1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does toyota dealer jack up prices of parts

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Marick cucinella, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Jun 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    Marick cucinella

Marick cucinella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marick
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4 double cab
    Knn intake
    So I'm looking to replace my fuel filter and want a genuine one and called the dealer and they said they have one for 54$! Is that worth it I see alot going for 10-30 but want the best

2. Jun 23, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    Andy01DblCabTacoma

Andy01DblCabTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab v6 4x4 TRD
    F: Kings SPC, R: 5100s+J59s. Custom armor.
    Get your VIN (and save it to a text document for easy copy and paste access) and head over to parts.toyota.com (the Toyota company site, not a dealer-specific site). Select a vehicle using your VIN, and find your part and number. Then search high and low across the dealer / wholesale parts sites to find a price that you feel comfortable paying. I believe there is a dealer that gives TW members a discount, but I usually end up getting OEM parts from toyotapartsdeal (however some other members have reportedly had a difficult time returning parts to them, so your mileage may vary).

The important thing is that you use the Toyota site to locate the right part, and then chose a site/dealer of your choice to get a better price.

Edit:
    One word of advice on the parts.toyota.com site- It's often better to choose a category and find the sub-category and part you need, rather than trying to search for the part by name. Toyota often names parts much different than the common term... Also, the reference number in the diagram is NOT the part number. You need to either click the part in the diagram or use the reference number to find the true part number in the table below.

For example, I searched "fuel filter" and the results turned up every filter except the fuel filter. I had to choose the Fuel System category, select the Fuel Injection System sub-category, and then click the "view more images" to find a diagram that matched my vehicle (there appear to be two different diagrams for differing throttle bodies on my year, but the fuel filter is the same part number in both).

Toyota list the MSRP of part: 23300-62010 (2001 Double Cab DLX 3.4L A/T 4WD) @ $46.66

while I can easily find the part elsewhere for around $32 bucks. Shipping might cost a couple bucks more.. but I usually am buying parts for more than one project, so ends up being less of an issue.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    ca08tacoma, TWJLee and Gunshot-6A like this.
  3. Jun 23, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    McGeorge Toyota has been consistently cheaper even with shipping costs added on by MILES over what my local dealer wants for stuff. Parts.toyota.com to find what you need then go hunting.

Rock Lobster likes this.
  4. Jun 23, 2021 at 11:36 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Toyotapartsdeal does a good job of finding the cheapest deals on dealer parts in their network, but being a conglomerate site if they or the dealership your parts comes from messes up your order, you might be SOL. I've ordered from them and had a good experience but others haven't.

McGeorge is a popular dealership to order online from, good prices

My local dealership has a huge markup on parts and won't price match unless it's a price from a competitive local dealership. But they all price gouge here.

For a fuel filter, I would just pick up a Wix branded one from O'Reilleys. They're like $20 and mines worked great for 6 years

Digiratus likes this.
  5. Jun 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Unless you have an account or are on a first name basis with the parts manager your going to get quoted list price.

Online dealers can pull parts out of the warehouse and direct ship with a few key strokes

6. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:04 PM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    I drive a Miata.
    Not necessarily "price jacking," per se. Its that some dealers charge MSRP, while other dealers sell at a "discount" (i.e. profit margins that aren't quite as rapey).

I second parts.toyota.com, though for filters and such (even fuel filters) I never had qualms about going aftermarket.

7. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:10 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    You know Toyota doesnt make fuel filters, right? Or oil, ATF, oil filters etc etc.

Any name brand part should work just fine.

8. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    An3

An3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    White '96 Manual 4x4
    Also remember, if it's a local dealer then they either have an OEM one waiting for you or they will have an OEM for you tomorrow. No waiting for non-OEM parts

9. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    Andy01DblCabTacoma

Andy01DblCabTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab v6 4x4 TRD
    F: Kings SPC, R: 5100s+J59s. Custom armor.
    While it's obviously true that Toyota doesn't make these components (and a multitude of others that make up their products), I disagree with the "any name brand should work just fine" aspect. While I haven't specifically seen a detailed analysis specifically for fuel filters, there are loads of studies / tear downs on oil filters, and the name brand range from "better than OEM" to "I wouldn't put this in a lawn mower". So just as with most things in life, you get what you pay for, and if you're in adventuring into aftermarket land, it's worth doing a bit of googling to make sure you're not selecting a commonly known inferior product.

10. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    el_burro

el_burro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    I think it depends on the part. At least in my use, I haven’t seen any difference between name brand and aftermarket cabin and engine air filters.

11. Jun 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    yes, they do. So does the sales department, used car dept and the service department. Each department in a dealership has a "number" they have to meet every month, thats how the dealership business works.

12. Jun 24, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    Marick cucinella

Marick cucinella [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marick
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4 double cab
    Knn intake
    I ended up getting it from the dealer I appreciate your help guys!

Products Discussed in

To Top