1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you put weight in back of your truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by harshest, Dec 19, 2008.

?

Do you put weight in the bed

1. Yes

40.4%
  2. No

20.2%
  3. No need I have 4x4.

39.4%
  1. Oct 5, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    t-com09

t-com09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 single cab 4x4 sr5
    Bilstien 5100's yellow foglights toolbox pop n' lock
    i got a 4x4, but a little weight in the bed never hurts

2. Oct 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM
    aww1970

aww1970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD Long Box
    on the snowy/shitty days I just make the ol' lady ride in the back. Plenty of weight.

3. Oct 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    In addition to the weight of the Snug Top canopy I use a couple bags of sand.

4. Oct 6, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    WTF? :confused:This is about added weight just for traction in winter, not if you ever carry anything in the bed.

5. Oct 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    xsvtoyz

xsvtoyz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    03 Pre-Runner Inprogress
    HID (ACA)/ Web cams/ Header/Full Custom exhaust/ K&N FIPK II/SuperCharger
    winter is coming! I usually just put the wood I was unable to split or too lazy to work that hard to split in the back. the odd shaped and knotted pieces till its across the bottom and call it weight. Seems to work well enough. 2wd pre-runner is not your friend when it ice storms here in Ok. Supercharger is going to make it a little more challenging.
    Slow and steady.
    I always wonder if you really start to lose it does the weight start to play against you? as in an object in motion tends to stay in motion thing?

6. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab

But this is a about adding weight for traction. Nothing to do with all show no go. I indeed use my truck. I carry a lot of stuff. But in the winter I find weight hurts with stopping distances. I still use my truck as it is intended and I'm like you, I hate when people buy a truck just for show :)

7. Oct 6, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    my dad purchased me a water bag that supposed to sit over your rear axle when driving through icy and snowy conditions...but I usually have my snowboard equipment all in the bed of the truck...I just throw it in 4x4 and I'm good to go...no weight added in the back of my bed...never used the water bag yet...its still in the package that it came in...haha

8. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:14 PM
    TL697

TL697 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I keep (4) 60lb tube sand bags between the bed extender and the tailgate...

I'm surprised how many of you say that you don't need ballast weight because you have 4 wheel drive...

My 4x4 truck handles 10x's better with the ballast in the bed...

I also live at 9500 feet in the CO mountains...

9. Oct 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    keep rpm.s low / lower tire psi. I'm 40 in summer , go 28-32 in winter or so,/ Snow tires / full tank when reasonable. /4wd.
    Weight is good too , but try the easy stuff too.

10. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:08 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I don't because it just slides around. :rolleyes: Don't have a bed extender, was too lazy last winter to build anything to hold it, and was fine without the weight. If it started getting squirrely I just put it in 4wd.

My *real* problem in the winter is stopping! The ABS sucks on snow/ice/sand/gravel or any other loose material. My tires would start acting like a stone skipping over water if the ABS kicked in. So adding enough weight to notice (180lbs wasn't enough apparently) would make things even worse I thought. Now I have an ABS kill switch so if the roads are iffy I can slide to a stop instead of the ABS slide-roll-slide-roll-slide-rolling me into a ditch or another car. :rolleyes:

11. Oct 7, 2009 at 3:34 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    when you can't stop because abs kicks in(been there too btw), you really need to think of getting traction so it can work, think chains or snow tires. There is good all season and all terrain tires rated for severe winter driving.

12. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    I'm not going to chain up every day. Not when I drive on mostly paved roads. Not even sure if that's legal. And the problem isn't just snow. I've noticed it on gravel, loose dirt, snow, ice, wet asphalt sometimes.... I normally just threshold brake to keep the ABS from kicking in, but sometimes when I'm braking for a stop sign, red light, or car a few feet in front I don't have time or space for that. It's just easier to flip the switch and lock the brakes up if needed. Generally I don't even lock the brakes up. I can just apply more brake pressure than I could with the ABS enabled because it releases the brakes sooner than it really needs to.

I'd like to get a set of chains for winter off roading since the only "trails" are seasonal use roads that don't get plowed. After a couple warm days they turn to ice trails. I made it half way up one, but almost slid all the way back down. Chains and the ABS turned off woulda been much better.
    :D

13. Oct 7, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    yea, i was generalizing based on the thread being winter/weight.
    I watch people go up Mt.Hood for winter sports, and almost every weekend they are not ready for the grade/pass areas. Some are so stupid and rude,they go around someone who slid into the guard rail, because they know if they stop they cant get going again. The problem is they go into opposing traffic to get by.

14. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    I don't live in the mountain so I can't comment on the steep grades that people in the mountains experience, however in Grand Forks the city doesn't use salt. The roads become hard pack snow/ice. I've used Blizzaks exclusively for the last 4-5 winters, the difference between all season's and dedicated snow tires is tremendous.

Many people around town use sandbags to add weight to ass end of their pickups. Personally, I think it's stupid. It's a band aid solution to the real problem, the wrong tread compound for conditions. People add the weight to increase traction for acceleration and at the same time increase their braking distances. What's more important in winter, stopping or accelerating?

15. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    After doing a 360 on the express way I no longer keep my truck in 2wheel when it snows.... any accumulation and 4x4 it is.... i guess weight would have kept me from doing the 360...

16. Oct 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    that hardpack snow/ice is what gets em , the grade is about 7% which is quite common. I'm using one from Les Schwab called Wintercat for a snow tire, havent had em on that hardpack yet to judge em, but i agree with you on the dedicated winter treads.

17. Oct 7, 2009 at 7:07 PM
    AlerAero

AlerAero Equipment MFG

Member:
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma V6 SR5 4x4
    BakFlip Folding Tonneau, Locking bed storage compartments, Bug/rock guard, Anytime backup cam mod, Hitch + wiring
    Up till last winter I had a Ranger 2wd truck. She weighed 1000# less then my nice new Tacoma so I'm not sure how my new truck will be like but shes 4wd.

A few years back a got a hold of some solid steel drain grates that were being taken out of an old maitnance building. They are 3" thick by foot wide and 18 inchs long. Not sure what they weigh but its got to be a good 80# each I usualy have 2 of them in the back in a plywood-2x4 tray tied down. I also have a tool box in the back about 70# all together it did a great job!

I'll see what happens this winter, how she handles but as I am in Northern-most part of Vermont and travel into Canada alot I will have weight in the back, but don't think i'll need more then 2 as my Bakflip adds about 80# and I will have my tool box. Before I only had a soft tonneu on the old truck so I will play around and see what I need!

18. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    redrx8

redrx8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I live in northern Ontario so we get a lot of snow. I currently have a cap, so I don't need extra weight. Be careful with concrete blocks, make sure they are well secured in you bed, because if you ever get in an accident they can come flying at you through the cab or at anyone else in the vicinity of the accident.

19. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    Foster9091

Foster9091 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upperco, MD
    Vehicle:
    01 Doublecab TRD
    deckplate mod, floor mats, hi lift, scanquage, and 2 in front leveling kit
    i do but just a little bit

20. Oct 24, 2009 at 9:36 AM
    altarossco

altarossco Active Member

Member:
    San Ramon, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab pre runner
    I put 100lbs. or so just because the ride is so much better.

Products Discussed in

To Top