1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does my Taco have California Emissions?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bwilliamson, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    bwilliamson

bwilliamson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Magnolia, KY
    How can I tell if my 2002 Trd Ext Cab 3.4L V-6 has California Emissions? I read someone online that if the front oxygen sensor is call an air/fuel ratio sensor then it is equipped with Cali emissions is that true? What is the difference in Cali emissions and what the rest of the country uses?

2. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM
    3.4L

3.4L Well-Known Member

Member:
    just look under the on hood on the sticker.. It will tell you if it meets california emissions. Honestly many times, all California emissions means is that the manufacturer paid the California AIR Resources Board $$$ per car to be able to sell it in California. If you are thinking of removing it, Don't.. it will not run correctly and the benefit to taking it off is really small if anything.

3. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    No - that is not true.

4. Apr 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM
    bwilliamson

bwilliamson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Magnolia, KY
    Thanks Enola thats pretty much what I was looking for. As far as removing anything I figure the guys at Toyota are alot smarter than me and if they think it should be on the truck then I think Im gonna leave it there :)

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    greenguy

greenguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    west chester
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Crew Cab
    Actually from what I understand it is not to easy to tell if it is Cali equiped. Im also told that cars in New York also have the same emission systems. Those cars usually fall into North Jersey as well. If something breaks on the system it is also expensive to fix. The best way is to ask a dealer to run your vin #. They can tell that way. There might be a numerical order in the vin that tells, but I dont know what it is.

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    3.4L

3.4L Well-Known Member

Member:
    its very easy, assuming you have the original hood on your truck.. It will say it in black and white.. Meets California emissions or approved for sale in California etc.

But I will bet you dollars to donuts, it means nothing.. its always been all about the $$$

Case in point: When I came out to California back in 1997, I had a VW Rabbit GTi 1984 model. It was a federal emissions vehicle and as such I was told that I needed to pay 300.00 to register it in CA on top of getting it smogged and license fees etc.

Well, I found out through a friend in DMV headquarters in Sacramento that it had nothing to do with actual emission standards ( because my car actually PASSED the emissions tailpipe test BETTER than the CA standards!!) but it had to do with when the car was manufactured, VW did not pay ( or the new owner when it was purchased through the dealership) the requisite fee to The CA air Resources Board) so now that I was bringing it into CA, I was the one that had to pay it.

Well I said Bullshit I will not pay!

So, I went to a junkyard, found a hood decal of an identical 84 GTi that stated CA emissions, replaced mine with it and Voila! I passed emissions. Amazing huh!?

A couple of years later, that law was ruled illegal and DMV had to refund anyone that paid the ridiculous fee. However, manufactures are still required to pay.

So there you have it.. most of the time the emission standards are the same no matter which state you belong to.. Its just that some are more greedy than others.

Another interesting fact: You cannot buy a new car or truck from outside of CA unless its from one of the 5 states that has the same "emissions" standards. ( I call it extortion standards heheh) However, when the car or truck had 7500 miles on it, you can import it without a problem.. Amazing huh?!

7. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    well my 02 looks like it has 2 cats and it was manufactured in CA. My 03 was built in kentucky (I don't remember if it had 2 cats or not.)

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    JESSMAN

JESSMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    ARB BUMPER WARN M 8000 LIGHT FORCE LIGHTS Bill 5100 DOWNY FRONT LIFT RANCHO OLD MAN E REAR and JERRY CAN IN THE BED
    Yes you do!! all cars in USA have CA. Emiss.

To Top