1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do You Have Rust? West Coast...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Navelfunk, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Dec 7, 2015 at 3:42 PM
    Navelfunk

Navelfunk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    Cap, incorrect rims & tires, stereo...
    Revised: 12/12/15

:anonymous:I don't like having to post this, since I love my truck & actually still want to get another Taco, after all is said and done...:der:
    So, my truck's got the sickness...:sick: In September I had it inspected by a Toyota dealer tech, and he marked a few places on my frame and said it was too much rust for a 2011, suggested buy-back, but he can only make suggestions. Toyota turned it into a Lemon Law claim, and denied it citing "salt air" as the culprit. After that, I sent an email directly to Toyota CEO Jim Lentz, showing pictures of my rust. In November Toyota's Corporate office sent a Toyota factory field tech to inspect the truck. He went well beyond even my OCD, and he concluded there was too much rust for a 2011, I did have a valid claim, and it couldn't be repaired to original spec. Although he said that, in the end Toyota Corporate made the ultimate decision. Toyota called me yesterday and stood by their "salt air" defense.
    Toyota is in breach of contract by not honoring the 5 yr. Corrosion Perforation Protection Guarantee. I reminded them of their legal obligation, and they said "good luck with your future endeavors, James" :luvya:... Toyota did however, offer me $2k if I purchased or leased a brand new Toyota.:mad: I bought my truck new in Huntington Beach, CA. I've been up here just over a year, and is still under the useless extended warranty...

My rust isn't the worst, but if your 2nd Gen. is just as bad or worse, you need to file a claim with Toyota, or the NHTSA.
    It shouldn't just be a normal thing to have a less than 10 yr. old truck with rust everywhere. My attorney said I had to make a quick call and file a complaint with the NHTSA & the FTC. Less than 5 min. for both, to file a complaint to try and get an actual official vehicle buy-back or recall in effect. And you don't have to have actual holes going through any part of the vehicle for the 5 yr. Corrosion Perforation Protection Guarantee, to be valid. CORROSION, is my truck's main issue, not perforations. And there shouldn't have been any Lemon Law claim filed either, as that expires after 3 yr. 36,000 mi.
    The requirements for the current frame rust recall on the east coast do not apply in any way to the west coast. The west coast would never suffer that much rust damage, as we do not salt our roads. My point is, if my 5 yr. old truck is starting to rust without salted roads and just "air", then it's of absolutely no surprise the salted road states trucks are turning into scrap...

IMG_2456.jpg IMG_2460.jpg IMG_2672.jpg IMG_2667.jpg IMG_2655.jpg IMG_2636.jpg IMG_2622.jpg IMG_2609.jpg IMG_2598.jpg IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2548.jpg IMG_2547.jpg IMG_2546.jpg IMG_2538.jpg IMG_2531.jpg IMG_2506.jpg IMG_2453.jpg IMG_2449.jpg
    Thanks for reading, TW!

Last resort... If you feel Toyota hasn't done enough to fix your truck or believe it's unsafe, call the below #'s.
    NHTSA: (888)327-4236
    FTC: (877)382-4357

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Dec 7, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Dec 7, 2015 at 4:39 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I think most new trucks on the lot up here have almost as much rust as that

My truck looked like that after the first winter

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    omega supreme

omega supreme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD sport,lb
    None
    That's scary. That truck is only 4 years old!!! No truck is safe. I thought this wasn't an issue anymore?? Sad.

Paging Volcom!! Why is this happening???

Actually I will be inspecting the frame methodically after this winter. If I see any rust,, going to complain.

5. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:13 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, my 2011 is about the same. Yours looks a little bit worse, but not by much.
    I am on the right coast. Not salt spray from oceans here, but from salt from winter road treatment. :(

6. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:18 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Toyota frames and coating suck. It's an unfortunate fact. Your rust is minuscule at best, by comparison.
    Don't treat it like a refrigerator and keep on it and you'll be fine. My truck has more rust converter spray paint than factory powdercoat. At this point the only thing holding my truck together is rust, duct tape, zip ties, and dried up crusted coors light.

TOY4JMEBOOZE and tacoma16 like this.
  7. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:21 PM
    yesmar

yesmar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramsey
    Harrisburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    A couple cars
    I hope my truck looks that good in 5 years! my 13 was worse then that after 2 winters...

nv529 likes this.
  8. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:28 PM
    Shwaa

Shwaa Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC Prerunner TRD Off-Road
    My brothers 2009 is a disaster, 10x worse than yours. he lives on the coast near San Francisco. Salt air is brutal. His LEER shell handle is rusted over as well. I told him to get the frame checked.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  9. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:33 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    Ok, I already said my rust wasn't the worst, here... Having that said, anyone with worse rust and a newer truck should be having Toyota fix your rust while it's still under warranty & 5 yr. rust perforation protection guarantee. It's not something to just live with. I know full well that others here have 100 times worse rust, and I'm trying to get people to realize there is something Toyota needs to do about it. I paid for a product that came with a guarantee against rust, and Toyota illegally broke that term when I made a legitimate claim of a "Toyota verified" rusting product.

File IFR and DrFunker like this.
  10. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:36 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    [​IMG]
    Agree. Cheers.

11. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    :cheers:

12. Dec 7, 2015 at 5:53 PM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    I live in a small town in Central Ontario, outside the Greater Toronto Area, where heavy sand and road salt is applied to the roads 6 months of the year. Sometimes the vehicles are so heavily encrusted with salt that you can't even tell what make and model they are. I hope my truck looks as good as yours in 4 years. I don't see anything in the photos to be concerned about from a safety standpoint. One thing that we do around here is oil spray vehicles, sometimes 2X/year. My truck is dealer rustproofed, extended rust warranty, and I plan to spray it with oil. If I can get 10 years out of it, even if it looks rough in its last 5 years, then I"ll be ready for a new one, and it won't owe me a cent.

13. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:02 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    I was born in Detroit, I am fully aware of the menace of road salting... The point I'm trying to get across, is that my truck was deemed "too much rust" by a Toyota Factory Field Tech. If that's the case for me, then surely, it's going to be the case for much more severe rust issues on other TW members & the general public's trucks. Your new truck comes with this guarantee upon purchase. I don't know how Canada handles these issues...

14. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:09 PM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    Strange. Your frame is almost bare. My 2007 has a sticky, waxy black coating sprayed all over it and no rust at all. Spending a 5 years in New Orleans and the rest in Virginia Beach by the ocean.
    I have surface rust of suspension components but nothing else.

Fritz

15. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:23 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
  16. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    I don't think you understand what the word "perforation" means.

None of the rust you've pictured looks like it's even close to rusting a hole through your frame.

17. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:34 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    I type out responses, but I know it will have no impact on certain people (dense), so I just delete them and shake my head. My perforations Vs. "cold state" perforations are not the same. Everything the factory tech documented, supported the fact my truck needs body and frame repair. Regardless, of TW member opinion...

18. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Oh Christ...

DoorDing likes this.
  19. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    Navelfunk

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    I'm relaying my encounter with Toyota. By their standards, there is a verified problem with my truck that they are choosing to ignore. Weather or not you agree with my stance or me in general, is not my concern. I'm trying to help anyone else out who is having issues dealing with rust in general.

20. Dec 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    jberry813

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Screw your double d. I have surface rust on my truck living in an area that has snow on the road 4 months out of the year and its been verified by a guy who barely makes over minimum wage!

yesmar and DoorDing like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top