1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you Care if James Holmes is "Insane"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by AFButters, Mar 14, 2013.

?

James Holmes Should be..

Poll closed Dec 9, 2015.
  1. Sent to a Mental Hospital

6.1%
  2. Locked away in Jail for Life

14.6%
  3. Given the Death Penalty

54.3%
  4. Thrown in Gen Pop and Taken care of.. Not Legal but oops.

25.0%
  1. Mar 15, 2013 at 2:47 AM
    stewartx

stewartx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Are you two guys kidding? People been studying these wackos for decades (centuries even) and we aren't a bit closer now to figuring them out than when all that started. Despite a few relatively common (not absolutely common) characteristics, each are fairly unique (driven by different mindsets, motivations, etc). At this point, it's pretty darn clear there isn't a magical formula which will prevent what they do.

2. Mar 15, 2013 at 3:19 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Actually, the death penalty itself it dirt cheap (a few hundred dollars). It's the seemingly endless, intentionally dragged out, appeals (along with court-appointed attorneys paid throughout that, judges to hear dragged out arguments, meals, incarceration, etc) which cost so much money. If we set a reasonable time limit on those appeals (same number, just submitted & handled quicker), costs for that would go down substantially as well.

3. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:02 AM
    AFButters

AFButters [OP] Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 335xi BMW
    I understand appeals process and the need for it for some cases.. but When someone commits a crime, theire are witnesses/survivors, hard eveidence they are guilty, there is no being innocent then the process should just be sped up.

The other thing is this, How is it fair to the victims if a person say shoots and kills a few people, a cop stubles upon the evidence but the defense says it wasnt a legal search.. why should a killer be able to walk free if it was simply an honest mistake on the cops fault, or some other technacallity.

4. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:23 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    x2.

5. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    That's so off the mark it's just stupid silly and ignorant. We've made leaps and bounds in just the last decade in understanding of many mental health illnesses. One of the major ones is Bi-polar and all of it's various forms.

We've learned lots of things:

The vast majority of teens who commit suicide suffer from some sort of mental health disability. A very common ones are a few specific variations of Bi-Polar. (Manic Depression)

The majority of people who are addicted to drugs or alcohol also suffer form mental health illness. Again, a major culprit is Bi-Polar.

Also, you can now test for Bi-Polar. 10 years ago, it was a guess. Medicine has come a MILE in the treatment of Bi-Polar in the last decade.

These people don't choose to live this way they are born that way. They can be extremely intelligent but look at the world through a completely different "lens" than we do.

Look a this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_bipolar_disorder

Notice something? In the past a lot of these people during major mind altering states dove into their work. Famous artists, sculptors, painters, composers. The problem we have today is that the arts and crafts have died because our schools don't teach them. No one goes to school to be a sculptor. So these people end up in places they shouldn't be with no outlet.

Again, this is societies problem. Investing in mental health awareness, education and treatment should be one of the top priorities in this country.

I encourage anyone to watch this TED talk about education:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

There's a reason this country isn't "winning" at anything anymore. We ignore major societal problems and argue about stupid shit instead. More people per capita in prisons than any other 1st world, or 3rd world, country. Lower education levels, obesity ... on and on and on.

In this specific case I'm not saying we baby this guy at all. I don't necessarily even care if they execute him. I would prefer they keep him locked up until they can determine what he has, if nothing... death row. If he is affected by something .. I say we lock him up and learn from it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    yote

yote Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Ext Cab TRD Off-Road
    Study him while he's on death row and then off to the death penalty

7. Mar 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    No, your comments are just "so off the mark it's just stupid, silly, and ignorant." We've known about the mental and/or physical illnesses (twisted minds, drug use, etc) for decades, and, in some cases, even centuries. The questions have long focused on what to do about it. For example, how do we discover which specific illnesses lead to crime, how do we identify those individuals (from the rest of the wackos) before a crime, and how do we prevent those eventual crimes. And then there's the problem of the great many without clear mental & physical disorders.

Since these types of crimes (twisted, crazy, ones) appear to be steadily on the rise, not decline, one could very easily argue what we're doing now (your claims of recent great treatment for manic depression, drugs, etc) isn't working. In fact, absolutely nothing we've tried so far has worked - either to reliably identify potential criminals or prevent their crimes. Indeed, in a free society, that might not even be possible (one has a right to be a bit wacko).

Whatever the case, I can't see any real benefit at this point to keeping even more twisted criminals around to study. Instead, we need get them out of the way, if for no reason other than to minimize the impact on our pocketbooks.

8. Mar 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    My choice wasn't on the list. Murderers should suffer for each of their victims, and then be put to death. Eye for an eye.

9. Mar 15, 2013 at 4:20 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Ignorance. Educate yourself sir.

Considering we just passed legislation that forces employers to treat mental health care from the neck up exactly the same as we do care for the neck down I would say we are making leaps and bounds of improvements in the last 2 years alone. A large percentage of employer sponsored health care plans didn't allow any form of counseling or mental health care coverage before 2013.... So tell me, how hard have we tried?

"Specifically, only 18% of the United States received adequate mental health services, the fewest percentage of people in any high-income country to receive adequate services." http://voices.yahoo.com/us-lacks-adequate-mental-health-services-543064.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361004/

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/777719

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/12/17/why-cant-america-care-for-mentally-ill/

Medicine prescribed 5 years ago for several major mental health issues is the same medicine they have been using since the 1960's, and earlier. These specific types of crimes, mass murder, may be on the rise? but violent crime in general is way down. I would ask, are they really on the rise? Or is the media just paying more attention to them? I can show you cases of mass murder in this country dating back hundreds of years.

The problem is you can't force people to take medications or seek counseling. Many of them just can't afford it. A person with Bi-Polar could easily pay over 1k a month in prescriptions and sessions with a psychologist and psychiatrist. Also, the counselors aren't all that empowered to do anything when they think something major is wrong.

Why? Our society doesn't know what to do with these people.

The U.S.A. is WAY behind the curve compared to other countries in the world in this area specifically. Let's just keep putting them in prison! And then complain about the costs associated with doing so!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  10. Mar 15, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    was a time when there was effort made to incarcerate the mentally unstable (insane) before they could do something harmful to society.

the politically correct movement changed that. today...one can not hit their kids, so locking up the insane sure as hell is not happening. heck, they don't even call them insane asylums or mental institutions anymore.

the world is full of evil. the politically correct secular crowd refuses to acknowledge it. to them...everything is a "gray area". everyone is a victim.

11. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Locking up the insane would entail determining who is untreatably mentally ill and who has treatable mental illness which would require more effort aimed towards and focused on mental health issues , no ?

I think we've moved beyond the days of all mental health issues require incarceration , would you not agree ?

12. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    Damned that secular crowd. ;)

13. Mar 15, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, but... You're not asking me.

14. Mar 15, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    No jail time for this screw ball, we don't need to waste tax money on this. He needs to be roped up behind a truck and dragged along the asphalt until his skin peels off. Feed him his own entrails, I don't know.

15. Mar 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    Do you really even know what happened? Or are you just buying up what you've been told you should believe? Is it possible that you are? And if so - if you're buying the line of bullshit you're being sold - which in fact is the only part of the story your supposed to distracted by - then aren't you in fact a potential murder for reacting so strongly to something you don't know anything about? You sound quite criminally insane by many standards. . .And just think, you're 17, hmmmm can't go anywhere but down from here. You better watch out for what you wish for - you just might get it - in spades.

I just want the truth. I think he did it - but I want the real story. And as usual we're not getting it. There's more holes in this story than a piece of swiss cheese in the vatican. So calm down boys and girls and quit reacting to something out of fear and think errr. . . wait, don't think. . .everythings ok. . .consume. . .watch tv. . .eat this horse. . .err hamburger. . .cough cough --- weeeezeee. . . drag. . . smoke. . . weeezee. . . consume. . . . . . . . .

16. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    First off who are you? You want the truth, it doesnt get any better than catching the guy with the gun in hand. Real story? He shot up a movie theatre and made life hell for the rest of us. Gun bans are all the rage partly cause of this guy. Everything is OK in your world, not alot of us.

17. Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    :crazy:

Put down the pipe.

18. Mar 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    That's what I was thinking, not only that but wasn't his house filled with more guns and the plans of the aurora shooting?

19. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    Dude planned to kill several people watching batman, did so, and will now get off the hook with the classic route "insanity."
    So in my opinion, he deserves what he dealt.

But hell what do I know, I am just 17;)

20. Mar 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    The gun ban bullshit thats going on shouldn't surprise anyone. Feinstein and others are just using tragedies like this shooting to further their own agenda. Its sickening to think that they saw this and Sandy hook as an opportunity...

Products Discussed in

To Top