1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 007Tacoma, Jul 7, 2007.

1. EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 T|X "Black Beauty" Baja 4x4
    WeatherTechs [Front & Back], Console Vault, OEM Toyota Bed Mat, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, Exterior Cargo Net, OEM Toyota Cargo Divider, Cobra CDR 840 Dash Cam, Sliding Rear Window Security Bar, Front OEM TRD License Plate Holder, OEM TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles Front & Back - 1/2 Piped, Full Debadge except TRD OEM Red Tailgate Badge, Organic Brown Chicken Egg Under My Accelerator
    Well after installing my AFE yesterday and comparing it to my OEM Denso Air Filter, I can see the difference. Yes the AFE will give better performance due to less air restriction, not a significant difference though. I mean, If I didn't know i had changed air filters, I wouldn't know - ya know?

I'm going back to OEM after I use this AFE for a while. The OEM Denso is literally 3 - 4 times thicker in my opinion. I'm looking the for best filtration, I'm not worried about performance, if I was, I wouldn't be driving a 2.7L or even a 4.0L 6 for that matter.

Conclusion - Stick with OEM Denso Air Filter. Thanks for the links. Good tests, I've been to BTOG's site a few years back. . . Bums me out about the Napa results. I did a ton of research after I bought my Tacoma regarding which Oil Filter to use and I came to the conclusion that the Napa Gold by WIX was the best / and easily available. . .

Not falling for the AMSoil hype anymore though. I've been using it since my truck was new. Just changed my oil on Sunday after 5700 miles - hate going that long but it was the first chance I've had to get to it - 5700 MILES - AMSOIL was JET BLACK. This is the AMSoil that claims 25k between Oil Changes - Well I'm calling BULLSHIT!

Done with it, switching to Mobil One, at least I'll save $2 / Quart.

2. Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    A lot of the perceived performance difference, especially with CAI units, it the noise.
    The engine sounds like it's making more power, and added power actually felt is mostly from the throttle being mashed a bit more.

Drive normally wearing a pair of earplugs and the difference won't be so pronounced, as you saw with the replacement filter in the OEM box.

3. Fryguy

Fryguy New Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD DC LB
    Rancho rs9000xl shocks & coil over quick lift, added a leaf on rear springs, k&n a/f, removed secondary charcoal a/f, raider topper, led lighting in box, led map/dome/console in back seat and front foot wells, led under hood lights, led parking lights, led dtr/signal, painted factory wheels black, aux jack from factory stereo, blacked out head light assembly, debadged tailgate, battery terminals in cubby of box, wireless back up camera, stainless cloud rider grill inserts painted black on reverse side, towing reciever added to front frame, anytime fog lights, rocker guard black nerf bars and skid plate, plasti dip badges black, black "taco" badge in hood scoop
    Going to do this right now!!

4. TacoTruckDriver

TacoTruckDriver New Member

Member:
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Factory Standard Taco
    Custom Bed Mat
    That filter has to eventually go bad. Are there any after market upper-air boxes? I have not been successful in finding any online that look like they fit.

5. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's not a filter, so it won't go bad.

It is a sack of activated charcoal pellets and it captures fuel vapors that come back out of the throttle body after the engine is shut down.
    When the engine is restarted, the fresh air pulls the captured hydrocarbons from the charcoal.

As long as the air filter is changed regularly and not replaced with an oiled element, the secondary mesh will last the life of three Tacomas, just like the charcoal canister in the evaporative control system on the fuel tank.

6. RedDead

RedDead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    bestop soft top, Trail Team Wheels,duratracs 265/75/16,bilsteins 5100's, eibach springs, toytec aal, asian driver
    if its sole purpose is to capture fuel vapors ..does anyone have an explanation on why removing it effects the 4cyc more than the v6?

7. worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    No, just a rumor with no backing.

8. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    It doesn't.

It's psychological, just like a CAI.

9. Cardiackid

Cardiackid New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    01 Toyota Tacoma Ext.SR5
    Magna Flow Exhaust, K&N Air Filter
    Installed KN air filter and replaced plugs @ 90K......increased mpg by 2-3 mpg.
    I also got great MPG when traveling to/from Moore, OK to CBUS,OH running 75+ mph with A/C running.....around 24 mpg.
    Go TACO!

10. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    If the 2-3mpg was actually accurate then your plugs must have been in really bad shape. The K&N has zero effect on mpg.

Well studied, under general non full throttle driving the throttle plate is way more restrictive than the air filter. Air filter isn't a restriction so can't effect fuel use.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/Air_Filter_Effects_02_26_2009.pdf

11. grueinthebox

grueinthebox Massive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Removed my charcoal filter today using the jhodge83 "grip 'n' rip" method. Tried briefly using a chisel to shave the posts down, decided "f that - I'm not putting the thing back on", got it done in about 5 minutes total. Cleaned the cosmoline crap the dealer had put on the engine plastics off while I was under the hood. Stuff's nasty.

Haven't taken it out for a real drive (just a couple of circles in the intersection moving it from street to driveway and vice-versa). Don't notice a big difference (if any) in sound, but the engine does rev considerably freer. Amazing what a little airflow can do. Held up the charcoal filter, could see a tiny bit of light through it at just the right angles but not much. Obviously not an insignificant restriction.

What did we ever do before the internets?

12. poggyg

poggyg Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2010 4x2
    great info.!!! noticeable improvement in output, possibly mileage also.

May I offer a suggestion on removal of 2nd filter?

Rather than drill the rivets, I sliced the filter with a knife (no need to save it!-allowing me access between housing and filter. Same simple knife easily cut plastic rivets!

MUST be done on the bench, for the reasons stated!!

Thanks again to all of you!!!:

13. ThrSitRep

ThrSitRep Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Puna, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    hilomoto.com
    Frantz bypass oil fiter
  14. mhendrixcap

mhendrixcap Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4WD TRD Sport V6
    Did this mod yesterday. I did the rip method. I used a small 90 degree flathead and pryed it enough to get my fingers in there, then just ripped it out. Came out clean with no plastic pieces. Took me all of 3 minutes to get it done. I haven't noticed any power increase, however I have noticed a slight better throttle response. Hope to see if it had any effect on MPG on the next fuel up.

15. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It will have zero affect on mpg.

16. Lonnie naquin

Lonnie naquin Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lonnie
    Lafayette, la
    Vehicle:
    11 PreRunner SR5
    Is there a charcoal filter on this model with a 4 cylinder???? Thanks!!!

17. worthywads

Member:
    Vehicle:
  18. robssol

robssol @$%#TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, ACLB
    Fog lights available in all flight modes, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, Plasti-dip rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder, consol, glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED hood lights by tacodane, Rampage 22" LED light bar, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod.
    I did this last week. I filled up yesterday mileage improved by .2 miles per gallon. I know... it's not a lot, and hardly definitive on one fillup. But I'll keep tracking my mileage. And it does have better throttle response. That alone is worth "the price of admission".

19. DonziGT230

DonziGT230 Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Oscar
    Hacienda Hts, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '07 base taco
    Factory cruise added, wood storage box in bed, wood center console/armrest, charcoal air filter delete.
    I pulled mine after reading a few posts about the huge changes in performance and economy, even some stating the truck sounded differently. I expected little or no change, but thought I'd try it anyway. Regardless I did some full throttle speed/distance tests before so I could have a good comparison after. I was not surprised by the results. No change in performance, noise, nor MPG. My speed tests were rolling start 20-65MPH acceleration on flat and climbing. I did several back to back runs with and without the secondary, no change. MPG average, no change. Sound, of course, no change. After a few weeks, in case it needed to 'get used to it', I redid the speed tests. Speed dropped just tiny bit, but humidity was up so that's probably it.
    Speed tests were done in 80-85 degree weather, full fuel tank, no cargo. The truck is stock with the factory air filter with 31k miles.
    It's been repeatedly proven that people's feel of a car will change based on sight, sound, and the knowledge that something's been done to "make it faster" and that will change their opinion of how it's running.
    For those who enjoy the fallacy of it being faster, pull it out anyway as there's no real harm as long as you don't screw up in the removal and cleanup process.

20. Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    ^^^^^^^^ What he said.

To Top