1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do mods increase value?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rosebud, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    rosebud

rosebud [OP] Love that transmission!

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Stock suspension, stock wheels, stock bumper, stock, stock, stock, dammit!
    I am just curious, because I know that this is not my last truck, but I do want to do some mods on the ride. What mods add to the value of a taco? Do wheels, grille guards, custom grilles, etc, add to the worth of a taco, or will that only be a matter of opinion for the buyer?

2. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:50 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    none will add value, if your gonna get mods, keep the stock parts so you can put them back on when you go to sell, then you can resell the parts :)

3. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    x2 Thats the best thing :thumbsup:

4. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    ^ yep. Only very few mods might add a minor increase in value...ie trd cai/trd exhaust. Wet okole's. Either way its always better to put back to stock and sell the parts serperatley unless the labor time doesn't warrant the payoff

5. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    x3

6. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    well... its added value only if someone else is willing to pay for those mods :)

wait... actually, i turned in a lease vehicle once and i got more for it from adding chrome rims and wide tires...

7. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    A supercharger is probably the only thing that may add value.

8. Sep 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    even those types of things dont really add resale value, the thing is when someone is looking to buy a tacoma they will be looking to buy a tacoma and compare it to every other tacoma for sale, which most likely wont have any mods or aftermarket parts. little things like seat covers and cai's will help you sell the vehicle but they wont necessarily get you more $

9. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    That's exactly what I did when I sold my Integra. Sold all my aftermarket parts on craigs list.

Also worth noting is that mods will not necessarily increase the value to the insurance company. Case in point, my coworker had his '05 jeep stolen from work. He had $6,500 in improvements. He had all of his receipts to prove it (no pictures though). The Insurance company is trying to get him to settle for .25 cents on the dollar for almost all the aftermarket parts. He is very diplomatic about it, but they have a hard-line attitude about their offer (take it, or take us to arbitration, have a nice day).

One of his biggest problems is trying to explain to the adjuster just how the mods increased the value of the truck. My coworker will end up loosing approximately $3500.

In San Diego, its very common for the jeeps to be stolen and they wind up in Mexico. I have heard rumors about how the authorities in Mexico do virtually nothing to recover the vehicle even with the lojack devices--they don't care.

10. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Nothing will really add value unless it's something the person/company buying the car wants it.

Even a supercharger isn't worth anything to someone who just wants a truck...

Keeping stock parts to replace when you go to sell is the way to go...or just not worrying about it.

As far as Cokes buddies Jeep- If you mod your vehicle that extensively you are on the hook to let your insurance company know. They charge you based on accepting a certain dollar amount of risk (the value of the car). They usually include about a grand in "extras" coverage...and you are required to let them know about improvements past that amount that you would like covered.

11. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    TRD should come out with lifts

12. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    As mentioned they typically aren't going to add value. Especially alot of performance parts since often times the dealer will return the vehicle to stock before they sell it, so it costs them to do so. On occasion they will give you more when you have difference rims on or items like that. As far as private sale, only is going to add value if the buyer cares about that stuff and is willing to pay more for it. As others suggested you definitely want to keep stock items. You'll make out by returning the vehicle to stock and selling your aftermarket items seperately then.

13. Sep 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I wonder if I should do much, then. I plan on having this truck paid off by the end of next year if not sooner, and will keep it for a few years, but eventually want my prerunner or 4x4. Should I wait on the pricier things for my next truck?

One thing that will make this truck more appealing is new wheels and tires. But if it would be best to return it to stock before I sell it, maybe I should just think tires?

14. Sep 17, 2009 at 4:28 PM
    SRQ TACO

SRQ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5lug Lowered & 2008 Tacoma 4x4 Lifted
    IMHO only adding factory mods will increase value suck as TRD rims or seat covers you know stuff available at the dealer.

15. Sep 17, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I might get new rims after I pay it off, but I won't get top of the line. I want to go with 16 rims and bigger tires, and that should make the truck more appealing even when I sell it.

You know, if I don't plan to trade it in, mods would probably help me get at least KBB. I just sold my mother's honda for BB just because it looks great even though it is ten years old.

What about tonneau covers?

16. Sep 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Well a tonneau is only a few hundred bucks as it is so I don't know that it's going to mean much 5 years from now. If you want to do stuff to the car, just go for it. You can always sell the stuff afterwards. Hell I bought stuff for my previous car and I only leased it for 2 years lol. Was probably dumb but I ended up selling everything I had on it within a few weeks. You only live once! Don't be hesitant to do stuff to the truck because you're getting rid of it in a few years.

17. Sep 17, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    rosebud

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Yeah, I do want to do a few things. :D

18. Sep 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You don't do mods for added value, you do them for your own enjoyment.

Matter of fact, mods will make your vehicle less attractive to most buyers. People shop based on KBB (or similar) value so the 60 yr old grandpa who wants a second hand truck doesn't care about your intake and won't pay extra for it. He may even walk away entirely because he'll assume the truck was beat on.

19. Sep 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    it will make it easier to sell, just not worth more

20. Sep 17, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i would say the exact opposite, err half opposite... a modded truck will take longer to sell and will receive more hagglers, stock vehicles sell faster and in turn for more

Products Discussed in

To Top