1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Qi Charging Magnetic Phone FrankenMount (iPhone)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by gpb, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:39 PM
    gpb

gpb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Update 6 Sep 2019:
    Since the following, I ended up moving to a Speck Presidio Mount case with Magic Mount Qi charger for my iphone Xs.

https://www.speckproducts.com/apple/iphone-cases/iphone-x-cases/presidio-mount-iphone-x-cases/IPX-PR-MNT-MMC.html

Update 30 Nov 2018:

Hey folks. So I finally did a phone upgrade to an iphone Xs after two years with the iphone 7.

First thing I ordered was the corresponding Nillkin case for the Xs. Link

I can't really recommend it at this point. :(

Two problems I've noted so far this week:
    1. One of the four magnets in the case interferes with magnetic compass in the iphone Xs. It's the one on the bottom of the volume-controls side. Easy enough to do... but that inherently cuts 1/4 of the mount's ability to hold onto the phone.
    2. When using Waze and streaming music on a two hour drive last night, the phone didn't hold charge. Charge indicator was on, but battery slowly crept down.

I will be seeking a new solution and will follow up at that time.

Original Post:
    I appreciate the patience y’all have had with my teasers in the past weeks. I finally made time to write up my iPhone magnetic mount with Qi wireless charging.

Functionality is really nice. When I get in the truck I just set the phone on the mount and it’ll start charging. When I get out I grab it and go. No clutter or mess. At home and at work I have a couple Qi charger pads sitting my desk, in the kitchen, and on the dresser. Since I already was setting the phone down in those places and had a charger & cable at each, I just put a Qi pad and set the phone on that instead. I very rarely use the lightning port on my phone for anything but charging, so this system works well for me. YMMV.

The magnetic strength is pretty good; I’ve never had the phone pop off unless I clumsily knocked it off the mount while reaching for something. Probably won’t handle heavy bouncy offroading, but you have other things to pay attention to at that point… :)

The parts I used:
    Nillkin Magnetic Qi Charger Case for iPhone 7: https://www.amazon.com/Nillkin-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Compatible/dp/B01M346Q8T

Nillkin Magnetic Vent Mount Qi Charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCL9E2H

Scosche Magic Mount Magnetic Dash Mount: https://www.amazon.com/Scosche-MAGDMB-MagicMount-Magnetic-Devices/dp/B00I608BJ8

Choose your favorite microUSB cable and 1.5A or better 5VDC source. I used a right-angle cable and small dual-port charger. I’ll probably hardwire the power source but haven’t done so yet. (they sent the wrong thing when I ordered one and I’ve not yet re-ordered what I want.

My cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012S11KV6/

Aux power adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DHQJQU
    (Edit: apparently this is now pointing to a different product, I don't know a correct link, sorry)

Obviously if you don’t have an iPhone 7 you’d choose the appropriate case for the phone you do have. The Nillkin case has magnets that match up with the mount, so be cautious how far afield you go in choosing a case.

Playing Dr. Frankenstein (what knockers!)

To begin with disassemble the Scosche mount and the Nillkin mounts. The rubber on the Scosche just pops off exposing four magnets and a screw-on metal plate. Grab the magnets and set aside, remove the screw and plate. Retain the screw. Pull/pry the rubber vent piece off the Nillkin mount to expose the metal prongs, then unscrew from the body. With a small screwdriver remove the four rubber plugs exposing the four screws needed to disassemble the thing. Do so, keeping track of the screws.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not wanting four good magnets to go to waste, I re-used them. They’ll fit in the mount as shown, using a bit of JB Weld to hold them in place. Be sure to orient them in the same direction as the existing magnets. Simple way is stick each of the Scosche magnets on the other four and mark the exposed side with a sharpie. That’s the side to keep up when you glue them down. Note the sharpie mark in the middle to remind me which direction was vertical on the mount so I didn’t put the magnets along the horizontal axis.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set this part aside.

[​IMG]

We’re going to use the long black screw from the Scosche mount to secure it to the Nillkin mount. On the Scosche mount trim the middle plastic nub as well as the two side nubs. The stick up too high to get a secure fitment. Insert the screw from inside the Nillkin casing through the middle hole and screw it into the Scosche mount. I aligned things so the USB connector would be to the left side and the Scosche stem angles upward. Once secure, apply a bead of JB Weld to the sides where the two meet. The screw is the primary support and the JB Weld just keeps it from turning or flexing. Just a little will do. I used toothpicks to apply.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did put a bit of gaffer tape over the interior screw head just in case. Electrical tape would be fine too, I used what was in reach. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wait for the JB Weld to cure...

Now reassemble everything paying attention to what goes where. Bench test it to ensure the phone will start charging. I’ve found this requires at least a 1.5A USB source; the existing USB jack in the truck won’t work. I simply bought a 2.4A per port two port charger and it’s been great. I’ll typically get 12-14% battery per 20 minutes on the mount. Not super speedy but with the other Qi pads I have around I’m rarely low anyway … and I can always just pull down the case connector and plug in to the other 2.4A port if I need to charge more quickly.

I’d previously mounted the Scosche to the left of the emergency flasher button and it’s worked well. Yes it occludes the 4WD dial but it’s pretty simple to remember how to work it without looking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cable routing

For a while I just had the cable in the way, but with other projects giving me reason to dig into the dash I did a cleaner routing. Other write-ups tell how to get into the panels so this part will be very high level. I’d already dropped the panel below the steering wheel and don’t remember if it’s required for removing the climate control panel.

You’ll need to pull off the trim panel around the radio (pulls straight off), then loosen the top two bolts for the radio and remove the lower two bolts. This loosens the radio enough you can lift it up enough to clear as you pull the climate control panel off straight. I notched the switch panel below large enough to accommodate my cable and let it slide in and out, then routed the cable behind the controls and to the passenger footwell and to the aux power adapter. If I’d had the right 12VDC to USB converter I’d have mounted that inside the panel and not routed back out. That’ll be a future date.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the panels just snap back together.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas,

GPB

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  2. Dec 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    subd.... this is a future project for sure. Thanks in advance for the write up.

gpb [OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 23, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    AddicTioN

AddicTioN diesel tech

Member:
    First Name:
    wyatt
    north carolina mountains
    Vehicle:
    17 QS TRD sport DC
    Great write up for sure Going to
    Order everything up and do this for sure.

gpb [OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 3, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    PHLinPHX

PHLinPHX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB w/ JBL Tech
    @gpb What are your thoughts on the actual phone case after a month or so of use? Looking for a good QI iphone case, but seems like most have so many mixed reviews.

5. Feb 3, 2017 at 6:47 AM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    @PHLinPHX I've had and used the phone case since Nov 22nd, so ten weeks or so. It just happened to take me a while to get the install posted up. :)

I remain very happy with the case and my iphone7. Works perfectly, haven't had a single issue with it. Note that I very very rarely ever use the lightning port; I play music via bluetooth or Airplay, and use a bluetooth for any calls I use a headset with.

At home and in the office I have a couple QI pads sitting in the spots where I was already setting my phone down and plugging it into a charger cord. Now I just set it down on the pad and don't bother with a cord. I've been quite happy with this model pad: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HM72QQY/

The charging mount in my truck is also still working great and I'm quite happy with it. I love the convenience of just setting my phone on the magnetic mount and never having to fiddle with a cable.

Since posting I did get the correct +12VDC to USB power adapter which I hardwired in behind the dash and connected up the mount's cable to it for a clean install. Power comes from the Aux Power #2 fuse tap so it's switched power as I wanted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6R9PCC

6. Feb 4, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    DOSS

DOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sport DBCB
    subd

7. Feb 5, 2017 at 9:23 PM
    Travis17

Travis17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Limited
    I tried the magnetic mount on a iPhone 6 Plus S and a Dreem case. But I started to have problems with certain apps and data probably as a result of the magnets on the memory chips in the phone.

8. Feb 6, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Nope. Whomever suggested that to you was clueless.

9. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    RIDERED67

RIDERED67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFFROAD QUICKSAND, DCLB, TECH
    Great work! I'm lazy though, why not make one for me?
    :D

10. Feb 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Glad you like it. Sure thing on making one for you: PM me your email so I can paypal invoice you. Total will be $245.

I figure it'll cost about $38 in parts & materials, $7 shipping, and $200 to make it worth me building one for you instead of doing the other stuff I'd rather be doing. :D

9TRDTCO and RIDERED67 like this.
  11. Feb 11, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    EagleUSMCRet

EagleUSMCRet Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 4x4 Tacoma DC Limited
    Scosche Magnetic Mount Qi charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with AVIC 8400 NEX Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger; LED interior light upgrades,magnet secure thingy, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, Pelfrey battery box, Optima Group 31 battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, Highway Holster, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount....help me I can't stop!!!
    I followed your instructions and it worked as you described to a "T". Very happy wit the results.
    Only issue I had was two non cooperating reuse Scoche magnets. Two went on just like you described... the other 2 would not stay in place no matter which way they were oriented. Thanks for the excellent instructions.

12. Feb 11, 2017 at 7:46 AM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Odd that the two magnets misbehaved but maybe its a matter of manufacturing tolerances or something?

Anyway, glad its working well for you @EagleUSMCRet - I've found it really enhances the convenience factor.

13. Mar 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    paradox4286

paradox4286 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDOR DCSB P/T JBL
    Your guide was excellent to follow. I did the same tonight in about an hour. I could've done it faster but I've never used JB Weld before and nearly stripped the center screw. Had to drill it out slightly to get it to fit.

I've ordered the hard wire kit and right angle cable. Plan to tuck the wires this weekend. [​IMG]

gpb [OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 22, 2017 at 6:31 PM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Looks great!

Apparently they've switched to a dark pad on the charger now, I like that better. Well done.

15. Mar 23, 2017 at 4:15 AM
    paradox4286

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDOR DCSB P/T JBL
    They had black and white color options if I remember correctly.

16. Mar 23, 2017 at 4:19 AM
    gpb

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: Only light gray was available when I ordered mine, options are good.

17. Mar 23, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    paradox4286

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    17 TRDOR DCSB P/T JBL
    Just checked Amazon again. I lied. No white. I do like the black. It doesn't grab attention. The only thing it grabs is my phone :D

18. May 29, 2017 at 1:28 AM
    harlequin_forest

harlequin_forest Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR 6MT
    Oh nice write up! Will definitely keep in mind!

gpb [OP] likes this.
  19. May 29, 2017 at 3:01 AM
    ffpdfirefighter2002

ffpdfirefighter2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Guam
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 MGM DCLB
    Westin HDX drop steps, painted stock Sport rims, Clazzio seat covers
    love the carbon fiber job on the dash trim, you do it yourself?

20. May 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM
    EagleUSMCRet

EagleUSMCRet Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM 4x4 Tacoma DC Limited
    Scosche Magnetic Mount Qi charger for iPhone; AVS Vent Visors; Replaced Entune system with AVIC 8400 NEX Head unit, The Taco Garage DMM for Qi charger; LED interior light upgrades,magnet secure thingy, ARE Z Cap w/ Yakima Rack, Front Bed Rail, Bed Rug, Tuffy Bed Lock Box, Add a leaf, Pop and Lock, Blendmount and mirror tap for radar detector, AVS Hoodflector, Redline Hood Gas Spring mod. A/C drain mod, Pelfrey battery box, Optima Group 31 battery, Debadged the tailgate, Compustar remote start, Highway Holster, USB charger for the rear seats, Husky Mats, Lexus Credit Card Transponder Fob, MAG Light mount, twin Hella Sharptone horns, Bedslide, Gasshole, Meso Fuze cover, TRD Gas cap cover, Passenger side locking door handle, Mr. Produxn license place mount....help me I can't stop!!!
    I followed the same excellent instructions... changed a bit... used a Ram ball mount with epoxy... and a Hondo Garage un-holey dash mount. IMG_2173.jpg

opentang and gpb [OP] like this.
To Top