1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY - SmartStart Installation with DBALL2 Remote Start

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by gpb, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Jan 19, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    ratcityrain

ratcityrain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    Doesn't the blue and red connector on the dball carry power? I plan to disconnect the negative battery terminal, do you suggest to do both (battery & dball)?

2. Jan 19, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    gpb

gpb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    No, only the blue 14-pin connector powers the DBALL2. That is why the various instructions specify to connect it last. Similarly, you'd disconnect it first. The point is not to be connecting stuff up to the DBALL2 while it's powered.

So, you'd be fine just disconnecting the DBALL2 blue connector. Leave the red connector be.

My personal preference is to disconnect the battery before I do much messing around with stuff. Maybe overkill but it's my preference. Installers in a shop may not want to deal with customers bitching about trip odometer resets or loss of settings on radios that don't remember stuff.

If the battery is disconnected there's no power in the system and no need to do anything with the DBALL2 connectors.
    However, no reason to do both battery and blue connector. One or the other is fine.

3. Jan 19, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    OEM Running boards |oemassive headlights | winjet tail lights | led lighting | hid headlight & fogs | oem tri-fold Bed cover | Custom dual JL Audio 10tw3-d4 sub box and custom amp rack | black off road wheels | painted oem grille | jbl door speakers |
    Thanks. I will do both 'cause it's not time consuming to unplug it. So my plan is to disconnect battery, install dsm300, unplug blue connector off dball, plug in white connector to dball, plug in blue connector on dball and then re-connect battery. That way I'm safe.

I am the same as you, I always disconnect negative battery terminal when doing anything on the truck to be safe. It doesn't hurt and I honestly don't care that my trip meter and radio stuff do what they do

gpb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    Last question - did you have to remove the vent cover that is closest to the door in order to remove the top of the instrument cover?

5. Jan 19, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    ok that makes sense

6. Jan 19, 2017 at 6:27 PM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    @gpb - Thanks for all the help. I installed the dsm300 today and it was a super easy install. Thanks for the write up and tips. I am so happy that I ordered it and installed it :dancingbacon:

7. Jan 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    Will do. I'll re-read it tomorrow and see if there are any changes necessary

8. Jan 19, 2017 at 9:16 PM
    SothernTaco

SothernTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Tomball
    Vehicle:
    Turd Gen
  9. Jan 20, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    PJnc284

PJnc284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Garner, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
  10. Jan 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    @gpb - any update on Apple Watch response? Is it still giving you false feedback?

I think my only gripe with the SmartStart app is that there is no lock screen feedback or widget availability so that I can see the status without having to open the SmartStart app. Not a big deal, but would be nice.

Also siri integration would be bad ass so I can tell her to start my truck lol

11. Jan 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM
    ratcityrain

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off Road
    So far I have had no feedback issues with the app. I have noticed that there is no constant 2 way communication. What I mean is that if I start the truck with the app, then I open the door and re-start the truck using the push start button, the app never gets a signal stating that the truck was restarted so the counter just keeps counting down which is no biggy

12. Feb 24, 2017 at 3:55 AM
    Gravybird

Gravybird Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central MN
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Sport DCSB
    Predator tube steps, mud guards, Tonneau cover, TRD exhaust
    Does anyone know the subscription costs between the 300 and 350? I cant seem to find it in any of the links to smart start.

13. Feb 24, 2017 at 5:10 AM
    Gravybird

Gravybird Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central MN
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Sport DCSB
    Thank you. I missed that on the first skim over. I can't wait to get this done!

gpb[OP] likes this.
  14. Mar 5, 2017 at 9:58 AM
    Gravybird

Gravybird Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Central MN
    Vehicle:
    17 Black TRD Sport DCSB
    HAHA Got it! thank you for the write up! I had a small snafu with the KB Voodoo rig but that was totally my fault and the Smart Start went pretty much flawless. It did give me an error message at the end of the activation process but then I went to the MYsmartstart page and was able to log in and sign up no problem.

gpb[OP] likes this.
  15. Mar 27, 2017 at 1:27 AM
    .jake

.jake Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Discharged from the Whale’s Vagina into Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    So curious, my Mustang with factory remote start and push to start remains running as I open the door when remote started.

If I read this right, on the Taco, remote starting and then opening the door -- even with the fob in proximity -- will kill the engine and require a restart.

Do I have that right?

Thanks.

16. Mar 27, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    .jake

.jake Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Discharged from the Whale’s Vagina into Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    Dang. Sorry you took this personal. Thanks for the write up.

17. Apr 4, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    Hank Heel

Hank Heel Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Couple of questions I need an answer to;
    What's an AirID?
    I bought a unit(300) used from a member, assuming his account is still active, that means I can't register his unit(that's what she said)without him closing his account first correct?

18. Apr 5, 2017 at 6:42 AM
    Hank Heel

Member:
    WA
    From what I read accounts aren't transferable, would be nice if they were, given that it's been prepaid for few years, be that as it may.
    Seller has gotten back to me confirming account has been closed.
    Where would one find airid on the box? I didnt get any manuals, just the box itself with wiring harness.
    Thanks again

Ps hankheel doesn't smoke weed, only thing is smoked is my burgers when I use my propane and propane accessories.

19. Apr 5, 2017 at 7:04 AM
    Hank Heel

Member:
    WA
    If there's demand, supply will follow suit. Here in wa they've got these hemp specialty shops all over the place.
    You've been a ton of help I appreciate it. I did find that number, when attempting to register it, it says it's linked to another account basically. I'll call dei later in the day

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  20. Apr 5, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    Hank Heel

Member:
    WA
    I read that article few months back, whoever devised such brilliant plan must've been high to begin with, either way, pure genius. Though scout masters didn't take kindly to said plan iirc, something about setting a bad example.

I actually emailed them, waiting on reply.
    Hopefully everything pans out so I can activate it today.

gpb[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top