1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does my roof rack look dumb?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dsds, Apr 5, 2008.

?

Roof Rack - keep or remove ?

1. Keep

125 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Remove

160 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. Apr 6, 2008 at 12:04 AM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    We? As in you're a midget? Does Toyota offer a midget option package?

2. Apr 6, 2008 at 5:13 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Man I'm torn on this. I voted to remove but not sure. I can only go by looks and to me it kinda looks cool in some way...beefier. But also it can look...dare I say...a little metrosexual. :rolleyes:

3. Apr 6, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    surftodd

surftodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    3 inch Trux suspension lift Upgraded Bilstein Shocks Upgrade spring pack Custom Rock-Crawler Wheels 32 inch Kumho MTs Rear Jumper Seat- makes truck a seven person vehicle Tow package Rear Fog lights New Roof Rack Running Lights Cargo Extender Rack Bed Cover
    dsds

Do you use them? As a surfer I have had much use for the top racks... I also have the d-cab...but currently no rack..so I am in the market for one.

I usually use the Saris rack system, but ran into issues with the bars overhanging the sides of the vehicle's roof. I had two passengers step on my running boards to get into the truck and whacked themselves really bad in the head on the overhanging bars. One actually needed stitches....

I like the ones that you have for function over form. They don't over hang over the sides of the truck ( avoids head hitting problem) and they collapse for more aerodynamic performance. I would have the cross members set up for use during the summer to carry my boards, but then in the winter, would collapse the system and remove the pontoons for better aerodynamics. I don't think they look to bad either-just my opinion..

If you do decided to take them off..shoot me a message...so I can make you an money offer. I could also send you the replacement rubber capping for the groves, once you remove them...

4. Apr 6, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Function far outways fashion, if it works good, doesn't wack you too hard on fuel mileage, then it's a green light from me , I was looking into one myself.

5. Apr 6, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    slackdaddy2001

slackdaddy2001 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma DoubleCab, SR5 Offroad Pkg.
    I agree with many on this thread that function over fashion wins. Also, if you have a need for the racks why wouldn't you get them. If you need to move something & need the racks to assist which would you want, a scratched roof or a supported roof? At some point the truck needs to be a work vehicle vs. a show piece. It is a show piece with or without the racks. Personally I like the way the racks look.

6. Apr 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM
    TacoMon

TacoMon Northern Alliance Gynecologist

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DC SB TRD Sport Indigo Ink Pearl
    TRD stickers removed, oem running boards, ipod2car, Combi-cam locks for bed storage doors, Covermaster E-300 tonneau cover
    I think it looks good especially since you have the oem running boards too.

You don't see very many with the roof rack so your truck is at least slightly different than most on the street.

7. Apr 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM
    dsds

dsds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB
    Thanks for all of your opinions.

I've decided to keep the roof rack even though I don't like the look of it up there.

I have to haul an extension ladder every so often and when I put it in the box I've been weighing it down at the front since it's so long it tips out. I plan to make a bed extender similar to the one they sell at Harbor Freight ( ) but with a bar that will be level with the roof rack.

You can bet that if I did remove the rack, the next day I'd have a job requiring the big ladder.

One thing I noticed with the bars in place across, you sure can hear a lot more noise even at city speeds.

Cheers!

8. Apr 7, 2008 at 7:53 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i voted to remove them just because you seem unsure about them. sounds like you dont really dig them too much. but if you use them then i say screw what tehy look like and keep em

9. Apr 7, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    boks

boks From Michigan!!

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2020 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    Rhino RTS ditch mount roof rack tracks Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover Yakima tracks on Bed rails LED Interior Light upgrade Former Vehicle: 2007 4WD TRD-Offroad Double Cab
    I'm not a big fan of the factory racks... hence my Yakima roof rack. However, with that said, I say keep them. You never know if you'll need to throw something on top and carry.

Boks

10. Apr 7, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    FamouzStarz

FamouzStarz The illest taco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 TRD PRO
    ICON Build and then some
    remove them the truck looks like hawk from the road warriors tag team

11. Apr 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I like em'.

I am actually looking for a set to put on my truck. I just got to find that missing money I put somewhere... :rolleyes:

12. Apr 7, 2008 at 11:52 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    Not my taste, but hell its your truck do whatever works for you man!

13. Apr 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM
    erock

erock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR Tint Window, Magna Flow 2.5 Catback, TRD CAI, 3" Revtek and TSB, 33" Toyo MTs
    Cig Lighter Will tackle the Rear Locker Always On soon
    I say ditch the rack. Looks like hadle grips on a sled or boogie board. Kinda what another guy said. Not terrible, just doesn't work for me.

14. Apr 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM
    no_werries

no_werries Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simcoe County, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 reg cab Indigo Ink 5 speed
    CAI, 2 1/2" rear lift AAL, Ready Lift strut ext. & diff drop = 2 1/2" front lift, tweaked clutch, Magnaflo Muffler & Custom exhaust 265/75/16lt Nitto Terra Grappler 8ply on stock rims. Huskyliners
    I like em reminds me of my friends 2002 Sucpercharged Frontier, which would half to be one of my favourite trucks next to the tacoma, but ye you need the nerf bar step up to set it all off!

15. Apr 7, 2008 at 4:44 PM
    rocivm

rocivm miss south !! haha!!

Member:
    miami, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 radiant red x runner
    ..intek, halo ring proyector lights and fog, hid 8k, bed cover tuxedo, seat cover leather,black scoop hood, red line nitto tires, ...hehe and etc etc
    ok, so if u used them, dont removed it, but if u used it like for work or something, keep it, depends more on u than in opinions ,not everybody likes the same style on the trucks...

16. Apr 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    dsds

dsds [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary AB
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    TacomaWorld sticker, DRL mod, running boards, roof rack, remote start / security alarm, marker/turn signal mod, map light with dome light mod, TRD seat covers, rear spring TSB

OK, I can't stand it any longer!! I take back what I said before about leaving it on. It has to come off. It doesn't feel right to me.

For the odd time I use the extension ladder, I'll use the bed extender and leave the ladder sit flat in the box. If I don't get the bed extender I'll just put a couple of blocks at the front to weight it down like I've done before.

So, I kept the rubber channels *just in case* I needed them.
    Tape or a dab of silicone over the bolt holes, right?
    The back end of the channel slips in near the window so no worries there.

The front clips are broken away and I have to live with that.

So, what adhesive do you recommend I use to hold the front rubber channel down. Polyurethane (like PL400 constr. adhesive or Gorilla Glue)? Epoxy? Urethane (like when you put in a windshield)? Maybe epoxy putty?

17. Apr 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    So, are you interested in selling it?

GA

18. Apr 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I'm betting it was the Frontier comment that pushed you over the edge! :)

19. Apr 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Do bears shit in the woods?.........:eek:

20. Apr 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM
    Johnpa

Johnpa Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 PreRunner, Roof Racks, Short Bed in Radiant Red
    Extang Tonneu Cover, Nasta Bars, Magnet Bra, BedXTender,
    keep them.

They not only look great but when folded back are much more aerodynamic and less noisy than the standard roof racks that have the crossbars permantly set.

I have a set on my truck and have found them to be very useful and available when needed but out of the way when not used.

Products Discussed in

To Top