1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does the Radiant Red still fade?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by w103tws, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:53 AM
    w103tws

w103tws [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    so I had a 2000 rad red that was pink and required a good buffing once a year to keep it red. I used good wax every couple of months, but it seemed that no matter how well I kept it, the paint always turned back to that milky pink haze.

I'm now looking at some 07's in radiant red, but am skeered that they'll do the same thing. Anybody have any experience with this on the 2nd gen's?

Thanks

2. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    Blue07Taco

Blue07Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    ^ All red paint does it. It's called oxidation. Red is one of the worst colors for oxidation. But when polished back out, its one of the best looking colors IMO.
    When I had my red 05 I had to polish it once a year because of this. It was even parked in the garage all the time. Most people dont notice a slight oxidation but after running a detail shop for almost 4 yrs, I really notice it.

3. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    w103tws

Member:
    so will it still oxidize if i keep a good wax on it, say, do it every 3 or 4 months?

Also, is it mostly toyotas that have this problem, or is it an equal curse across the board?

Does polishing it frequently remove the clear little by little, so eventually after several years all of my clear will be gone?

4. Aug 2, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    Blue07Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    Yeah it will still oxidize. Maybe not as fast but it still will eventually. It has something to with the sun. I dont know if it bleaches the pigments in the paint? I used to polish mine twice a year with a highspeed buffer, a foam polishing pad, and a good cleaner wax. I dont think that a frequently polishing it will remove that much clear. If you were to buff it alot with a compound that can eventually wear the clear coat down because it cuts into the clear and thats how it pulls scratches out.
    Its not just Toyota's red, all red paint does it.

5. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I've had mine... for about 2 years now and I haven't noticed any fading...and I've never really waxed it. I've used quick detailer after every wash. I recently switched to Mequirs conditioning car wash soap and damn, it looks like I waxed it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Blue07Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    You have a nice looking truck. Oxidation shows up the best in sunlight.

7. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    thanks, but...
    [​IMG]

its dirty here...(I just drove 200 mi)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pictures from about 4 months ago
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

older
    [​IMG]

I don't think mine has faded...maybe slightly, and I live in California... I do park in a carport though

8. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    w103tws

Member:
    Well, those pictures have pretty much sold me on getting another rad red. Mine was identical to yours (except it was a 2000) and looked amazing after a polish, but it would start hazing over after about 6mos. I was just afraid that by polishing or using a light cut very often would leave me with no paint left.

I'm not opposed to polishing and waxing every month, it's just I don't want to find out 5 years from now that I have been rubbing all of the clear coat off, and then have to get it painted before selling it.

9. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I have not waxed this truck... I just use quick detailer, however I recently switched to a conditioning soap and it shines without anything other than washing

10. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    Blue07Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    Its blue
    TRD intake/ exhaust
    It's hard to tell in the picks. The paint is nice a shinny still. In these two pics it looks like you can kinda tell its starting to oxidize under the bed caps (kinda looks pinkish). But I can't tell if its just to color of the sunset. Next time you wax it try claying it first. That will allow the wax to directly on the paint for better results, and the wax will last longer aswell.

11. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    sunset

better pic
    [​IMG]

rear
    [​IMG]

12. Aug 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    w103tws

Member:
    these trucks do have clearcoat, correct? The reason I ask is that I really don't think my '00 had a clearcoat

13. Aug 2, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    yup

14. Aug 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    w103tws

Member:
    Thanks guys.

15. Aug 3, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    My dad has an 06 RR. its kept in a garage at work and home most of the time, but does park in the sun every once in awhile. it has faded a bit, but it's barely noticeable. Most of the RR trucks ive seen are pretty good, ive only seen one or two with a noticeable, but not bad, amount of fading.

Products Discussed in

To Top