1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do 2011 need/qualify for the spring TSB?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by collinkonow, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    I just bought a 2011 DC LB. It is an SR5. Does it need or qualify for the spring TSB or did they fix that for the 2011. Thanks.

2. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    TacomaGRG

TacomaGRG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Danvers, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5
    Westin Stainless Bull Bar Flowmaster 50 Dual Exhaust 17" FJ Cruiser Wheels Socks Devil Horn 3rd Brake Light Cover STK Pro Rack Carriage Works Black Billet Grille w/Devil Horns Stubby Antenna Avid Rocker Guards Rear Leaf TSB Rear Bilstein 5100s Front Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 AFE Air Filter
    I just had mine done on my 09 and my dealer told me the TSB hasn't been extended to the 11's yet.

3. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    TacomaGRG

TacomaGRG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Danvers, MA
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5
    Westin Stainless Bull Bar Flowmaster 50 Dual Exhaust 17" FJ Cruiser Wheels Socks Devil Horn 3rd Brake Light Cover STK Pro Rack Carriage Works Black Billet Grille w/Devil Horns Stubby Antenna Avid Rocker Guards Rear Leaf TSB Rear Bilstein 5100s Front Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 AFE Air Filter
    If it already has 3 leaf springs plus a help spring then you already have it. Mine orginally came with 2 leaf springs plus the helper spring so I needed the added spring.

4. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:37 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    No I have three total leafs. Im sure I'm going to get the run around by the dealer if the 2011 is not included yet. This just pisses me off. Why do I have to bring a truck with 250 miles on it in for a TSB. THIS SHIT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED ALREADY. The damn TSB has been out for how many years now. My blood pressure is rising rapidly. Also having issues with vibration when accelerating hard from a start. I understand that this is probably the driveshaft wobbling at the carrier bearing, but jesus, the Gen. 2 has been out for 6 years now and they cant figure that out either? Just starting to wonder if I shouldmhave bought a Nissan. NO complaints from Frontier owners on their sites.

Any ideas????????

5. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Also, can anyone give me the actual number of the spring TSB? Or if not where online can I find it? How about Toyota, what is a good number to call?

6. Oct 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    My guess is that is is 1) not already done and 2) not technically covered.
    But if you have the issues that the TSB is made to correct (Harsh ride under load) you probably have a decent argument to getting the springs replaced.

Yeah...Do the math to realize how many of the TSBs they do for folks who have a complaint versus how many truck never need it. The section of the buyers who want is less than 3%. And I have a hard time believing there are no complaints about Frontiers...

7. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Well Brunes, my issue is this. Even if the percentage .5% then toyota should just fix the damn thing FROM THE FACTORY if there is an issue. I paid good money for this truck and within 250 miles ALREADY have two major issues. Do you think that is right? If you can tell me that is a good thing than you may want to go work for the Obama administration. I dont understand the rational behind you saying only 3% of people are saying they have a problem. I find that hard to believe. Have you conducted a poll? I was looking at a thread for the spring TSB and 168 people were looking at it at the same time as I was. This is a problem. And on the frontiers, do a search on Frontier problems and then do one on Tacoma problems. You will see what i mean.

8. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    easy Collin. My large dealership in Indianapolis that has sold thousands(well maybe hundreds) of 2nd gen Tacomas since '05 has only done 3 TSB's. Mine and 2 other TW members I guided through the process with them. That's an easy % to calculate. They told me the majority of the people that buy these trucks want a ride like a car, and that is who Toyota will cater too. You are in a very small minority that does not drive the market.

....oh and welcome to TW

9. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    First up- Lay off the politics/insults.

Second- Lots of folks like the softer ride provided by the stock springs prior to the TSB...So even tho you are all upset about it-The majority of the users of the 2nd Gen Tacoma line are either 1) indifferent about it or 2) happy with the way the truck rides, because they would fix it if everyone had a problem with it. It also makes good business sense to only adjust the trucks that people ask for to be fix. I figured this out with some rough non-scientific math that I'm not going to waste my time posting up cause it's not going to convince you of anything.

There are like 40K members here- Of course people were reading it. One of them was very possibly me who had the issues and knew about the TSB and got it done. So your claim of 168 people reading a thread means exactly nothing about anything.

And I've read plenty about the Fronty. Here are some titles I've found about issues with that truck: Faulty Ignition Recall, Start/Idle issues, electrical problems, peeling paint. I think that is enuf to prove that any truck has issues.

10. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Hoosier thanks for the welcome. I dont mean to get angry but ask yourself if you would be happy with a truck that has two issues within the first 250 miles. i have a 08 4 runner that I love and thats why i got rid of my F150 for the Taco. However, after reading all of the problems that people have on this forum i am starting to wonder about my decision. dont get me wrong, i love my Taco so far, but its just a little disappointing to hear all of the bad things after laying out 30K for a truck. Any suggestions seeing as you work at a dealership on the 2011 spring TSB ?

11. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Brunes, no disrespect intended, but I do not work for or get paid by Toyota to defend their product. If something is wrong with a vehicle then I am going to point it out. I understand about the spring thing and that most people are satisfied with it. I get it, I really do. Having said that, I love the Tacoma otherwise and didn't get the Frontier for a reason. It looks like crap. I also have issues with the driveline vibration. This also seems to be VERY common and has been happening to most trucks for years. I, as a consumer, expect that these issues be worked out from year to year, but they obviously have not been. THAT is my issue

12. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Well put ....

... and welcome Collin ... you will find out that there is a butt load of knowledge and advice here .... some you may not agree with and you'll have to deal with that .... when you ask a question or for an opinion (shy away from that one ... :cool:) .... be prepared to hear a wide range ... a little advice ... relax, breath in through your nose and out through you mouth ..... it will help the high BP.

Also ..... these issues were out there prior to you purchasing a Tacoma. You sound like a knowledgeable person. Perhaps a little pre-purchase research could have made your decision/choice to buy a Toyota easier.

13. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    sorry I misslead you. When I said 'my', I meant the dealership I bought my truck from and use for service, oops, sorry.

First off, people on this forum are very nit picky,(love ya all) including myself and that is why they are here to learn more in depth detail than the average Joe, and make mods. 40,000 members that bruno mentioned is a small % of total Tacoma owners.

Second, I don't feel getting mad will solve anything but cloud your thought process. I also had two serious problems right off the lot. The weak springs and lop sided tires which caused terrible vibration at 55mph. Boy did that send me for a loop. But not getting angry, I took it back and said fix it. They did, after two trips and some free stuff I made them throw in to make me happy I went on my way.....

14. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I don't work for Toyota either- but making it sound like the end of the world is a bit dramatic. There are fixes available for them, at little cost to you (cause I'll call time spent/gas spent on trips a cost). And don't get me wrong- You shouldn't be content to let you truck be less than what you want/paid for if you don't want to...

Saying "most trucks" isn't true. A lot of trucks you read about on here...Yes. But this is a site for folks to come to learn about problems and about their trucks...So you are going to hear a LOT of problems here. There are pleanty of success stories too.
    FWIW-I haven't had a problem with any wobbles or vibrations.

15. Oct 31, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Brunes, who said it was the end of the world??? I certainly didn't. What exactly did i post that would make you think that??? Please be specific. Listen, I am new to this site and appreciate all the help from everyone. I just expect COMPLETE quality from a brand like Toyota, and when it's not there it's disappointing. I said I loved the truck otherwise. Don't make me out to be some hot head who flies off the handle at everything, you dont even know me. Thats not fair at all and I dont appreciate it, new to the site or not. Glad to hear you dont have the vibration problem......I do.

16. Oct 31, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    See...This is the thing tho- You've made 9 or 10 posts here and you pretty much flew off the handle in your reply to me-including making insults that violate the Code of Conduct for the site. Two/Three people said you need to chill??

COMPLETE quality includes backing up their product- Which very few folks have had an issue with. You'll get the new springs and they'll work with your driveline vibration issue. I have had issues with my truck (including needing a new transmission for an issue no one else has had)...but they did it under warranty so I'm not going to complain. I'm also not going to fault them for trying to keep the truck appealing to the widest group of folks.

17. Oct 31, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    here is the number to call Toyota> (800) 331-4331

and I attached the TSB, and also something I found with regional numbers if you want to involve the local reps.(never heard if anyone has used it so not sure of accuracy) But I could very easily explain what you can do to hopefully get your TSB done. But you would have to do exactly like I say, if your interested.......

T-SB-0305-08[1].pdf
    Toyota regional phone List.pdf

18. Oct 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    collinkonow

collinkonow [OP] Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DC LB
    Hoosier, thnaks for the info, i will take your advice when you are ready to share it.

Brunes, I would like to apologize. I still dont know what you are refering to when you say I flew off the handle. The obama comment? If so, sorry I offended you. Two or three people told me to chill? I didn't catch that. Again I apologize and didn't realize I violated the code of conduct. Please explain how I did this specifically so I do not do it again. I value the information on this site and do not want to create a hostile enviroment. Thank you in advance

19. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    hoosiertaco

Member:
    you really came around and made a great post and I would happily give you my take on getting the TSB done.

It is simple really, and that is the mindset you must convey to the service manager. Simplicity.

First, print off the current TSB and roll it up in your hand and carry it with you when you walk in the dealership.

Second, you must have a very polite, yet stern demeanor when you get to the dealership. Arriving at the dealer with any attitude, anger or any negative vibes will get you nowhere.

Third, politely, with a nice tone ask one of the service writers if you can speak to the service manager.

Fourth, when they ask what you need and if they can help you, tell them politely that they can help you after you talk to the service manager. If he/she is not available, ask them for a day/time when you can come back and talk to him/her. They can't deny you to talk to the manager. They are just scared because that is their boss, so be kind.

Fifth, when you finally get to talk to the service manager, explain to him kindly the research you have done on TSB's and that you are experiencing a Harsh Ride. Then Show him the TSB you printed off and kindly ask if they could do it for you. Remember, when you say the words, "I'm experiencing a harsh ride", you just said the magic words.

At this point he wants to make sure you are serious and may even belittle you a bit. That's just what they sometimes do. It is very pleasurable though to kick back when they are through and say again, "i'm experiencing a Harsh Ride and according to the TSB it says that due to customer complaint of a harsh ride".....no need to say more but just smile. They can not for any reason deny the fact you are complaining of the exact issue on the TSB. The TSB says nothing of any proof needed....PERIOD!

They may want to 'look at it'. But that is only to verify the numbers and order the parts. Make sure they order the right parts, and also the day they do it be sure it is the 4 leaf pack. People have actually got the 3 leaf packs put on in place of the original 3 leaf packs. They ordered the wrong numbers.

The reason they want to make sure is because if you don't like the ride after they do it, then it will cost you the 2k or whatever to put your old springs back on, and they don't want bad publicity because someone made a wrong choice on their dime.

All that said, you may completely qualify for the TSB except for your model year. Unfortunately this means they don't have to do it. In the past many have got it done before the next year was added, but that is up to the dealer. 2011 should be added soon and you may have to wait. So be prepeared for them to say 2011 is not included. At that point you can mention that your spring numbers are the same as previous years and will be added eventually and you would like the TSB done.

If you try this and they won't do it due to your year, then call Toyota and file a complaint of 'Harsh Ride'. That may get it done and will get the new years on the TSB quicker, is what I've heard.

....oh did I mention to be polite and kind.:D You are the boss, and they work for you, and I can't remember any boss with an attitude I ever liked working for......think about it......

I wish you well.............:)

20. Oct 31, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    See the bolded below for the "chill" type comments. Not direct quotes...but close enuf.

And maybe "the end of the world" was a bit more than you conveyed...but when you use superlatives like "NO complaints" and your rapidly rising blood pressure...I would say you are getting a bit more upset than you need to. It's a business transaction...Keep it that way.

As far as the code of conduct and/or site rules...1) no politics 2) no insulting. So while veiled...the obama comment hits both of those.

It's all good man- I've got no ill will. Enjoy the board!! ~peace

Products Discussed in

To Top