1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Wheel Bearing Replacement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fortech, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Jun 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    Fortech

Fortech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Sigh... Another wheel bearing is about to bite the dust - only 11 months into its life. A co worker has a 2006 Tacoma and is on bearing number 7 and 8 - I'm now needing number 5.

My two previous replacements were installed by the dealer under warranty. Since my warranty has now expired, I hope to attempt this myself. The FSM describes removing the upper and lower ball joint to complete the procedure, but I really don't see how its necessary.

If anyone has replaced the assembly themselves and have a few pointers, it would be greatly appreciated. I know the hub has to be pressed into the new bearing, but would appreciate any additional info pertaining to seals, useful tips, etc.

Thanks...

2. Jun 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM
    johnw

johnw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    orlando florida
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner v-6 4.0L 4 door
    well you asked for specs..... 06 trd sport speedway blue V-6 4.0 camburg lift spindles extended travel icons total chaos lowers allpro 4" leaf pack 17" xd hoss rims 305/65/17 mickey thompson baja atz Allpro hybrid bumper with 3 kragen HID lights color matched headlights grill craft grill AFE stage 3 CAI wicked flow muffler under cover bed cap inside i have..... wet okole real tree camo seat cover blue oznium dome light stealth sub box with 2 10" kicker comp subs kicker 400 watt amp weathertech floor mats
    well correct me if im wrong they replaced them under warranty even if you are out of it there part failed and now needs replacing so they need to fix what they installed wrong obviously

3. Jun 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Damn! Sorry to hear. Last Toy wheel bearing I replaced was on an "88 PU in the rear. Easy shit!

4. Jun 26, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    Fortech

Fortech [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    There is a 12 month warranty on parts installed if you purchase - no coverage for parts replaced under warranty (unless you are still under original warranty).

I have access to a full garage including two lifts, two industrial air compressors, as well as a full range of air tools - father in law is part owner of an independent garage, and I have a key.;)

I've been doing my own light work there for years. The big thing is I'm out of town on business all week and only have weekends to perform the repair. The local dealer isn't open on weekends so I want to have all my ducks lined up in a row before I start. GOT TO have the vehicle operational again by Sunday evening so I want to be prepared.

I may contact a recycling yard this week and try and locate a spare hub/bearing assembly. This way I can rebuild it during the week while I'm away and install it on the weekend when I get home. The only uncertainty I have is regarding the seals and whether the upper and lower BJ actually have to be separated from the spindle. I say no - even though the FSM says yes.

To Top