1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dobinsons IMS Struts and Shocks - Adjustable Height Monotubes - 2nd/3rd Gen Tacomas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crikeymike, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Feb 5, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    Crikeymike

Crikeymike [OP] ExitOffroad.com Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    The cat got out of the bag recently about the new Dobinsons IMS shocks, so I'm starting this thread to give the details about these new struts from Dobinsons that are arriving in March 2020, and rear shocks coming later in 2020.

IMS
    I
    nternal reservoir
    Monotube
    Shocks

I guess IRMS sounded silly, and considering the already existing MRR (Monotube Remote Resi), a non-resi version didn't sound right either, this is the wording Dobinsons are going with.

In a nutshell, the IMS struts and shocks are almost the same as the MRR/MRA but with an IFP (Internal Floating Piston) inside the shock body with a small gas reservoir, and no external hose or reservoir. Same monotube body size, piston diameter, shaft thickness, and also the struts are height adjustable thanks to the fully threaded body. Super easy installation.
    These do not have any valving adjustment.

From the manufacturer:
    Dobinsons IMS Monotube Shock Absorbers are designed for next level performance over Twin Tube Shocks in those hot, harsh, demanding conditions. By utilising the Monotube design, Dobinsons IMS Shock Absorbers are able to resist fade far longer on corrugated roads, long or hard working 4WD trips, towing or racing conditions.

The larger 50 and 60mm high flow pistons reduce internal pressures, reduce the heat generated, transfer heat to the body for faster cooling and offer improved damping performance and vehicle control at higher shaft speeds on rough terrain and during big impacts. Threaded bodies on struts allow for fine tuning of height and offer further improvements in cooling.
    The micro-polished, hard chromed and heat treated shock shaft, CNC aluminium high flow race inspired piston, and DOM seamless tubing body provides the ultimate in performance and off-road durability.

Composite piston wear bands and a race style 3-stage sealing system offer the lowest levels of friction whilst maintaining durability and longevity. Dobinsons team of engineers spend hundreds of hours of testing and tuning
    the shim stacks and damping characteristics in each IMS Shock to ensure a balance of comfort, handling, vehicle control and offroad performance - Enjoy the ride

Features
    • Fully re-buildable and re-valvable
    • Zero shock fade in all terrains with full load
    • Direct, bolt-on replacement for easy fitment
    • Uses existing full range of coil springs and top mounts
    • Highest quality rubber bushings top and bottom for maximum NVH dampening
    • Corrosion resistant (EDP Surface Protection)
    • Heavy duty single piece lower leg
    • Enormous oil capacity
    • Heavy Duty 3 Stage FKM HNBR Sealing System for the ultimate in reliability
    • Race inspired hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston – for the ultimate in offroad handling
    • 56mm/2.2” Bodied Series - 50mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston - 50mm bore
    • 66mm/2.6” Bodied Series - 60mm hi-flow CNC 6061 Billet alloy piston - 60mm bore

The body size is 56mm with a 50mm piston for these vehicles:
    4th/5th Gen 4Runner
    2nd/3rd Gen Tacoma
    Lexus GX470 and GX460

The body size is 66mm with a 60mm piston for these vehicles:
    Land Cruiser 80, 100, and 200 series

Part numbers for 2nd and 3rd Gen Tacoma 2005+ IMS struts and shocks. Click on part number to see pricing and further details of each item. **SOLD IN PAIRS**
    IMS59-50220 - IMS Front Struts - suits 0-3.5" lift

**Edit 9/1/21** Just added the rears to the website today so that people can place backorders if they want.
    Specs are on each page there.

IMS59-50940 - Rear IMS for 0-3"
    https://exitoffroad.com/product/dobinsons-ims59-50940-monotube-ifp-rear-shocks-for-tacoma/
    (these have been made and are due at Christmas 2021)

IMS59-50941 - Rear IMS for 2-3.5" longer travel
    https://exitoffroad.com/product/dob...otube-ifp-long-travel-rear-shocks-for-tacoma/
    (Stock arrived 11/18/21)

Instructions on how to seat coil seat height with the adjustable collars: https://exitoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ExitOffroad.com-IMS_MRA-adjustment.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Npfx40VD3kM

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  2. Feb 5, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    northshore

northshore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '07 Sport AC
    OME 886 w/Nitros, JBA UCAs, Superbumps, Dakars w/Nitros, FJ Wheels w/ 265/75R16 MT Baja ATZ-P3, Shrockworks Sliders & Bumper w/Skids, URD Y-pipe, AFE Filter.
    What is the extended and collapsed length of the rear shock, approximately how much droop is expected? Are they self-limiting for drop (like the OME) or will they need straps?

slomatt and JoshS like this.
  3. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:25 PM
    JoshS

JoshS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Is that last screenshot the full kit they're going to be offering? What leaf packs, and do you know the total price?

4. Feb 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    JoshS likes this.
  5. Feb 6, 2020 at 3:11 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Sorry, looks like I jumped the gun there. The part number I had was incorrect, they are working on a new rear shock at the moment, but a part number and specs for it aren't out. They will be longer than the GS59-940 from Dobinsons most likely and in IMS format. More info will come on those later in the year when they're released.

6. Feb 21, 2020 at 2:43 PM
    '14RC

'14RC WA State

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Regular Cab 5MT
    2" Lift & 32" tires w/ Camping Setup (see details) Suspension: Dobinson 2" Coils (PN: C59-316) 4x Bilstein 5100's (base setting) SPC Upper Control Arms Deaver J66 Leaf Springs Ride-Rite Airbags Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Poly Leaf Spring Bushing Camping: SnugTop Canopy ARB awning Built a Camping Shelf in the Bed Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Basket Interior: Bucket Seat Conversion Acoustically Insulated Interior Added Cruise Control Rear Storage Organizers Traction: Yellow Wire Mod Alloy's with 265/75/16 Towing: Aftermarket Class III Tow Hitch Trailer Wiring Brake Controller (wired, not installed) Misc: ECGS Bearing NH Oil Undercoating
    @Crikeymike

Super interested in the new front shocks. My question is about re-valving--is that something Dobinson's would help plan? i.e. if I wanted to go in and change valving, could I order a shim-stack directly from you guys, or get an engineer's recommendation for how to change the shims for my liking?

7. Feb 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM
    will.i.was

will.i.was Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SC 2.5
    I was eyeing this the other day. Surprised there wasn't much info on it. T4r seems to have good reviews. I especially like the screw type coilover over the notches that bilsteins have.

Biscuits likes this.
  8. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:29 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Yes, Dobinsons will be doing the shock rebuilding and all that if required. The equipment is getting put into place now to be operational pretty soon. It would be handled by Dobinsons directly, however I don't think re-valving will be very common, especially with the additional cost that would go along with it.

9. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    '14RC

'14RC WA State

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Regular Cab 5MT
    2" Lift & 32" tires w/ Camping Setup (see details) Suspension: Dobinson 2" Coils (PN: C59-316) 4x Bilstein 5100's (base setting) SPC Upper Control Arms Deaver J66 Leaf Springs Ride-Rite Airbags Archive Garage Hammer Hangers Poly Leaf Spring Bushing Camping: SnugTop Canopy ARB awning Built a Camping Shelf in the Bed Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Basket Interior: Bucket Seat Conversion Acoustically Insulated Interior Added Cruise Control Rear Storage Organizers Traction: Yellow Wire Mod Alloy's with 265/75/16 Towing: Aftermarket Class III Tow Hitch Trailer Wiring Brake Controller (wired, not installed) Misc: ECGS Bearing NH Oil Undercoating
    hey Mike thanks for the reply. So does it mean that the shocks are not intended to be rebuilt by the user? I'm Iooking for an option I can make changes to myself if needed.

10. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Oh you can, but there's a $5000+ machine being sent to the US to rebuild the shocks, so I don't think it's something that one would want to try and do at home. I know I wouldn't touch it myself and I've been working on cars forever. The way I see it, it would be like jumping in to change your engine's piston rings real quick... The shocks would need to be fully disassembled to change the valving. A lot of people are choosing the 3-way adjustable versions so that they can externally adjust and dial in the ride that they want.

11. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    JoshS

JoshS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Any updates on the rear IMS'?

Gingerbeard Man likes this.
  12. Feb 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    No, no news for Tacoma rear IMS, only the MRA at this time.

13. Feb 22, 2020 at 8:02 AM
    '14RC

'14RC WA State

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 Regular Cab 5MT
    Okay I got ya, right on. Yeah I agree diving into your shocks is a commitment most don't want to make, but good to know the option is there for those who like that sort of thing. Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  14. Feb 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    '14RC[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Mar 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
  16. Mar 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
  17. Mar 3, 2020 at 2:06 PM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    They're due at the end of this month. Just hoping there aren't more container and shipping delays overseas.

Casper66[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 3, 2020 at 2:13 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    Thanks i am starting to consider upgrading the front as what I have now isn’t holding the weight so well so just kinda investigating options

19. Mar 19, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    Crikeymike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, Florida
    Stock arrived today (early) for the IMS59-50220 front adjustable height struts!!

Any existing orders will ship out today or tomorrow.

20. Mar 19, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    JoshS

JoshS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    Looking forward to seeing some photos of them installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top