1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY spare tire mount

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ppat4, May 29, 2020.

1. May 29, 2020 at 7:49 PM
    ppat4

ppat4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Access Cab
    Just added toolbox and roof-rack to haul my fishing boat 100's of miles into the backwoods every week. Goodrich K02s, Bilstein 5100 front and back, no lift.
    Been searching the forum here and on the web for ways to store a second spare tire. Frequently offroad and have blown 2 tires on the same day so I always take a second spare.

Have seen some aftermarket stuff, usually ratchet strap based.

i wanted something simple to use, and cheap. I only need the second spare for offroad. Usually 30+ solo remote trips per year and far from help, so a second is essential.

Laying it down in the truck bed not for me as it takes up too much space needed for my fishing gear.

Today to experiment I stoodthe tire up against the tailgate, and use a ratchet tiedown to secure it to my Thule boat rack. Worked very well, maybe a 3 minute process.

i am going to hook a second tie down and loop it thru the tire and connected to the bed back corner tie down cleats. Then zero chance of it coming loose, even if the tailgate accidentally opened. So about 5 minutes tops to secure the tire and dead simple to remove for a flat.

2016 TRD OR, pic here to show Thule boat racks in use.

Anyone else have a better, cheaper, faster method? This will work for now and gives me the space I need for my gear. Zero movement, snug as can be.

My old 1986 F150 had a heavy steel plate that just bolted directly to the front bumper, and had 3 threaded bolts that matched the bolt pattern. Two minutes to remove or install the tire, was fantastic. Back in the day when trucks had real bumpers.

CC09B60A-910F-4B8F-9FB0-44AFA6B79FC6.jpg
    BD9CD1DC-7FB5-401E-B868-70904BF928C3.jpg
    C65AE383-463D-4A6C-AD1C-87484E89EF0A.jpg

dclbYak likes this.
  2. May 29, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    bradyv

bradyv Adventure Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
  3. May 29, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    ppat4

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    Just added toolbox and roof-rack to haul my fishing boat 100's of miles into the backwoods every week. Goodrich K02s, Bilstein 5100 front and back, no lift.
    that is pretty cool. I was wondering about using the bed guide rails. Would not work for me against back of cab but the side mount would work. My Thule clamps would get in the way but a spacer between tire and side of truck bed would fix that.

Malvolio likes this.
  4. May 29, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    bradyv

bradyv Adventure Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    I think that'd be your best option. Plus, it'd give you tailgate access again. With the spare tire up against the tailgate, it pretty much makes the bed access useless from the back. Just some food for thought!

71tattooguy and Malvolio like this.
  5. May 30, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    s.e.charles

s.e.charles Well-Known Member

Member:
    also adds weight behind the rear axle.

Malvolio and bradyv[QUOTED] like this.
  6. May 30, 2020 at 10:25 AM
    bonnfabrication

bonnfabrication Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Bremerton
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Dobinsons HD MRR lift SCS F5 wheels BFG K02s front bumper, custom roof rack
    I was able to fit a 255/80R17 under the bed by moving the spare tire "winch mount" still debating if I want to build a bumper with a swing out tire carrier.

7. May 30, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    ppat4

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    Has no negative impact to my setup. Boat is on my roof racks. I have my toolbox which is directly above the rear axle, loaded fulltime with about 300 pounds of gear so weight of tire in the back makes no difference to traction. Talking 85 pounds max for the tire.

The tire is also only there when I go offoad. Takes 2 minutes to install or remove from the bed so no big deal.

I checked my Thule rack mounts, and their position makes it impossible for me to mount the tire on the side of bed using the T bolts and bed rails. No big loss. All of my gear for offroad trips is easily retrieved from the side of the truck bed without needing to open the tailgate even once.

8. May 30, 2020 at 11:10 PM
    Malvolio

Malvolio free zip ties for Stun

Member:
    SoCal Dumbgeon
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB SR5 2WD
    Impossible? What about a piece of bent stainless steel or mild steel bar bent around the offending Thule mount? Then drill some holes in it and use the bolts and t nuts and washers to attach it to the accessory rail, and leave it in place. Roll the wheel up next to it, secure it through a lug kit or two, and roll?

image.jpg

9. May 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM
    ppat4

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC
    Vehicle:
    A good idea, but unneeded work for this as the second spare is moved in and out of the truck each offroad trip. I am also frequently moving the rack higher and lower for different loads, like lumber, boat, etc.

I have a simpler solution now. I just inserted another 1/4 inch spacer under my toolbox. Now, the tire can just lay flat under the toolbox. Slides right in, but get this point.

I can increase the tire pressure by just 2 pounds, and it is wedged under the toolbox and cannot be forced out. So to steal the tire, you would have to let the air out, but can't do that as the valve is not accessible under the toolbox. You would have to pop the tire to get it out.

If I need to use this spare, I can just unlock my toolbox, and loosen the box tie down nuts. Then slide the tire out. Did not require any custom work or drilling or such. Couple minutes to cut some 19 inch long 1/4 inch wood shims. In fact I am going to put a bike cable lock thru the wheel and into truck bed, so that bolt cutters can't access it. Anyone wanting to make the effort, has to pop the tire and break the bike lock, or break into the toolbox and cut the bike cable lock. The lock would be handy for those times I am very remote and leave the truck for hike-in fishing lakes.

Works pretty well. When I load my offroad gear in the truck, it all fits in front of toolbox, and behind toolbox. I never use the space under the box for my gear so the tire under there is a non issue. Plus it gives me extra weight right over my axle as the toolbox is mounted there.

As for the toolbox I use now, one of those typical metal flimsy top of bed mount boxes, I am probably going to get a welding shop to make me same one I made for my old F150. That was 4 feet wide, 2 feet by 2 feet and made of 1/4 inch steel. It was about 150 pounds empty. I insulated the box with plywood and insulation so it would not sweat.

It had 2 locks on the front recessed into the front panel that were not accessible by any crowbar or cutters. Could barely fit your fingers and key up inside to undo the locks. The plate that covered those locks was welded on 1/2 inch burglar proof steel. The plates were welded such that no way to pry them up. The only way into the box was with a cutting torch. I mounted the box through the bottom of the truck bed so that the threaded end of the bolts were inside the box and double nutted.

Once that box is done, I can put through lug bolts through the front of it and attach the spare there. Can use proper tire lug nuts plus locking nut to secure it.

Carried all of my construction tools in that box for 13 years. Knew a lot of guys on jobsites that repeatedly had their tools stolen from their flimsy toolboxes. In fact on on one job, an idiot came around selling tools from his car trunk. One of my partners recognized his stolen gear, and we had the RCMP come and pick the guy up as we haggled over the price. Guy had a shitload of stolen tools in his trunk. Trying to sell stolen tools back to the guy who owned the tools...

In 13 years I never lost a tool from that box. I paid a welder total $350 parts and labor to weld that for me.

Last edited: May 31, 2020

Products Discussed in

To Top