1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Do you tip when getting take-out?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Aggie97, Sep 24, 2010.

?

Do you tip when getting take-out?

Poll closed Oct 24, 2010.
  1. Always

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Never!

53 vote(s)
    68.8%
  3. I sometimes do because I feel the pressure of the tip jar

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    OP, if you're annoyed at take out restaurants having tip jars on the counter... Don't ever visit Tijuana, Mx. Since I live in San Diego, I travel down to and through Tijuana (TJ) all the time. These people are ridiculous!! It seems like they want (really, it's force) to do everything for you. (i'm surprised the don't have people wiping one's ass after they take a shit)

- There are security guards at almost all parking lots (small or large) and they want tip for helping you back out.
    - The majority of gas stations are NOT self serve, so you have to tip the person filling up your tank.
    - At just about every intersection there are (kids, girls, men, women) that will break dance, juggle shit, etc, or just look miserable and ask for money.
    - When at the border wait to cross back, it's OVERRUN by people who want to clean your windshield. They no longer ask if you want it cleaned, they're just walking by then BAM! a squirt of f*cking water/soap on your windshield and they start cleaning it. If you keep telling them no, they sort of wipe the water off but leave it WAY worse than before.

Tijuana is KING city for tips... and I f*kn hate that.

Not that any of you are planning on going down into TJ:D:p

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Metallikatz3

Metallikatz3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB OR
    Always in process
    I tip for take out when the person handling my order gets paid as a bartender or waiter and relies on tips. My girlfriend is a bartender and has usually 5-10 takout orders per night that she has to prepare and spend her time on so in situations like that I feel that it is right to tip, same with a take-out 6 pack.

But counter staff at a pizza place or whatever get paid to work the counter, which is at least minimum wage. As opposed to a waiter that gets paid maybe $2.50 and then relies on tips

3. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    tooth sleuth

tooth sleuth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite mica trd offroad
    5100's (front 1.75) all around, rear leaf TSB. Bestop supertop, OEM bed mat. Pioneer 3200 HU, Pioneer GM 9500f amp, Eclipse SC6900 Front, Rear Eclipse 5 1/4, Marv box with Arc 10 sub. Dampened all doors and back wall with BXTII and ensolite, Supertop, blacked out emblems, 2011 grille, bedmat
    no, why pay more money for something that you're already paying for? as for sitting down, i always tip 18% or a little more unless the service is piss poor

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Been there, done that! Not that I wanna go back, but it was a hell of a fun time.

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

That is another good point. Here tipped employees are payed at least minimum wage plus tips. 20 minutes from here in Idaho tipped employees are allowed to be payed less than minimum wage. I mean WTF is that about? Either way that can play into if people tip or not on take out.

6. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    it's a WHOLE other world... I'm sure you know.;)

7. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:21 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    Not for take-out. I don't get tips for doing my job. I must admit, I'm a real prick when it comes to people who have a tip jar out or come out and ask for the tip. In the case of a tip jar I usually look at it and walk away. When someone has there hand out I usually shake it.lol I went on a cruise last week and was already to give the bus driver a real nice tip for getting our bags off the bus and onto the cart and I turned around and he had his hand out and said your welcome. I said thank you and turned around and walked away. I refuse to give money to anyone who has the nerve to ask for it cause they think I owe it to them. I work too hard for my money. On the other hand, I'm very generous with waiters / waitresses. At a sit down restaurant I always tip 20% (unless the service is poor) and I even go higher if the wait staff is going out of their way.

8. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
  9. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    One of my favorite tip scams is the old guy standing in the men's room at nicer restaurants who gives you a hand towel to dry your hands (and offers you a squirt of some stinky ass cologne). On his tray of assorted cologne bottles is also a tip jar. Seriously? Why would I tip a guy who stands there, watches me piss, then hands me a hand towel that I could have just as easily picked up myself? However, I have to admit that I haven't seen these people for a good year or more. Maybe people wised up to this scam.

10. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here's another tipping related question...

Do you tip (when you do tip) on the taxed or pre-taxed amount? I always make it a point to tip on the pre-taxed amount (if we dine in). Even though it isn't much, I don't get the point of tipping on the taxes along with the cost of the food. For me, it's just the principle of it. It just seems like a good way for a server to pad their tips a little more.

11. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

He needs to be tipped to all of the things he sees, smells and hears in the course of his day. Kind of like hazard pay. :laugh:

12. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Aggie97

Aggie97 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner
    custom tan leather seats, bed track system bike rack, Vision Warrior wheels, smittybilt nerf bars, Extang BlackMax tonneau cover.
    I forgot about those guys! What a crock a shit that was...hand me a paper towel in the bathroom after washing my hands because it's so hard to grab one myself.

That had to be one of the worst jobs ever though...hanging out in a restroom for hours and hours.

13. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    It's even worse if you were one of these guys at the titty bar. You can forget about tips then.

14. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    my gf works as a take out girl for a restaurant called oreganos. Before I met her i never tipped but after we started dating and I realized she got HUGE tips, I started tipping 5-10% on take out orders

15. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    Here's a tip for the waiters/ waitresses out there...

If you want to see a bigger tip from me, try something like this. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this as going above and beyond... and it doesn't take much effort at all. It's little shit like this that will increase your tip take at the end of the night.

1) My wife and I went to Johnny Carino's (sp?). When you sit down, they bring you a loaf of bread. They bring a little cup of blended spices to mix with olive oil to dip the bread in. My wife really likes that blend of spices and told the waiter as much. Without asking, at the end of the meal (in our to-go bag), he brought us a container full of that spice blend to take home with us. He got a really good tip!

2) At Chili's, at the end of our meal, the waitress brought our 1 1/2 year old a small, free scoop of ice cream (she ok'd it with us before bringing it out). It didn't cost her anything, but she got a larger tip because of that.

It's little stuff like that that people notice. It's not that hard to do more than the basic duties of refilling drinks or bringing the food out while it's still warm.

16. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    jrichter09

jrichter09 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Gilroy, CA
    Never use tip jars. But if I receive any pennies back, I throw them in there. Not to be disrespectful, I just don't like taking them home.

17. Sep 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I do just cause. Only like $1 though.:cool:

18. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    Not usually. If it's a busy night and there's a bunch of other customers ordering and waiting on orders, I'm likely to tip a bit. If i make a ridiculous special request like: the number five, split into two boxes, one box with this, one box with that and some extra of this. Sometimes, I put change in the box.

19. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    the only time i do is if there is a tip jar and i dont want to carry any extra change in my pockets.

20. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I never tip fast food people but I tip about %20 at most meals unless the wait staff is an ass then I tip nothing and let the manager and waiter know.

And I tip the coffee people if they make a good drink.

Products Discussed in

To Top