1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05Moose, May 1, 2010.

1. May 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    Thank you, thank you :) But!

The REAL credit here goes to 05Moose....this was HIS baby. I just followed his lead and made it work for mine own.

*raises glass of beer

SALUT!

EDITED to add:

One thing. I went to the Lowes and Home Depot ad links that 05Moose has in his OP as of now. I purchased the Home Depot one for use in this DIY thread.

The 'center' rivet connecting the layers of plastic grid are no more. If you look at the pictures I posted, you'll see that I cut the first try out of the filter material in the 'bottom-left corner'. Then, when I fucked that up, I took the 'bottom right'.

As long as I don't break the small side rails, I can make at least four filters' worth out of this single 19$ sheet. The center rivet the OP refers to is no longer present....once you remove the outside instructions on paper layer and slide the side rails off, the plastic 1 X 1 'grids' are completely independant of the filter material.

2. May 15, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift

Am I actually seeing this? I'm probably missing the point of the second picture here, but did you actually shave your *ahem* cat? ;) :D

PS. You missed a few spots.

3. May 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    That and........wow, nice pineapple plant!

4. May 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Xaks

Xaks Cranky & often armed sysadmin

Member:
    First Name:
    Xaks
    Oklahoma City area
    Vehicle:
    work beast '06 reg cab 4 cyl 5 spd
    Ahem.

Yes, we give the cat a 'lion cut' about three times a year. She spends a lot of time out on the porch, and since it is so bloody hot in Florida, she's a lot more comfy with the shorter hair. She loves it! There are, of course, countless jokes to be made as well, all off-color and horrible....it's my wife's cat.

And thanks for the pineapple love :) A friend of mine gave us a single pineapple from a plant in their yard about two years ago. And from that one top:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can't even eat store-bought ones any more, they're too bland!

Threadjack over :)

5. May 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Yeah, after eating fresh pineapples in Nicaragua, coming home and eating them from the store just aint as good.

6. Jun 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    2WheelDave

2WheelDave Biker Trash

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry Rigg
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    extensive
    Yup.
    I'm not advertising K&N makes a specific Tacoma Cabin Filter. It's a standard air intake filter that happens to fit in our Taco's. My daughter has a little Forte and while doing maintanence on it, I noticed the size looked similar to my ' Seasoned Taco's ' cabin filter, since I too toss a filthy one away every month. I guess it will eventually pay for itself at $45, but I'm sure the ones that complain about the price might at well keep running to wallmart and stocking up on papertowels, cardboard and duct tape to make your own tweeker style cabin filter.

Anyways, here's the K&N filter number:

33-2380

It also makes your A/C run much more efficient and gives it about 10% more Ponies after having it on the Dyno! (LOL, jk!)

7. Jun 22, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:
    it's uncanny how awesome this thing fits. (the one i made).

not sure if i'd want to fork over $40+ for a filter though lol

8. Jun 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I'm cheap. I made mine from the OP's directions for $20. From looking at the K&N I think it is just as good.

9. Jun 23, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    xyourlocaldjx

xyourlocaldjx Well-Known Member

Member:

whats awesome is... you still have material to make more.

I sandwiched the foam and netting with the grids and just tied the edges down and made an extra one for my brother. fits pretty good as well.

still have enough for 3-4 more ghetto ones lol

10. Jun 23, 2012 at 3:38 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Ha Ha. Your cheaper then I am. I seem to recall that there wasn't enough frame material or it didn't go together right or something. I guess you found a way around it with wire ties or duct tape or string or something. Good for you. I could have made one for my brother in law if I had your ingenuity.

11. Jul 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM
    lourpitcher

lourpitcher New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner
    Very helpful posting. Will try it as my 2005 has never had a filter as they didn't come with them that year and the slot is empty.

I always though enjoyed on all my Toyota service visits for a service problem ,the service advisor would always come out and tell me what they had found wrong and he would always add..."and we found your cabin air filter was dirty and needs replaced, OK sir?" I woluld then ask him, how dirty was it, and he would say "Very Dirty". I would just for fun ask to walk back and see it and of course they never had even looked at the filter. :)

12. Aug 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    Finally got around to doing the mod, thanks OP!

I did not read the entire thread, but I saw the question early on when people were bickering about whether it is worth doing the mod.
    The question was, what do you do with the rest of the plastic and filter material?

My answer, you can use one of these filters to do multiple cabin filters. There is really no need for the outer framing of the filter with the way it sits in the tray. You can cut the plastic to be as many 8x8 squares as you can, cut the filter to match and slide it all in place. This will keep everything in place, but if you are worried, slip a small piece of wire through and the thread it it around all 3 pieces.

So I have some extra material if anyone would like a filter.

13. Sep 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    skulltacoma

skulltacoma Make more better!

Member:
    First Name:
    BEN
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 toyota tacoma trd modified
    CAI, dynomax turbo exhaust system,tinted windows medium on the fronts to match the backs, hid kit hi and low beam, pop and lock tailgate, painted calipers red with caliper paint, put 2.25' leveling kit in front and a 1" block in the rear. its now level and rides WAY better (readylift)>way nicer than the revtek my buddy has i think its garbage imo<, hurst "T" shifter, 18 x 10 american racing (can't remember the name) chrome rims with badass 5 inch lip :), 12 inch rockford fosgate punch with rockford fosgate 600 watt amp, bushwacker fender flares (cheaper than replacing the one i wrecked lol) ,kc light bar with kc lights, toyota aluminum stamped skid plate, and a skull front license plate. More mods to come, thinking a 6 inch lift and arb bumper etc etc.
    subscribed and doing this asap stupid stealerships wanting a fortune for a peice of paper!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Jan 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    calpy

calpy New Member

Member:
    Cal.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Thanks a million for the great tip !!!!!!

15. Feb 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    g8rzguy78

g8rzguy78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.C.
    WNC
    Ill be doing this this weekend... Its supposed to be cold and I need an inside project...

16. Mar 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    g8rzguy78

g8rzguy78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.C.
    WNC
    Did mine this past weekend. Home Depot had the filter for $20. Got it in on Friday nite and Saturday found the same filter for $14 at Walmart. Either way its a great idea, thanks for sharing

17. Mar 14, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Subbed. Thanks for posting

18. Mar 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    justindavis

justindavis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD PreRunner Double Cab
  19. May 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
    I'm not sure if this has been figured out yet, but Walmart sells a washable filter for $3.00.

I cut it to fit the cabin filter and so far it has worked out great. It's pretty cheap though. It just has clips to hold the filter to the plastic, not the nice edges as shown by the OP.

20. May 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Sub'd. Great and easy mod. No more wasting $$$ to the stealership.

To Top