1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does as Double Cab, Standard Tranny, 6ft Box, 4x4,Exist?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Rusty99, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    I wish :laugh: I would have had one n you would have not made this thread :thumbsup:

2. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada eh!
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner
    In search of the perfect Taco: Standard transmission, Double Cab, 6ft box. Not available in Canada, but rumored to be in the US.

Its hard to explain, others might know the feeling, but auto to me is just plain boring. I feel like the truck is taking me for a ride and less control in an auto. Especially in the crappy winter roads we get here.

A manual is a completely different experience. I'm part of the vehicle, I'm actively engaged in the drive, if ya know what I mean. I've had my heart set on a manual for years. Auto just isn't the same to me.

But I appreciate your insight. If you go to europe or asia, manually tranny is very very common.

3. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner
    In search of the perfect Taco: Standard transmission, Double Cab, 6ft box. Not available in Canada, but rumored to be in the US.
    I gotta have a double cab, I'm hoping to have kids down the road and a car seat just aint' gonna fit in that access cab very well if at all.

4. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner

If only it were that easy. It breaks my heart to think I'm gonna end up with yet another auto.

With no disrespect: Have you ever driven a manual tranny?

Its a whole other driving experience. You tell the truck what you want, not the other way around. Man I'm starting to sound like a preacher, lol

5. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    It is that easy , you said you needed a DCLB , it only comes in auto , I have one myself .

And , yes , I can drive a manual , my last vehicle was a 1990 Ford Ranger manual tranny I drove for 14 years prior to getting my Tacoma

6. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner

Any further insights into this? Have you seen one or know where I can start looking. I'm ok with SR5 trim aslong as I can get 4x4, DC, Long bed,

7. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    this looks like the most logical choice for you then

8. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:34 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The doublecab longbed doesn't come in manual in any configuration unless that has changed with the 2012's

9. Sep 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    Saskquatch11

Saskquatch11 TRUCK YEAH

Member:
    I believe the only way you could get a doublecab longbox with a manual transmission is with a 2012.

10. Sep 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner
    That would be great if the 2012's offered it, but I'm not holding my breath, fingers crossed :)

11. Sep 27, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    See this makes me mad, all of us kids were raised on manual, my dad stressed the importance of teaching it to us. He never gave the option of us driving any automatic until we mastered driving stick, that did not just mean shifting through all the gears either, taking off on very steep slopes without an emergency brake using the heel/toe trick also. I hate to see manuals dying out as America gets lazier and lazier, it is sad. If 15 years from now they are no longer putting manuals in Tacomas or any compact/midsize truck, I will just rebuild mine. Manual transmissions will never die in my family for years to come.

12. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner

I completely Agree!!! I just didn't want to come out and say it, but I think driving an auto is the lazy way out. I'm also sad to see it dying out. Its becoming harder and harder to find a manual in any car or truck you look at (except high end sports cars).

I can see where an auto is easier/convenient for some people.

The stick shift is a dying art. I've had numerous jobs over the years, where I've been asked to jump in a truck/tractor/machine and its been a stick shift. Thankfully I can drive a stick. Tons of guys on the job sight, have no clue how to drive a stick, they grind away at the gears and stall out, it's embarrassing to watch.

I think it should be mandatory for people to learn on a stick shift. Then have the option of driving an auto after they pass the test. Just sayin. I'm not hating on autos, they have there place, just not for me.

13. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Short bed for you then

End thread

14. Sep 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    That's funny. No less control with an automatic. Autos can still manually shift into gears for those situations which call for it. I do it frequently when Off Roading.

But Oz is right... Either a short-box with manual tranny... Or long bed with auto and your heart will die a little each day. :laugh:

15. Sep 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    finally! you are one of the first people besides some of my friends to agree with me! Amen brother, learn to drive stick or dont drive at all! It would definately weed out all the lousy drivers in America so they would be forced to take public transit and keep off our roads which is a good thing. I have only one vehicle that is an auto and that is my 78 Ford Bronco, all other vehicles I have had were stick.

16. Sep 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    I have a access cab v6 TRD Off road, my whole family fits comfortably in the access cab! Both me and my wife are not short by any means. I am 5' 10" and my wife is 5' 9" our son is three and half year old and his car seat fits fine in the back. Its actually VERY easy to take him in and out of the seat do to the rear suicide door and no B pillar!

On the whole auto vs manual debate...MEH I drove stick for EIGTH years and just know switched to auto. I would NEVER go back to manual in my daily driver. I drive a lot in the city and I have to make/receive phone calls a lot while driving and make notes, auto is perfect for that. But hey whatever floats yer boat!

17. Sep 27, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    nope they do not make this

18. Sep 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Being able to drive a stick shift does not automatically make you a better driver , it merely makes you a driver able to drive a stick shift .

19. Sep 27, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Rusty99

Rusty99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Vehicle:
    Wannabe Taco owner
    I've mulled over the access cab a few times, even taken one for a test drive with my GF sitting in the back cab. In the end 4 doors just makes more sense for me as I regularly take passengers on weekend road trips (4hr drive) to the mountains for kayaking and climbing trips.4 Adults plus climbing gear or kayaks in the box.

6 Ft box needed for:
    - quad (6'10" length) will be sitting on the tail gate partially. I'm curious about how guys with quads put them in the 5ft box. Note:full size 700cc quad weighs alot also. (would love to see some pics if someone can point me in the right direction.
    - Sleeping (I'm 6' tall)
    - Lots and lots of gear on weekend trips (firewood, skies, white water kayaks (6ft or more), mountain bikes, dogs, cooler of beer, tools.....

In the end, if I do choose a Taco for my truck (I a new vehicle desperately and semi quickly, it would have to be an auto (insert sound of my dreams shattering and heart breaking :( I'm currently driving a 1991 ford exploder that's on its last legs. I've been towing a utility trailer as my truck box up till now. But I've purchased a little holiday trailer that I want to tow with me and still have the quad and other gear with me.

Manual still rules!!! but auto seems like the crappy compromise I might have to make. Gonna see what else is out on the market. Looked at full size trucks but there too thirsty for my fuel budget.

20. Sep 27, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    thats the thing though, so many people would rather not drive at all then learn to drive a stick, so that keeps them off the roads and God only knows how many bad drivers are in that group, just saying.

Products Discussed in

To Top