1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does the iPod interface come standard on any Taco's?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DestinTaco, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    DestinTaco

DestinTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver PreRunner Off Road DC SB
    Challenger tube step, OME 884 Coil, 2" AAL, Weathertech vent visors
    Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks.

2. Apr 5, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    ilg

ilg VanCity Taco.

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD O/R 4x4 6-Spd
    WeatherTechs, Yellow Fogs, Alpine X-100 iPod Stereo, Custom Seat Covers, Debadged, Locking Bed Compartments, Black Front Toyota Emblem, AVS Vent Visors, Colour Matched Grill, TRD Shift Knob, Eagle Alloy 187s in 16x8 wrapped in 265/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Black Chrome TRD Badge on Tailgate, Black Rear Bumper, 8 in shorty antenna, 5100s @ 2.5.
    No, but the 09+ has an auxiliary audio input. That's the best you can do from the factory.

3. Apr 5, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    Kauluwela

Kauluwela Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TACOMA DOUBLE CAB V6 6SPD TRD
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    I just purchased and installed a GROM Audio Ipod Interface. Easy install and works very well. It connects to the back of the stock receiver and takes the place of a CD changer (other than the stock 6 disc). Very satisfied.

4. Apr 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    DestinTaco

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    So your saying if you get the factory 6 disc changer you can't have the iPod interface?

5. Apr 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    tmcmanus7

tmcmanus7 Does The Noise In My Head Bother You?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Oxford, MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl cab 4X4 TRD Sport
    - 2 Red TRD decals on hood scoop - 2 Red TRD stickers on lower back glass - Black Bull Bar - Westin Fog Lights on Bull Bar - Black 4" Nerf Bars - Polished Devil Hornes
    Integrated iPod Interface is an option for $299 and all it is is an iPod plug up in the glove box so if i were you i would just spend about $15 on a cord

6. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    TOYTEC SPACER, OME 885'S, OME STRUTS, TOYTEC DIFF DROP KIT, TOYTEC CARRIER BEARING DROP KIT, LIGHT RACING UCA'S, DEALER TSB'S, OME AAL, OME SHOCKS, VISTA TOP, GROM AUDIO IPOD INTERFACE, ALL PRO EXTENDED BRAKE LINES, ALL PRO SLIDERS, FULL LIMO TINT, AMERICAN RACING MOJAVE WHEELS, WILD COUNTRY XTX 285-70-17, HI-LIFT, TOYTEC HI-LIFT SLIDER ADAPTER
    X2 on the aftermarket connection. The disc changer still works fine...there are 2 settings in the reciever.... DISC and DISC1. The aftermarket integration device uses DISC1 which is never used unless you plug something into the port in the back of the reciver.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV8Z5pCZGjU for a great install video. Very happy. It charges the ipod, and controls it from the steering wheel.

GROM Audio is awesome.

7. Apr 5, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    "Integrated iPod Interface is an option for $299 and all it is is an iPod plug up in the glove box so if i were you i would just spend about $15 on a cord"

My GROM Audio connector was exactly $101 out the door including shipping - a far cry from the purported $299.

Purchased on March 14 and was at my house by March 18. Took 10 minutes to install. Also has an auxilary plug for MP3 or other input. Clean sound. Easy to control.

8. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    $101.00 out the door is not bad considering a decent double male cord to plug into the aux is between $15-$20 and an official Apple car charger is double that. You may have sold me :D

One question though, did the wiring come pre-done? I've bought aftermarket stereos before and I've never had one already connected. If that is true, I'd be more inclined to purchase. Where did you order from?

9. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    My truck had the iPod interface in it when I bought it (used) I replaced the HU and the Ipod interface is a pretty chunky unit. lots of wires and RCA inputs. Worked well But I would not have paid $300 for it. It sits with my stock HU in a box in the attic.

10. Apr 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    All pre-wired. Just plug and play. Got it for $101 from GROM Audio.

11. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    Thanks Kauluwela!

12. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    DestinTaco

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a lot for the input. I'll go with the aftermarket one and do it myself.

13. Apr 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    SRTchris

SRTchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Access 6speed
    Stock
    Have to check this out.

14. Apr 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I can't speak to Dice or most other brands, but I have 1st hand experience with Grom Audio and the OEM kit on a 2011 Pre-Runner.

The Grom box is having problems reading the ID tags - basically (edit: Only when pressing the text button) the headunit sends a loud pop out to the speakers then shuts itself off - losing all radio presets, etc. This happens on an iPod and USB stick. Also it turns on the iPod, but does not shut it down when the ignition is turned off. They are diligently working through the problem with me (I would like to also use USB sticks), but for now the 2011 model Tacoma is not supported by Grom.

The OEM box was $169 including tax (today) at my local Mr T parts counter. It works with no issues and is Apple certified (excepting it doesn't work with nano iPods IIRC). It has the added feature of being able to search via album, artist, genre and song. I am syncing up my iPod (latest version 64GB Touch model) as I type this and have over six thousand songs, so being able to jump by artist is a lot better than jumping by ten songs on the grom.

One last weird thing (all non-JBL). The Grom works (partially as described above) with a 6-CD headunit I purchased from a forum member. The OEM iPod interface would not work with the changer unit, so I switched back to the original "came with the truck" single-CD headunit, and everything is fully functional (including the interface to the Blu-Logic Bluetooth device). This is pretty strange since the 6-CD changer is also from a 2011 (and actually has a newer date code than the Tacoma itself (Truck and single-CD=Nov 2010, 6-CD=Jan 2011).

15. Apr 6, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    Kauluwela

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    Mine is a 2007 tacoma with a JBL reciever unit, cant speak to a 2011. So far, the GROM box recognizes all tracks on both my older "vintage" Ipod and my Ipod touch. I have not had the problems you are describing, but like I said, I can only speak to my experiences, and it is good to hear of others experiences and possible product flaws!

16. Apr 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    king22spade

king22spade Member

Member:
    First Name:
    king22spade@yahoo.com
    king22spade@yahoo.com
    Vehicle:
    king22spade@yahoo.com
    bhlm, black badges,black stock jbl stero,2.5'' level kit, k&n air filter.
    this might be a dumb ? but i have the jbl 6 disc changer will it work with it

Products Discussed in

To Top