1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: Secondary Air Filter Removal

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by 007Tacoma, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Mar 4, 2022 at 5:09 AM
    jdmdom

jdmdom Well-Known Member

Member:
    APO, AE 09053
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD DCSB, 2009 TRD DCSB
    I will try to do this so maybe my millage will increase, I'm getting kind of tired of filling up twice a week.

Jetfixr likes this.
  2. Mar 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    it won't

Electrathon likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2022 at 7:03 AM
    TacoSteve556

TacoSteve556 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 2.7l Taco
    Stock
    Zero difference on my 2.7 '16.

davidstacoma likes this.
  4. Apr 7, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    too.poor.for.a.mechanic

too.poor.for.a.mechanic Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L Access Cab
    Relatively Stock
    https://youtu.be/XO5d4MqZu5I

Questions:
    1. Anybody know if this a reputable mod?
    2. Can/should it be done to the 2.7L?
    3. Other than preventative measures, will this add any performance to drivability and mgp?

Operxtor.exe likes this.
  5. Apr 11, 2022 at 8:29 AM
    JustDSM

JustDSM Oderint Dum Metuant

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ford Raptor
    While not exactly totally on topic, this isn't quite off topic either. Figured some folks here might find this interesting..

Recently we (Overland Tailor Tuning) took a bone stock 2014 Tacoma 4.0L Auto to the dyno to get some data and numbers for our tune. While here, I decided to see how restrictive the stock air filter was as I had some extra time available on my dyno. You can see the results of our tuning here if interested: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-dyno-testing-by-overland-tailor-tuning-ott.759616/

However, here's the chart showing how simply removing the OE Toyota air filter from the OE airbox (stock secondary remaining) affects the output of the truck. Same tune/same conditions.

[​IMG]

6. Apr 27, 2022 at 3:31 PM
    Doc76251

Doc76251 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACLB
    I'ma thinking I will do a progressive test (no I won't do a dyno) I have a long tube fold over header coming but I need gas and a weeks worth of mixed driving along with last weeks gas performance might be a cool start and then add the header. Or mebby run a new air filter (not K&N) for a tank then delete, then add header. Might be fun all I have seen is slight improvement at each step but cumulatively they can make a big (or at least a noticeable) difference.

Cheers,

Doc

7. May 5, 2022 at 9:13 AM
    06PRERunTRDBullet

06PRERunTRDBullet New Member

Member:
    '06' Dbl Cab 6' Longbed 2wd w/LSD Mobil 1 0W40 OEM Denso Plugs & Oil, Air, Cabin Filters 2ndary Air Filter Removal 93 Octane
    I know this thread was started a long time ago, however I wanted to point something out on the Secondary Air Filter removal. While removing the Carbon 2ndary filter is okay, I highly do not recommend de-screening the air inlet. That screen is not there to catch debris but rather to straighten out the airflow that passes through the MAF. If it is removed the intake air will form a vortex that will then trick the MAF and may create all sorts of drivability problems with the vehicle unless you get a special ECM tune for removing it, which in my opinion does not off enough gains to warrant a change. I know that aftermarket CAI's dont use a screen, however there have been documented issues that no one could pinpoint in doing so. Just my $.02

GilbertOz likes this.
  8. Jul 4, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    BlueT@com@4×4

BlueT@com@4×4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO Tacoma

Hi Justin, do you think you can override the code on ECU when I remove it completely this second air pump without trigger the engine light on?

9. Nov 11, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    BigRed22

BigRed22 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2022 White Access Cab Tacoma 3.5 2WD
    Only cosmetic so far, removed front air dam, removed running boards, removed splash gauards, added soft tonneau cover, a few dress up items on the interior.
    I'm new to the Tacoma family and have enjoyed reading many of the posts on TW. Following several individuals I also removed the secondary air filter in the air box, installed a TRD oiled high flow air filter and a K&N inlet tube in place of the stock resonated air tube. Also removed the engine cover. Not sure if it's the slightly louder intake noise but the truck seems to have a snappier response when I step on the loud pedal. I just received from Extreme Terrain my new Red Rock 3" side exhaust kit that should be going on in a few days. Hoping this adds something more than just noise. My 22 is a white access cab 2WD 3.5L. Also have Crosswind A/T tires 265/70-16 to get mounted on Sunday in place of the stock Firestone 245/75-16 tires. Have had the truck going on 1 year next month. Will post pics when the work is done.

10. Feb 24, 2024 at 1:28 PM
    Dustrider

Dustrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Ressurrecting this post after a long search to figure out what this secondary filter is all about. I found many videos on youtube about cleaning the MAF but no mention whatsoever about this secondary filter ,.
    No info found about a cleaning proceedure , vacuum ?
    BUT, since it has been recieving prefiltered air it probably will flow very well for 100's of 1000's before choking out
    I can see the pros and cons of removing the charcoal filter but I also recently found that to suggest removing charcoal secondary filter violates the rules of the forum . I suggest that no one should violate federal motor vehicle emissions standards by tampering with this secondary filter
    Once again, thank you for posting about what this mysterious unserviceable filter is doing glued in there

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
  11. Feb 24, 2024 at 1:38 PM
    Dustrider

Dustrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Hillsboro Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 4x4 2.7
    Excellent point , so in other words what you are saying is that removing the secondary filter will change the intake flow enough to affect fuel trim, and will not self adapt the fuel trim to an increased airflow rate because it is out of sync with the ECM program, out of parameters more than would occur from airflow changes from replacing a clogged air filter ?
    does "real world" testing support this ?
    or is it just " documented issues no one can pinpoint "
    "It could fail a comprehensive emissions inspection" would definitely be a documented issue
    Performance or fuel mileage would be another issue

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024

Products Discussed in

To Top