1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY - CHEAP BEEP on lock

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Johnson8537, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Apr 25, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Ok guys so i finally got around to making a BEEP when locking the doors.

This DIY will cost you about $7.50 (if you have a few conectors and wire laying around.) If not 15.00 MAX

So start by taking out the coin tray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next Locate the Blue with Pink Wire. (this gets 12v when you LOCK the vehicle.)
    It is the Top left Wire that you are after BLUE/PINK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran a wire through the firewall using a stiff wire to first poke a hole and then pull the wire through. (I used a red wire)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the wire pulled through.
    [​IMG]

Attach all the wires to the Peizo Buzzer
    (Red to the Signal Wire from the BLUE/PINK wire.) I used a scotch clip to attach the signal wire.
    [​IMG]

Next the Black wire to a ground. (I used a self drilling screw and attached mine directly to the fender.)

[​IMG]

I used double sided sticky tape to attach the Buzzer.
    [​IMG]

There it is You are DONE... Under 20 Mins and you have a BEEP!
    If you read this hole DIY you could have already had this done!!

(yes it will beep with the truck running as well. Only downside to this mod.) But I like it better than attaching into a turnsignal and having to flip a switch when you want to use your hazzards without a beep and the car off (Moerse version). And a third of the price!
    You can make a donation to your favorite charity with all the $$ you saved! (or paypal ME!! :) )

Part Number and receipt.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Apr 25, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    thebigk

thebigk 6 Double 5 3 2 1

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken....
    Odessa, TX
    Nice write up and great documentation!

1 question.....could you not have used the factory horn or another car horn instead of the piezo?

3. Apr 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    Good DIY rep comin your way :thumbsup:

4. Apr 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    TEX357

TEX357 TX

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TACOMA
    285\70-17 BFGoodrich KM2's 17x8 Pro Comp 7089
    Good Write up! Excellent Pictures!!! :thumbsup:

5. Apr 25, 2009 at 11:07 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    im wondering the same thing!

6. Apr 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    Nice write up :thumbsup:

7. Apr 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    i think i'm gonna do it. Didn't someone else do something similar earlier?

8. Apr 26, 2009 at 7:58 AM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I am sure you could however you would have to put in a diode so that the 12V signal when using your horn would not LOCK YOUR DOORS.
    If you used another horn it would also work however i would use a relay to make sure you are taking power from the battery not the 12v signal which i might do soon. (add in a relay.) The peizo was cheap! and easy to mount. gives the Factory sound high pitch beep.

(If we have dual horns you could disconnect one and just use one for the "BEEP" and one for the Horn. if you wanted?)

9. Apr 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:

THANKS... Gotta Love the REP!! Trying to get more than one green dot!!

10. Apr 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    hey man, find the other wire there and you can run two piezos in parallel because the current will come in as +12vdc when locking and -12vdc when unlocking. See my sig.

Edit: its the blue black wire there. Also, good job on finding it inside the dash, I just went through the door. All in all we did the same thing haha. Great minds thing alike. All the other methods involve using the hazard lights.

11. Apr 26, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    The other wire is the Blue/Black for unlock. (I chose to only have one Peizo for Lock)...but yes I guess i should have clarified.. the other wire could be ran and used for unlock.
    (however if it were me i would use the one on the passenger side so it only beeped when ALL doors were unlocked!) Not a single beep for both lock and unlock of the drivers door and Double for unlock All doors.

I had not searched when i did this.. ( I have not been on here since December. Been really busy and back then when i asked no one had tackeled it.) If you wanted to make this so no Audible happened when the lock unlock buttons are hit you could easily wire in a switch and have it under the dash.

Maybe a smart guy who understands relays more than I do would use a keyed + to open the relay and run the signal wire to the ground wire of teh peizo? that should "unground it" so to speak making the peizo only work with the Tacoma OFF

Any elecrical guros on here confim that??

12. Apr 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    09TRD

09TRD it is what it is

Member:
    Oakwood GA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Not yet,
    Great write up but, be careful what you ask for. Mine drives me crazy sometimes. lol

13. Apr 26, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    Good idea in theory, not sure if it would work though. I don't have the best understanding of relays but i'll check this with one of my extra relays lying around and see if it works.

14. Apr 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    so when you use the hazards in this mod, it wont beep every time the lights flash, right?

15. Apr 26, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
  16. Apr 26, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
  17. May 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Just got done doing mine. My local Radio Shack charged me $9.49 plus tax.

IT WORKS GREAT !!!!!!! :D

One thing I did a little different was I cut the black tape back on the factory harness to make the splice in the dash a bit easier to do. Other than that everything else was identical.

The hardest part was getting the wire thru the firewall.

Rep comin your way bro.

Thanks.

18. May 1, 2009 at 5:53 PM
    Johnson8537

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Glad it works!!

19. May 1, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Did it on mine too. I just have it set to beep when it locks.

20. May 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    how do you set it to only beep then?

Products Discussed in

To Top