1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does the Nav have an altimeter reading?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by JoshyP, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Mar 28, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    I think the real question is whether anyone has ever got the Nav voice recognition to understand them even once? As for elevation, the data is there in the map database. If the truck knows your location, it knows your elevation. The fact that the Toyota SW doesn't display it is evidence that they have no real idea how many of us use their trucks. The same with the pale gray on pale green display of minor Forest Service or BLM roads ... the map database is actually quite good, it's just impossible to see "offroad" routes on our "OffRoad" trucks.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  2. Mar 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    I agree. I would assume the mapping is all the same - Navteq, most likely, same company that does Garmin and probably every other GPS. It's how Toyota chooses to use and display this information, and the interface they design to allow the user to access the information, that sucks balls.

My 2017 is a base so I don't have nav, and that's okay my me. A Garmin on Hondo's vent mount works way better. My 2014 4R had nav and I actually lost my shit on it on a trip to Idaho just before I sold the truck, and bought the Garmin (57) at a Wal -Mart along the way. $100, and it's such a superior design and appropriate to our use.

Products Discussed in

To Top