1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do I need shocks/struts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by david55838, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jul 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    david55838

david55838 [OP] Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4
    I've got a '99 SR5 V-6 4x4 with only 45k. 16" stock wheels with the 75 series tires and no lift. It feels like the truck has started bouncing around over sharp small bumps and the front end bobs over larger ones.

I know it's 14 years old but it's low mileage. Getting kind of uncomfortable to drive.

Thanks experts!
    David

2. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    SCSPerformance

SCSPerformance Stealth Custom Series™ Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Vin
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Camburg LT kit DMZ SUA kit SCS wheels Destroyer Gray
    Look at the shocks and any oil film residue. That's usually a tell-tell sign that the shocks are blown and leaking. Another test you can do is by pushing down on the front/rear and see how it rebounds.

3. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    TailDrag

TailDrag Well-Known Member

Member:
    My current car (2006 xB) had 46k when I bought it last year. Rear shocks were completely useless. No sign of leaks or damage, but when I changed them out I could easily squish them completely together and had ZERO rebound. By the time we finished changing both sides out, they still hadn't decompressed fully. If it rides like shit, I would change them out unless you're hard up for cash. Then I'd ride them until I had the coin or it was unbearable.

These were original OEM shocks, Monroe's IIRC.

4. Jul 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Go on and replace them if you've got the time and money.
    Our 97 Caravan (aka, Silver Slug) went forever on bad shocks. You'd see our van going down the street and know it was us because it bounced over every little thing. When I replaced them, I was able to compress them all the way by hand and there was very little decompression, just as TailDrag described his. :D I wish I had pictures, because it was hilarious.

5. Jul 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    david55838

david55838 [OP] Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 Xtra Cab 4x4
    Thanks guys. Shocks are all dry so I'd have to remove them anyway to check them. Bilstein 5100 with 0 lift will give a smoother, more controlled ride?

6. Jul 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    Shotshell

Shotshell Member

Member:
    Rocky Mountains
    Vehicle:
    '03 4-Door V-6 4x4
    4" ProComp Lift, K&N Cold Air, Roof Rack, Camper Top, Custom Storage System, Brush Guard, 33" BFG A/T's.
    I know this doesn't necessarily have anything to REALLY do with this, but...
    I've broken, (snapped the bottom bushings off the shock, and all the fluid drained out.) one pair of Ranchos, and TWO pairs of Monroes in the back.... Just saying, the ride immediately becomes noticeably crappier. If it's that noticeable, they've gone bad. Just change them.

And I would highly recommend going with Nitro Shocks, they're not that much more expensive (most the time) and they actually work for more than 30 minutes, unlike the traditional liquid filled shocks. Just saying.

Products Discussed in

To Top