1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mountain lion, Jan 5, 2010.

1. May 20, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
  2. May 20, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    Z E R 0

Z E R 0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4
  3. May 21, 2015 at 1:07 AM
    Chuy

Chuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lakeside, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 DCLB 4X4 Sport
    Silver Taco
    Finally got around to flushing the trany a second time, at 132K, using the little pump I mentioned in post 303. Also did a filter change but it leaked. Turns out the Beck/Arnley gasket (044-0345) is thinner than OEM - 1.75mm vs 2.20mm. I doubled them up to avoid removing the pan a third time. Did a 50-mile test run and it's currently leak-free.

To ZERO, I drained 2qts from the drain plug on a cold engine (75 degrees ambient), then drained another 2qts after removing the pan and filter. Because of the indentation inside the pan for the drain plug, the higher you left the front end, the more you'll drain out.

4. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:16 PM
    Silverbear

Silverbear Active Member

Member:
    Auburn WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab
    AAL 5100 Billys Fog Light mod
    I have a scangauge II and have programmed in the TFT (transmission fluid Temperature) It certainly registers as if it's working. Like getting hotter going up a pass with a load. However does anyone know if it's ok to use for determining the right temperature for a fluid level check?

5. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    Although you probably could, I wouldn't unless you know which sensor the Ecu uses for temp check mode.

6. Jun 15, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    what kind of temps are you seeing?

I don't have a scangauge, but I have a bluetooth obd and torque app and that's how I did my trans flush

7. Jun 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    satcom221

satcom221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kingston, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Celestial Silver Double Cab SR5 4x4 SB
    VLEDS V tail conversion, gas cap holder
    So which line was the pressure line from the tranny? Upper or lower?

8. Jun 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I don't remember, I think it was the lower, but don't quote me on it.

9. Jun 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM
    07 sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    It goes into the top of the radiator from the trans and returns/ goes through aux cooler from the bottom. I think the non towing package trucks don't have a cooler and just return to the trans from the outlet at the bottom of the radiator.

10. Jun 28, 2015 at 7:34 PM
    satcom221

satcom221 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kingston, WA
    Vehicle:
    2023 Celestial Silver Double Cab SR5 4x4 SB
    VLEDS V tail conversion, gas cap holder
    With the tow package, it's the lower one. I did my flush today at 109,500 miles. Having towed a travel trailer about 10,000 miles and lived in Texas for 4 years I expected very dirty fluid. It needed to be changed. I pulled the grill to gain access to tranny cooler lines - made it simple. I cut the nozzle off a one gallon sprayer and connected it to the upper line. I started by filling the sprayer with a gallon of fluid. I drained the tranny, put drain plug on and torqued. Then I poured that into the empty gallon container. I filled 3 quarts with sprayer and started truck to pump out about 3 quarts. Emptied the catch container and repeated until 3 gallons pulled and 3 gallons plus 2/3 quarts pumped in. The last few quarts coming out looked close to the color of fresh. Put truck in temp mode, drained off about 1/2 quart when it reached the right temp.

I'm moving to Washington and will be towing the camper and boat all over. This is pretty simple and I don't see any reason not to do this every 30k-50k. $70 with fluid and washers and an hour of my time for a smooth running transmission.

slcsez2000 and Crom[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jul 8, 2015 at 9:45 PM
    Silverbear

Silverbear Active Member

Member:
    Auburn WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab
    AAL 5100 Billys Fog Light mod
    Finally got around to flushing the ATF. Flushed it with 1 gallon then filled with 1 gallon. I also installed a B&M cooler right next to the factory cooler. I tow over the Cascade pass so I feel it needs to stay cool. The fluid check only let out about one cup of fluid. Thanks for all the posts and references.

12. Jul 9, 2015 at 6:51 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Good job! Got any pics of your new cooler?

13. Aug 10, 2015 at 3:23 AM
    johng34

johng34 Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2006-4x4 5sp 6.1ft bed
    Awesome write-up, EXCELLENT pictures. I REALLY appreciate the help.:thumbsup:

I'm in the middle of doing this, couldn't do what I wanted all in one swoop, life keeps getting in the way.
    I bought my Taco with 110k miles on it, and have systematically been changing ALL the fluids. I opted to drop the pan and change the filter and clean the magnets/pan. BE VERY CAREFUL, I snapped three of the 20 bolts that hold on the pan (6mm x 1.0 x 16mm), drilled center but couldn't get them out with an extractor. Ended up drilling them and re-tapping. Had to elongate one hole in the pan as one re-tap wasn't centered. WHAT A PAIN.!!!!! Turns out when all is assembled there's a hole from the top side, at the end of the bolt threads, just to ensure you catch the rain/snow/salt/dirt so that the bolts can get nice and corroded!!!! When I put the bolts back I bought grade 8 bolts, as the ones that were in there certainly didn't take much force to snap. Put anti-seize all over them and filled in the end of the bolt holes, from the top, with RTV. Now, no GD rain/snow/salt/dirt is getting to these puppies.

I made another BIG MISTAKE, being in a hurry, I removed the overflow plug WITH THE ENGINE OFF. DON'T DO THIS, about 1.5qt came out and the truck was shifting very badly. About to go under it now and correct that STUPID brain fart right now.

Thanks again for an EXCELLENT write up.

John
    Hollis, NH

14. Aug 10, 2015 at 4:23 AM
    johng34

johng34 Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2006-4x4 5sp 6.1ft bed
  15. Aug 10, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Thanks for the note about the bolt hole corrosion issue. I've discovered a few corrosion traps in the Tacoma too.

Good job on your work, and thanks for taking the time to write it up!

16. Aug 11, 2015 at 4:18 AM
    johng34

johng34 Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2006-4x4 5sp 6.1ft bed
    Further update.
    After I opened the transmission overflow drain plug WITH THE ENGINE OFF (NEVER DO THIS) I had to add back in the 1.5qts that came out with the engine off. Let it warm up, engine running this time, opened overflow plug. Nothing came out. Waited for it to cool so I could add more. Added just over a quart (because I had no idea how close I was and didn't want to spend the rest of the summer doing this, thank you Toyota-No-Dip-Stick). This time when I did the OBD2 jumper the "A/T Oil Temp" light would come on after the sixth shift AND NOT GO OFF, shifted to park, again IT WOULD NOT GO OFF. Turns out this is an indication I OVERFILLED the transmission. Waited approx. 18 minutes (ambient air temp 75deg F) and it started to flicker, then instead of staying on it blinked at a very repetitive rate, like every 1/2 second. I removed the overflow plug and about 1/2 qt came out. I'll verify tonight the "A/T Oil Temp" works the normal way when the fluid level is close to correct. (mine should be spot on at this point).

John G
    Hollis NH

17. Aug 11, 2015 at 7:38 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    I think your repeating blink means "over temp".

I just did this today. Bought 4 gallons of MaxLife. 1 Harbor Freight pump. And off I went. Pump worked flawlessly (don't forget the two collars where the tubes stick into the pump). I disconnected the line going to the secondary transmission cooler (easier to get to), connected 1/2" tubing to it and away I went. Start to finish was about an hour. Took a couple of attempts to get the A/T temp light to come on, and it took less than 10 mins of idling to come on solid. Fluid not _that_ bad but it was definitely brown compared to the red of the maxlife.

Initial drain netted 2 quarts. Pumped 3 quarts back in, and then drained 3 at a time. Have about 1 qt left over. It was overfilled and I drained about 2 quarts when I pulled the overflow plug. No particular shifting behavior change, but none was expected since it was running fine at 108K miles. Just a PM exercise.

BTW, had a chance to help disassemble one of these trannys. A couple of things I noticed. (1) if you run a quart low, you will likely have issues since that is going to aerate the oil as the pan runs dry repeatedly, getting air into the fluid. Likely will cause slippage in the TC since it wants pure oil, not whipped cream. (2) if you run a quart over, I don't think there will be any problem. Looks like at about 1.5 quarts over you get enough oil in the tranny to get oil up into the spinning gears, which leads to aeration again, and you might well see TC slippage this way as well. I suspect an extra 1/2 quart is good insurance. But once it hits the gears, it will certainly foam up. Not necessarily bad in some cases (take a Mercury 2.5L racing motor, run it at 7500 RPM down the river, then pull the plug and look at the lower unit oil. Looks like cream. Let it sit an hour and it is back to normal oil. Not bad when you are just immersing a pinion and drive gear to keep them cool/lubricated. But not so good in a torque converter.

Max life was $16+ at WallyWorld. Pump on sale at Harbor Freight. < $75 for everything. Found the clear 1/2" tubing at Home Depot and had enough so I could put a gallon jug marked at 1/2/3/4 quart points right outside the driver's door where I could watch and shut down when it reached 3 quarts. Only annoying thing is getting out, on ground, pumping 3 quarts, back in, run engine for < 30 seconds, pour old oil into big jug, and repeat until 15 quarts pumped in (5 cycles of pumping in)...

Amazingly, no mess. But wife said it smelled like $hit... I reminded her of a burnt roast a few years ago and that discussion ended quickly. :)

Biscuits, R0dzilla75 and Crom like this.
  18. Aug 11, 2015 at 7:45 PM
    DukesTaco

DukesTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Double cab Pre Runner
    Lmao at burnt roast comeback :rofl:

2WD likes this.
  19. Aug 11, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    x2 hilarious

20. Aug 12, 2015 at 4:00 AM
    johng34

johng34 Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2006-4x4 5sp 6.1ft bed
    FYI, I didn't see myself using a pump to put the tranny oil back in. I hooked up a funnel with clear tubing. Used electrical tape to ensure good connection between the funnel and tube. Used electrical tape to secure funnel/tube to the passenger side view mirror. Ran tube down and under and back up to the tranny fill hole. Secured the tube under the car in a couple of places using plastic zip ties. Worked great. Probably had a tube that was 5/16" ID, a little slow, but me thinks a lot better than on my back pumping a little bottle. Next time might go with a larger ID tube.

Lester Lugnut likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top