1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Front Brake Pad Change.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by badguybuster, May 20, 2009.

1. Sep 12, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    You should add "Do this at own risk"

A close friend of mine was a head Toyota mechanic. He showed me brakes that have been screwed up this way. Mind you, as I said, I have done it too, but I may have been lucky. Is saving 10 to 20 mins worth $1200.00?

2. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    parfleet

parfleet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner, SR5 Package, 4.0 Engin
    Front Bush Guard with 100 Watt Driving Lights, Color Match Tonel Cover. Cold Air Intake By True Flow,added an additional 26 HP.
    Greetings From ParFleet in Pensacola, FL.

I replaced my front pads this morning on my 05 Tacoma Crew Cab, Long Bed, SR5. I just wanted you to know that your instructions proved to be extremely important and yes, in your own words, "it was the damn easiest brake job I have done." I didn't know that the PreRunner had 4 caliper pistons (2 inside and 2 outside). Once I removed the pads, I just took the handle from and 8" adjustable wrench and the handle from a 3/8" drive ratchet, wrapped them both in a rag individuallly and pushed in the two inside pistons first and the two outside pistons last. I pushed with the new pads with ease. I then mounted new hardware that came with the pads "AutoZone CMAX". I never did bleed the brakes and and now my Tacoma will stop on a dime. The rotors looked fine.

Thanks again!

ds46000 likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2009 at 11:34 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    So you were able to push in the pistons without opening the bleeder valve?

4. Sep 14, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    parfleet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:
    Front Bush Guard with 100 Watt Driving Lights, Color Match Tonel Cover. Cold Air Intake By True Flow,added an additional 26 HP.

Yes I was! Once I removed the clips that secure the caliper pins that go from one side of the caliper to the other that secure the pad in the caliper and then I removed the pads. I pushed the pistons on the inside of the caliper with a rag wrapped around the handle of an adjustable wrench and a socket ratchet handle and then I pushed in the pistons on the outer side of the caliper. New pads went right end and I secured then with the pins I had removed eariler with new "hairpin" clips that came with the new pads and also a new retainer spring that came with the new pads.

Very easy job to do brakes on for sure!

5. Sep 14, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    What kind of mileage are you all seeing with your stock brakes?

6. Sep 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    coma09

coma09 Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    By the time you get to replacing pads, it's likely time to flush the brake fluid anyway. ie, new fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, and bleed till you need to add some more (don't bleed it dry).
    Re greasing pads ... I put a thin film where the pads' backing plate rubs on the caliper groove. Also clean and re-grease the slider pins. Have had corrosion on 'em more than I'd expect. And .... were talking high temp grease for these spots.
    Good job .... just saved yourself a bundle for an easy hour or 2.

7. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:20 AM
    parfleet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rex
    Pensacola, FL.
    Vehicle:

I got 52000 on the original pads. I called a local toyota Dealership and I was told that as general rule, their shop doesn't replace (do a complete flush) of the brake system. Reason? Brake Issues Will Develop. At least, they is their experience.

Did I bleed my breakes? No, and my brakes work fine. I just pushed to pistons in. There are two inner and two outer pistons on the PreRunner and TRD.

Easiest break job I have ever done.

8. Sep 17, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    RANIERY

RANIERY New Member

Member:
    I GOT 70000+ on my first set of brakes

9. Sep 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The grease goes on the back of the pads, not the rotor contact surface. It also keeps them from squealing due to excessive brake dust.

10. Sep 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    what kind of grease goes in the back of brake pads?

11. Sep 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thanks for writing up the DIY and the photos. I read it several times and having never before changed my brakes I was a bit confused.

I found this video which shows a demonstration which made it look incredibly easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKm9ShxY4E

I also found another video which describes in detail about what happens when you compress the piston and one way to do it. It also describes why you shouldn't add brake fluid to the system, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOkbcAdw0Es

12. Sep 26, 2009 at 1:56 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Nice find !

13. Oct 4, 2009 at 7:08 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    Sewell, NJ Eh!
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    if my rotor is in good condition, do i need to put in new rotor or resurface when putting in new pads? do I also need to bleed the brake when putting new pads in? thanks folks!

14. Oct 4, 2009 at 7:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Generally, if the rotor is not scored in any way, you should be fine.

15. Oct 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    T0y0ta05

T0y0ta05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Sport DC Tacoma
    Bone stock other than new floor mats.
    I always thought it was important to at least have the rotors measured to ensure they are still thick enough to dissipate heat? I'm not sure I would depend on a visual to confrim that aspect. Otherwsie, I tend to agree and have had good luck getting at least two brake pad changes on the same rotor given normal wear/tear. Just my 2 cents. :D

16. Oct 12, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    This is an excellent write up just wanted to add a few notes if you don't mind.
    This procedure is what most mech's call a pad slap because you are slapping new pads in.
    To answer the above question yes a new surface on the rotor greatly speeds up the breakin process and turning the rotors is cheap but if you have no issues such as pulsing or chattering its also a why?. I highly recommend you give a little extra stopping distance for the first week if you do this procedure.
    One thing not mentioned and needs to be addressed is the pins. Pull them all the way out and clean them with emery cloth or fine sand paper and lightly grease them before you put them back though(this means a light surface coat NOT covered and dripping). The pins will cause uneven wear if they are not cleaned up of the scuzz.
    Also pay very close attention to where the little metal tab is on each pad and use the right one. They are different! Also try to keep the pad surface clean nothing should be on the side that contacts the rotor.
    I have never popped the bleeder to do the brake jobs and yes I have done way too many to count. On my personal vehicles I get two large screw drivers and push both sides back at the same time takes about 1 minute because I push slow, no need to force things and I am good to go I do as described in the first post. I understand the way of caution but if you manage with a screw driver to scratch the rotor enough to feel under braking you did something way wrong.(think of this: if you could feel a minor scratch then drilled slotted rotors would be a nightmare).
    DO NOT SKIP THE NEXT STEP!
    Once you feel you are done make sure you pump the brakes till you feel a solid pedal after each side this helps keep spilled fluid to a minimum and also helps keep you from backing out with no brake pedal. (don't laugh I have seen it done many times and the panic look is priceless).

Be sure to include a rear brake adjust.
    That is easy as well:chock the front wheels then lift both rear wheels off the ground and put her in neutral parking brake off
    pull the rubber plug in the center of the backing plate and with a medium screw driver ratchet the star wheel up until the brakes start to make a noise then a little more till they just start to drag and the wheel does not go completely around when pushed. put the plug in and repeat for the other side. Note this will also make the e-brake tight again.

Last thing if you do want to use the bleeder screws the correct size is 8mm an adjustable will just cause problems later.

Trowbocop likes this.
  17. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:11 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Great info. I'm only at 15K miles but I look forward to changing to ceramic pads that generate less dust.

Anyway, I always thought most newer vehicles required new rotors with the new pads. I thought the days of cutting rotors was gone. At least that's how it was for our Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute.
    Glad to hear that the Toyota rotors have a durable and longer lifespan - maybe the life of the truck?!?!

18. Oct 18, 2009 at 10:46 AM
    BR2008

BR2008 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    cumming, ga
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SB TRD OffRoad
    I have a 2008 PreRunner short bed double cab with 80,000 miles. Yeah, I know, but it is my office and that's why this is my second, 2nd gen Tacoma. I replaced the front pads and was unaware that you didn't need to remove the cailpers until it was too late and I damaged the face seal (a square cut "o" ring approximately 1/2-inch in diameter). The local Toyota dealer, (Atlanta area) has none in stock and will have to drop ship a complete caliper seal set to me from Cali. I placed a correct sized temporary "o" ring into position to await the arrival of the caliper set but now the pedal goes all the way to the floor and stopping power is minimal. Is there a trick to bleeding the system that has not been mentioned here? I can't let the vehicle sit for 4 days until the parts arrive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

19. Oct 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    M2M

M2M Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    bilstiens, sport 08 w/o scoop, debadged
    I am simply amazed at what I'm getting for brake pad life - the big qualifier is that I do a loooooooot of freeway driving in my job -
    ! just passed 50,500 and my pads are at 75 %
    with that said - we did change all gear boxes (including the Transmission) -
    my mechanic advised that even though the transmission is sealed and the manual says 100k for the first service, that because of all the freeway driving, I should really change at 50 k -
    the front transfer case oil did have some metal shaving in it ?!

20. Oct 25, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    well you are doing a lot of highway driving, which highway driving = less braking.

I was going to change out my pads two nights ago, then realized the dude at Toyota sold me the wrong pads. The part number on both are the EXACT, but what gives? And basically I know how the entire brake system works now, I had a piston pop out and basically had to rebuild it. It sucked, but now I know.

Products Discussed in

To Top