1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anyone have any problems wheeling with their long beds?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Road LessTraveled, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Jun 6, 2016 at 1:39 PM
    Road LessTraveled

Road LessTraveled [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4WD Double Cab Short Bed
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, LED bar, HID Hi's and Lows. I am planning on trading mine in for a 2016 or newer depending on when i gather all the information I need on this site to build my truck. Seems like every month I learn something new. Future mods so far: Front: - 16" King extended coilovers with remote reservoir shocks - Total Chaos Heim Pivot UCA's & LCA's - 6" BDS lift, just the Spidles & Crossmembers - T100 front axles - ReadyLift tie rods - SS extended brake lines - Larger calipers - Pelfreybilt bumper - WARN® 9.5cti-s winch - Glassworks front fender 6" rise and 4" bulge - Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood - Carbon fiber hood pins Rear: - 4" Alcan full leaf pack with Orbit Eye - King extended shocks with remote reservoir - Pelfreybilt rear shock relocator - ATO 6" shackle flip kit - ARB rear air locker - Rear differential breather mod - Pelfreybilt rear bumper - SS extended brake lines - Glassworks rear fenders with 4" rise and 4" bulge Misc: - 4.56 gears - One-piece driveshaft - RCI skids for transmission, transfer case, fuel tank, and rear differential - B.A.M.F. rock sliders - 17x10 rims with 4.5 backspacing - 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT - Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - 50" LED light bar - Several Cree LED pods - Rear camera anytime mod - Underbody LED lights - Green HID's - Green LED Fogs - Aluminum camper shell - Line-X the whole truck
    I have a Double Cab Short Bed, and I'm thinking of upgrading to a Double Cab Long Bed. The extra foot in the bed could really come in handy with large loads.

I'm just wondering if any of you out there have had any problems keeping up on the trails with the Short Beds, being that you have an extra 13" in your wheelbase? I've never seen a Double Cab Long Bed wheeling in person.

2. Jun 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your break over angle just gets worse, it will bottom out more without question. But if wheeling is just moderate bush roads no biggie. But if you really wheel the long bed is not your friend. Long bed with access cab would be more ideal for wheeling..

3. Jun 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM
    Skootter14

Skootter14 Upon my signal, unleash Hell

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport 4D LB 4x4 Metallic Grey
    "a lot of stupid stuff" -Wife

theres quite a few. you have to be a better driver ( :boink: IMO haha jk) and some turns may take a reverse or two and I rely on my sliders to do their job around turns and trees. If you're smart its not bad.

scocar and travel_taco like this.
  4. Jun 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM
    fishfinder

fishfinder Whoever dies with the most toys wins

Member:
    First Name:
    Mikey
    Santa Barbara
    Vehicle:
    2015 MT DCLB
    CBI armor, Kings, 35s, Lockers
    I've never been left behind by short bed guys! I highly suggest getting solid skids and sliders, because you will high center more often than them, you'll just have to drag your ass over some stuff that short bed guys don't. Don't let the length intimidate you.... hehe

JukemJake, surfnmoto2 and Skootter14 like this.
  5. Jun 6, 2016 at 2:04 PM
    Road LessTraveled

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrains, LED bar, HID Hi's and Lows. I am planning on trading mine in for a 2016 or newer depending on when i gather all the information I need on this site to build my truck. Seems like every month I learn something new. Future mods so far: Front: - 16" King extended coilovers with remote reservoir shocks - Total Chaos Heim Pivot UCA's & LCA's - 6" BDS lift, just the Spidles & Crossmembers - T100 front axles - ReadyLift tie rods - SS extended brake lines - Larger calipers - Pelfreybilt bumper - WARN® 9.5cti-s winch - Glassworks front fender 6" rise and 4" bulge - Carbon Creations carbon fiber hood - Carbon fiber hood pins Rear: - 4" Alcan full leaf pack with Orbit Eye - King extended shocks with remote reservoir - Pelfreybilt rear shock relocator - ATO 6" shackle flip kit - ARB rear air locker - Rear differential breather mod - Pelfreybilt rear bumper - SS extended brake lines - Glassworks rear fenders with 4" rise and 4" bulge Misc: - 4.56 gears - One-piece driveshaft - RCI skids for transmission, transfer case, fuel tank, and rear differential - B.A.M.F. rock sliders - 17x10 rims with 4.5 backspacing - 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT - Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers - 50" LED light bar - Several Cree LED pods - Rear camera anytime mod - Underbody LED lights - Green HID's - Green LED Fogs - Aluminum camper shell - Line-X the whole truck
    Thanks for the reply. Getting high centered and braking the drive shaft was the one thing I was worried about. The LBs definitely seem more useful off the trails. Wish more people would post more videos wheeling with their LB's. I've only seen a couple posted, and one guy was running 37's, which would kill my gas mileage if I had those on my daily driver.

6. Jun 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM
    RKCRUZA

RKCRUZA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Placerville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro in the Garage!
    Had my Pro out to the Grand Canyon and it was the largest rig on our trip. Definitely tight where we had a lot of weaving in and out of trees and such. If it was 13" longer it would have been a PITA! Mainly depends on the trails you intend to drive. As stated, break over can become an issue but also the sheer length will come in to play if you frequent tight trails. I've spotted way to many rigs through the Rubicon in my years of running trail for the TLCA Rubithon. Width with added length causes issues, but if you are willing to take it slow and not let folks push you you can wheel with little or no damage. When my 40 had issues a couple of years ago we took an 80 series wagon on 33's with sliders in to the Springs and back out with 0 damage (OK tiny scratch on the rear flares from the same rock in and out), but we took over 5 hours to make a trip I do in under 2 in my 40.

7. Jun 6, 2016 at 2:14 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Well obviously. I've seen 2 long beds (so far) that have bobbed their bed.

8. Jun 6, 2016 at 2:31 PM
    Road LessTraveled

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Here's one video where a long bed looks like it's about to bottom out where most short beds wouldn't have a problem, and he's using 37's.

9. Jun 6, 2016 at 3:23 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Haha well when you cet a crawl box and front and rear lockers and 37's then your trail limo can do that!

10. Jun 6, 2016 at 3:30 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Out here in SoCal there are a lot of trails that would be especially difficult (if not impossible) for a long bed, like the Lockwood trail leading to the Miller Jeep trail and all of it's narrow, tight switchbacks. But there are a lot too that are more wide open. Really just depends on what you prefer to wheel on, but you'll be more limited in a long bed, no doubt.

11. Jun 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    LEXICON

LEXICON born where the prairies meet the rockies

Member:
    First Name:
    Courtney
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016DCLBBLACKTACOMATRDSPORT4X4PREMIUM
    Nothing worthy
    Haven't had too much trouble yet. Couple weeks back had to turn around on a trail. About a 100 point turn it seemed.. Lol
    This trip I almost got high centred on super narrow trails.

DCLB

dylmatik likes this.
  12. Jun 6, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    Launch21v

Launch21v Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD sport dclb 4x4 tech pack w/jbl white
    That's been my only thing that I found taking my truck off road. Switch backs are a little tight but who cares. Back up once or twice and you're fine. You can't beat how a long bed looks either.

13. Jun 6, 2016 at 4:46 PM
    Skootter14

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    Thats robertocristo (TW SN) and it was when those of us in TN went to AOP (adventure offroad park). He JUST chopped his truck, you can see his build page, went LT and flatbed(ish). He and I were the 2 trail limos in the group. hes got a sick build but now that truck is pretty much just a crawler.

AND he can drive the shit outa that truck haha

14. Jun 6, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    that's more like a dirt road than wheeling....

15. Jun 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM
    Road LessTraveled

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I was just checking out Levi's page (Robertocritser). Looks like driving a LB was too much of a pain. He chopped the sh** out of it. Paying that extra 3 grand for the LB option just went down the drain.

[​IMG]

After seeing the trucks on the big island, I can't help but want to build mine up 6" like theirs. They can definitely wheel the hell out of them too. So far for a LB, (Honey)'s (SN) truck is looking the best so far for a 2016. Custom King Shocks in the front, with full Alcan's in the rear. No spacers in front or back. Hopefully someday AMP will make their steps more beefy so they can be used as sliders.

[​IMG]

I'm really digging (orangehulk)'s (SN) front bumper too, and his 35" tires with this 6" setup on a 2016.

[​IMG]

beertimecontinuum likes this.
  16. Jun 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM
    beertimecontinuum

beertimecontinuum What's outside the simulation?

Member:
    First Name:
    Everett
    Ky,Earth,SolarSystem,MilkyWay,VirgoSupercluster
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite DCSB VEEEEEE 1.618
    FoxShox, Dirt King Heims, Chevy63s, 2UZ-FE V8 Flowmaster 40, Demello Front/DYF Rear w/Swigouts, BAMF sliders, DYFAF

17. Jun 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    Skootter14

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    I get what youre saying, just keep in mind if you are actually going to DD your truck like the other 98% of us do haha

18. Jun 8, 2016 at 2:30 PM
    Kyitty

Kyitty Mr. Beard

Member:
    Bozeman, MT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB Better Than TRD
    See Build Page
    Bottom out? On a Trail Limo?

Maybe that's how my skids got like this...

Driving a DCLB just means you have to get better at driving than everyone else. Pick your lines more carefully. Or just accept the fact that you're going to tear up your skid plates.

Most of all it means watching your drive line more carefully.

Moar Lift!!

1madmnky likes this.
  19. Jun 8, 2016 at 4:44 PM
    Road LessTraveled

Member:
    Jackson County, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Skids and sliders look like they will definitely be needed. Are the two skids in these pictures both RCI skids?

20. Jun 8, 2016 at 4:56 PM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    I have a DCLB PreRunner, bone stock. The 6 foot bed has been perfect, I've had plenty of times where the 5 foot bed wouldn't have been able to handle what I needed to haul.

As far as offroading, even bone stock this truck has OWNED the 1/2 mile gravel road I have to drive every couple months. ZERO issues, its a true blue offroading BEAST...even with the 10-20 potholes that road has.

Products Discussed in

To Top