1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY: squeaky leaf fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by beachbumberry, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    08 tacoma

08 tacoma Active Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    08 Sr5
    hey guys does this squeak happen when like going up hill and pressing the brakes? i'm not that good with tools and was wondering if toyota does anything about this issue? if not would new springs solve the problem?

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    ComeOnToIt

ComeOnToIt Member

Member:
    Northern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '10 DBL.CB. TRD OR & '07 DBL.CB. SR5 4X4
    Bilstein 5100's- front, Rear spring TSB, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Goodyear Duratracs, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau
    Same here! I have a 2010 w/TSB done on it and it only squeaks on the driver's side when I get out! Pissing me off! I'm going to try this very, very soon. Exactly a solution I was looking for.

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    germanplumber

germanplumber Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Clarksville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 Access Cab Black
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is TSB? I might try this as well. Im about 220 and my driver side squeaks too.

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    TSB= Technical Service Bulletin

5. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    ComeOnToIt

ComeOnToIt Member

Member:
    Northern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's- front, Rear spring TSB, Toytec 1.5" AAL, Goodyear Duratracs, Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau
    This fix worked for me today! No more squeaks! I jacked up the truck just high enough so the tire was coming off the ground. I then tapped a pry bar in between the springs, near the clip. I did not use a bicycle tire tube, I cut strips from a cheap rubber doormat- the ones with the little nubs on them to wipe your feet on. I slid about a 6 inch piece in between the springs, so the rubber was flush with end of the spring, and then pulled the pry bar out. I did not use any glue- I don't think they are going anywhere, and the mat with the nubs works really well. I was a skeptic, it just seemed too easy- but no more squeaks! I couldn't believe it!

6. Aug 9, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    ComeOnToIt

ComeOnToIt Member

Member:
    Northern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    I did today- works great with TSB springs. You just don't need as long of a piece of rubber because the 4 pack leaf ends are nearer to each other. But it worked amazingly! Squeak free....finally.

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    i really wanna know if this is the solution 2 my problem. my problem i think is the bushings but idk when i hit any bump get in or out of my truck or even press the gas and come 2 a stop i hear a horride squek. i have been spraying them at the carwash about every day and it stops for the day and then its back the next. Silicone grease just doesnt cut it for the squeak. if anyone has had this problem that sounds just about like mine and tried this please post a reply on this or send me a msg bcz im really considering doing this but i just dont know. i understand though what can it hurt.

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM
    sixdoubleseven

sixdoubleseven Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x4
    Yup, sounds like you have the same problem as everyone else. Give it a shot, it's so freaking easy. I'm sure you'll welcome the silence.

9. Aug 18, 2010 at 9:14 PM
    ComeOnToIt

ComeOnToIt Member

Member:
    Northern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    Again, it can't hurt to try it- it takes a few minutes. I didn't think this would cure mine either because it just didn't seem like the squeak was coming from where I put the rubber matting. It seemed like it was coming from the leafs rubbing on the clip because I could get it ti squeak bad even when the leafs were hanging in the air. But...I did it anyway and when I lowered the truck- all squeaks were gone! Still gone after a few weeks now.

10. Aug 19, 2010 at 12:55 PM
    Alex352

Alex352 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/281569-alex352s-build-thread.html
    the same things happened to me. i tried this a while back and the squeak was gone for a week, then after loading my dirtbike and driving it for a little the squeak came back and almost seems louder:confused:. i would say go for it and see if it works for you. its a hit or miss but its super easy. im going to take apart my leaf pack today, clean/inspect them and see what i can find

11. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Any update? It could also be rubbing at the center bolt, for a while there after doing this mod when I hosed between the leaves the noises would stop instanly, but they would return as soon as I went on sand for 5 min. I'l have the power-washer out tomorrow anyway, guess I will try blasting the mounting bolts.

12. Aug 20, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    Meeocky

Meeocky GEAUX TIGERS!

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Black '05 Tacoma
    All I did was blasted it real well with a pressure washer, and let it dry, I sprayed them with an near empty can of WD-40. When that ran out, I used "STL-8" on the rest, and wiped off any run-off. So far its been over 2 weeks, and not a single squeak.

13. Aug 20, 2010 at 6:48 AM
    Trapper6speed

Trapper6speed Hacksaw engineer

Member:
    Stock
    I did this mod with mine used rubber from a and the sqeek came back. Sounds like it's coming from the back of the spring. Finishing up a bathroom remod right now. I will look at it when I get time.

14. Aug 21, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    calledin

calledin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC Sport SR5 4x4
    worked great! best money and hour i've spent in a while. Thanks!

15. Aug 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Blasted the bearings the other day. Instantly cut the remaining squeaking down to almost nothing.

16. Aug 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    beachbumberry

beachbumberry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    andrew
    fl now, tx native
    Vehicle:
    05 sr5 4x4 access cab
    leveling kit, american racing rims, push bar, nerf bars
    6xxx miles on it with no squeak and about 8xxx strapped to a car transport then in a cargo container.

17. Aug 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    pinktaco808

pinktaco808 Hot Steppa

Member:
  18. Aug 22, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    Alex352

Alex352 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/281569-alex352s-build-thread.html
    yea i found a lot of grime in the center where all the leafs meet up. the squeak is a lot quieter now but its still there. im going to power wash the leafs and see if that helps

19. Aug 27, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    fat.tires

fat.tires New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5
    2" lift, tinted windows
    I just did this fix and used a piece of an old bicyle tire. Vwhala, instant silence!

Thank you!!!

20. Aug 29, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    williegator

williegator Well-Known Member

Member:
    atlantic beach florida
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    toytec Ultimate kit set @ 3 inches, Light Racing UCA's, HELO HE791 17X8 WHEELS, BFG 285-70-17's, secondary air filter removed, ARI drop in filter, Scan Gauge, Roll N Lock
    After hearing my own squeaky leafs for a few weeks and reading this topic, I jacked up my truck yesterday (under the hitch) and got under it and looked everything over good. On the drivers side, there is a bracket holding the break line that is shaped like a U over the forward part of the leaf springs. It had moved and was rubbing the side of the leafs (bright metal on both). A few wacks with a small mall and it was centered again (other side was good). I also noted that one of the leafs at the rear on both sides had moved to the inside slightly. A few wacks and it was back in alignment (U bolts are tight). While I had it up I washed out good the surfaces between the leafs.
    So far so good...

Products Discussed in

To Top