1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY - Build and install a Bussmann RTMR Fuse/Relay Block

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tacozord, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Sep 12, 2018 at 11:04 AM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Probably a flasher relay. It says delay relay but no time spec. Since there are timer relays in the bosche style I Guess there's hope to find them in the 280. Or maybe the delay time is controlled on the switch side of the relay. Please let us know what you find.

Edit- Did a search of "accessory delay relay" and found that it's a type used to allow dome lights and such to work after ignition off for a specific period so try searching for one that has the specific on-time you need along with the minimum current you need as well. You might need to look at relay part numbers to find the spec for delay time. If there's no such animal it might be simply a relay that lets the cpu or module control off-time with its internal clock.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Sep 12, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    Thanks for that bit of info! I'll definitely post here if I find anything definitive. My current plan of attack is to research vehicles that use that size relay as a starting point.

3. Sep 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM
    Boomer3731

Boomer3731 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Sport
    Thanks for all the insight in this thread.

I just finished up my Bussmann install a few days ago. I used the Pelfreybilt bracket. After really struggling (and failing) to try to use some hex head bolts I had from the Cali Raised relay holder, I ended up buying a couple of M8-1.25 mini-headed flanged bolts to mount the Pelfreybilt bracket. It is difficult to reach a wrench under it but with the flanged bolts I used a ratcheting box end wrench with a flex-head and it wasn't too bad.

I bought this pre-wired Bussmann on Ebay. Quality was good.

I also found all of the harnesses, terminals, crimp tools, etc. on Amazon. There are a lot of items in lower quantities there instead of spending big money getting large numbers from Waytek.

I used these Weatherpack connectors mostly.

I still have some tidying up to do with some grounds, and I plan on moving the large-gauge 12v cable for my winch to the second breaker on the bracket.

Zs8mwMCNdXIUvcTJ6eD514v8uYqEpKms_1t4HZMG_dff470c014b4f00827a88d2d35148c7f521c180a.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Parker315 and tacozord[OP] like this.
  4. Nov 8, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    kdmport

kdmport New Member

Member:
    Old thread I know, but I joined this forum just to reply to the OP.

This is the most impressive write-up I have seen. The text is great, the pictures are very well done, the part sources are appreciated, the spacing is perfect, tools are listed, sequence, options, on, and on. Very well done sir.

Bussman, Delphi, and others should be thanking you for such a well done tutorial. I thank you.

5. Nov 8, 2018 at 3:09 PM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Now that you have joined, hang out, stay awhile. Look around, see if you find anything else interesting! :cool: :thumbsup:

tacozord[OP] and PzTank like this.
  6. Nov 8, 2018 at 8:31 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Old threads or new, information is where you find it. Many old threads are still current.

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 9, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Welcome! I agree!!
    To get someone’s attention here, you need to flag them w an @.

Example,
    Hey @tacozord , did you see this post by @kdmport ?
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...fuse-relay-block.399454/page-35#post-19098272

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  8. Nov 12, 2018 at 4:48 PM
    tacozord

tacozord [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Icon suspension, ARB front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Warn 9.5-XP winch, Demello Offroad sliders
    PzTank[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    Icon suspension, ARB front bumper, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, Warn 9.5-XP winch, Demello Offroad sliders
    Thank you for the compliment! Cheers! :cheers:

kdmport[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Nov 14, 2018 at 10:19 PM
    MAC_Taco

MAC_Taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    One word - EPIC. Thank you for all the hours of work it took just to post an awesome post. The photography alone is to drool over. Fine work Sir!!

Thanks for making TW great!

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 15, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    Big Brutus

Big Brutus Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport
    Awesome write up! Sub’d For later!

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  12. Nov 15, 2018 at 6:50 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    You’re most welcome! It was a fun project to build, photograph, and write. If it helped you in any way, then hell yes!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Area51Runner and ScottyR like this.
  13. Nov 15, 2018 at 9:04 PM
    bagleboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Simply the single most useful thread for me since the majority of my mods involve wiring at one point or another. It opens doors.

14. Nov 15, 2018 at 9:26 PM
    tacozord

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4wd SR5
    I think that was my hope. Not necessarily to show how to do it exactly
    But To show one way and then expand from there. Again...so glad to be of help!

Area51Runner likes this.
  15. Nov 17, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    bikesinmud

bikesinmud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Are their any places to buy a pre cut mounting tray? I don't have the tools to fabricate or cut a blank tray.

I have a '16 OR manual and there are lots of places to put the switches on the dash. Was going to go SPOD, but this will look so much cleaner and I like projects!!!! Thanks for all the detail and pics in this thread, I'm going to begin building my own. Need to have power for my air compressor, driving lights, ditch lights, roof lights, box lights, rocker panel lights, under hood lights, power to the fridge and should have some extras to hook up a Ham, iPad, stereo upgrades etc!!!

16. Nov 17, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    I know there are at least 1-2 members that make trays. I just don't remember the usernames. There's also a company called Power Trays that makes them.

17. Nov 17, 2018 at 4:18 PM
    Radarninja

Radarninja Safety 3rd

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    06 taco
    Chromed out radiator cap
    5E4F821F-C364-465E-8271-EFB11E23E36A.jpg I followed this thread and made one myself!
    Thank you for all the effort!

18. Nov 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Subbed.

tacozord[OP] likes this.
  19. Nov 24, 2018 at 5:58 AM
    bikesinmud

bikesinmud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Continuing to source parts for my build. I've a question about the switches I'd like to use. On the first page of this amazing thread, OP is using switches with 5 pins on the back and wiring them as follows to link them together:[​IMG]
    My first choice for switches are the Air On Board because the blue lighting is very similar to OEM. Second choice is the small CH4x4 switches, to be installed on my MESO panel. Both of these come with their own 4 wire harness. Is there a way to link these 4 wire AOB or CH4x4 together with a similar set up as the OP did, rather than running 4 wires per switch x 6 switches through the firewall to the Bussmann?

20. Nov 24, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Wiring the OE style aftermarket switches would be nearly the same as described in the tutorial. The green wires on the switch connectors would be daisy chained back to a single fuse tap (add-a-fuse) under the dash. The relay trigger wires would connect to the red1 wires. The red2 wires would be daisy chained back to a fuse tap on the tail light fuse under the dash. The black wires would daisy chain to the ground in the switch harness that runs through the firewall to the ground bus.

Products Discussed in

To Top