1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY Wheel Bearing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dallas8888, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Feb 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Dallas8888 [OP] Member

Feb 27, 2010
    2007 SR5
    4x4 Illuminated Switch, BakFlip G2, Weathertech Floor Liners
    Guys, just wanted to give a couple tips for those wanting to replace their own front wheel bearings. I appologize but I didn't get a chance to take some pics while my buddy changed them.

Ist thing, you don't need a press if you have a big ass gear puller and an impact gun. The gear puller can be used to remove and press the new bearing back onto the hub. Take your time and the original seals can be reused. 2nd, don't follow the steps in the official toyota repair manual. There's no need to disconnect the brake line from the caliper. Simply remove the screw holding the bracket for the brake line. This will give some slack where the caliper can be shifted to the side to give more room to work. 3rd, once the bearing is separated from the hub the inner race may still be stuck on the hub. Just use a punch or similar to score it and it will break off with a couple of whacks with a good hammer. An impact gun speeds up the work plus you'll need some big sockets to complete the repair. Took my buddy 1:15min to complete each side.
To Top