD off-road
    Husky Liners, Predator Running Boards, Undercover, TRD air filter, TRD front skid plate, TRD front brake pads, tint, TRD bed mat, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, chrome grill cover
    Thinking of replacing my stock speakers in my 09 (stock 6 disc - non JBL) as I want better sound quality but do not need really loud volume. This looks like the project for me. Sounds like the speaker upgrade shown here would give me exactly what I am looking for. One question though, I can get some stock JBL door speakers (complete set) out of an 08 for the money and was wondering if this might give me a similar quality to what is described here? Also, anyone know if the plug -ins are the same for the JBLs as the stock speakers so it could be plug and play? Thanks

To Top